Replace 600W HPS with LED

They already have...and I do appreciate the advice, however in my experience cheaper is rarely better...its more of a choice due to other circumstances. I can afford the HLG's, and that is where I will stay. I want to make sure I am getting a good "replacement" for my HPS. If I like the results, I think I will eventually add a 650r between them with my two UVB's between the 650 and 350's. I have done some (need more) research...and HLG is top of the list.
Exactly. I understand trying to save money but you dont want low ball your lighting. HLG is bomb and is guaranteed to yield you over a lb per light. And it will be high quality stuff.

there's only a handful of places printing boards. budget led, hlg, spider farmer etc all have the same or similar suppliers. they don't print the boards themselves.

the biggest difference will be whether they are printing epistar or samsung leds. most of your lower cost boards will be epis. even brand name boards will wind up with epis masquerading as lm's, as samsung doesn't produce enough to supply the market.

a majority of builders have the capacity to print more than one type or brand of chip on the same board. this is why you can get far red chips and different kelvin printed together. most of the development envelope is opposing mfgrs printing and trying different combinations of chips. they all have the ability to do it.
Actually HLG does make thier own boards.

I went from using 600w hps lights in a 4x4 to two SP250 lights in a 4x3 and I will never look at another hps light ever again, even though my leds are entry level I beat my highest yields with my first led grow compared to hps and got way better quality.

I also use 2 TSL2000s that are dimmable that I'm also getting better results with and let's not forget the less heat!

HLG does not print them. they buy the printed board and do final mfgr.

the boards themselves are printed in taiwan and china. india and south korea also have some printing ability. the US no longer has printing.

edit : should clarify the US no longer prints in commercial scale. there is research still done

the boards themselves are printed in taiwan and china. india and south korea also have some printing ability. the US no longer has printing.

edit : should clarify the US no longer prints in commercial scale. there is research still done
GM bluter.
You have convinced me that you know LED lights .
Can you give me a couple links I might go to get educated please ?
Thanks.

go read through led gardener dot com. it's more for diy, but will give you a good comprehension of different types of led rigs.

also have a look at the grow doctor buying guides. there is a good explanation of q boards and differences between mfgrs.

I went from using 600w hps lights in a 4x4 to two SP250 lights in a 4x3 and I will never look at another hps light ever again, even though my leds are entry level I beat my highest yields with my first led grow compared to hps and got way better quality.

I also use 2 TSL2000s that are dimmable that I'm also getting better results with and let's not forget the less heat!
I wasnt banging on mars or sf they are perfect entry level lights but if youve been growing a long time and understand lighting a little you should be aiming for the higher end LED's but like i said in an earlier post it all depends on your budget. Ive seen awesome grows with sf and mars and if you like them keep rockin em.

i been real hard on mars too for certain things.

the new gen is better for sure. jury is out for few things at the moment ..

The qb288s they make in the usa. Im not sure about the 648s i know samsung actually makes those.

The qb288s they make in the usa. Im not sure about the 648s i know samsung actually makes those.
they are all samsung leds. samsung does not produce commercial led in the US any longer. samsung is a korean company. they print near all their production in china. they have research facilities in the US.

there are some economic and security issues surrounding the led industry. all caught up in international stuff.

All that matters is the diode (LM301B) the driver (Meanwell) and in what configuration.
The brand name is meaningless.

I opted for a custom strip lights printed on a thick aluminum strip using LM301B and Cree XP-G3 Photored diodes.

I get the same 2.8+ ppf/w
Same 1700+ PPFD

2 year warranty on strips
7 year warranty on driver

About $350 less cost

If you're comparing Brand H vs Brand M then in general you get what you pay for, usually if its cheaper its because they cut corners.
But when you're talking all parties using the same diodes, same drivers there's not many corners to cut.
LED lights are super simple.

As far as I can tell, Budget LED is using top diodes and drivers with basically the same configuration on the same boards, their 650w is about $100 less.
There should be very little if any difference between HLG and Budget.

If you want any real difference in quality and price you build it yourself.
Otherwise just pick the diodes you want and find who has a sale on.

they are all samsung leds. samsung does not produce commercial led in the US any longer. samsung is a korean company. they print near all their production in china. they have research facilities in the US.

there are some economic and security issues surrounding the led industry. all caught up in international stuff.
Right my bad they did actually stop producing them in the usa the demonstrationi watched was a couple years ago. Didnt realize that:hmmmm: But it still doesnt neglect the fact that HLG has samsung actually make the modules. Anyone can buy the LED's but the difference is samsung makes those for hlg and only hlg. You gotta be carful with cheap LED's they have no problem ripping you off buy selling you a fake knockoff.

hlg has the largest mark up in the industry component to component. they build none of the components themselves.
they do the final build. they are in essence a fabricator. all led mfgrs are fabricators.

anyone can buy the diode hlg uses - lm301b or lm301h. if you have the cash you can buy them too. hlg has exclusive rights to nothing but what they charge you.

hlg has the largest mark up in the industry component to component. they build none of the components themselves.
they do the final build. they are in essence a fabricator. all led mfgrs are fabricators.

anyone can buy the diode hlg uses - lm301b or lm301h. if you have the cash you can buy them too. hlg has exclusive rights to nothing but what they charge you.
They engineered the first modular board dude the design is theirs. And they use lm301h in all thier boards every other company uses the b and even have trouble building thier boards because hlg owns the rights to the modular design. And samsung specifically makes the modulars for hlg. Trust me man they arnt some bullshit company.

there is zero difference between the emitters.

there is a marketing campaign pivoting on the confusion between lm301b and lm301h, and nothing else.

edit : both are commercially available to all regardless. i have worked with led in another industry. the stuff is not like sourcing canned unicorn meat.

i should be clear i do not hate hlg. they have first rate builds. as do many of our sponsors

see what i did there .. :cheesygrinsmiley:

love ya 420 ..

there is zero difference between the emitters.

there is a marketing campaign pivoting on the confusion between lm301b and lm301h, and nothing else.

edit : both are commercially available to all regardless. i have worked with led in another industry. the stuff is not like sourcing canned unicorn
I know i read about them i was curious its just the hs are top bin top bin and the bs arnt or somethin id have to go back and re read the article. But yeah they designed it first so they get the best stuff and first dibs. I like talkin lights lol i get kinda i guess rude my bad bro. You still have some solid points about other companies being able to purchase some of the diodes alot of Chinese brands us epistars and arnt entirely truthful in thier descriptions. One funny one ive seen is the ppf for the sf4000 lol they are advertising it at 12 inches from the canopy and hittin ove 2k ppf lol.

they are actually binned the same..
both come in different bins and cri.

the truth is samsung themselves set aside particular printing runs for horticultural use. it was a production decision, to meet what they thought was the market, and had nothing to do with performance or development. those runs were designated h.

however the grow industry had other plans. and plants. loads and loads of plants.

as a result the h's got chewed through quick, and the b's started getting subbed. of course the internet got hold of this, and the halo around h's was born.

samsung itself farms out the production of the emitters. the mfgrs needed to have production / cri / bin numbers to meet the contracts that samsung handed them. the h confusion was born in the middle of this.

then ali baba and others capitalized on the confusion, claiming all sorts, and muddying the whole thing up
it's still the binning and cri you need to pay attention too. and those specs are always available.

Back
Top Bottom