Shiggity Goes Mad Scientist: Paving The Yellowbrix Road With DIY Adventures!

That all looks sweet Shiggity. Is this a full time job for you? if not you must be one of them people that goes mach 10 for 18 hours a day just to keep up.

The terrible thing is by nature I am relaxed and lazy. But when I work I like to break a sweat. Someday I will be full time. It's the only thing I have never hated. I love being lost in a world of green. This SIP and scrog stuff is new to me also so it's taking some time. And I foolishly planted 72 seeds so I have close to 50 confirmed females. Cloning and keeping them happy while trying to remodel the grow has been nuts.

I have the habit of doing something till I get it figured out then have to move on to another challenge. I think your candle for the next little bit is lit on both ends and in the middle.

Thankyou shiggity and clan for the great answers ,I'm slowly learning more every day about led .
I've purchased mars led to begin with and I will be building a beast like you shiggity ,that is if u could please be available for light build guidance on the way .
Please come and have a look at my journal and let me know if you can help solve my biggest problem which is being able to use led like I do hps in that I hang bulbs bare horizontally to have a sea of green underneath and a canopy on each side grown as trees if u get me.
Can I build a led that illuminates not only down but sideways too?
How bout a panel facing down and hinges on both sides so a panel on each side can be lifted into multiple positions?

Thankyou shiggity and clan for the great answers ,I'm slowly learning more every day about led .
I've purchased mars led to begin with and I will be building a beast like you shiggity ,that is if u could please be available for light build guidance on the way .
Please come and have a look at my journal and let me know if you can help solve my biggest problem which is being able to use led like I do hps in that I hang bulbs bare horizontally to have a sea of green underneath and a canopy on each side grown as trees if u get me.
Can I build a led that illuminates not only down but sideways too?
How bout a panel facing down and hinges on both sides so a panel on each side can be lifted into multiple positions?

Headed there to look PW

Ok back. I think your idea is super cool. To be able to swivel the side pieces would be key. And alternative is just to make an adjustable V.
2 long heatsinks with a hinge in between and a threaded rod with bolts that could be fed through holes in the heatsink to change the angle of the V.
Could be done that way with 3 boards like you are saying but I bet the 2 board V would be fine since the angled boards emit light in 120 degrees. Less bright at the 120 degrees than straight down but you will have overlap between the boards.
When I'm done with some lights tomorrow I will mock up what I mean for you by zip tying two rails together.

I like your horizontal/vertical scrogs, may have to try something like that. Yield/sq ft will rock.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look ,yes your right a v could potentially do the trick .
I came up with this to improve grams per watt for hps and if I can do it with led I'm sure grams per watt can be higher than 2 gm per watt.

Now you have me thinking of putting vertical trellis around the border of the current grow and putting some of the stretched plants from Veg around the edges of the 8x8. Make an espalier.
420-magazine-mobile999512034.jpg

Shiggs could you maybe give a run down of components used for your build. It would be good to know where you got everything at but that may need to be PM'd. I have been looking through COB builds and they seem almost as pricey as some kits. I found a supplier of the boards and the site had 3 different kinds all for $50 a piece. After looking at Cree's for $45 each the boards seem more reasonable. Thanks in advance :)

Those Amare lights are sweet lights. But yes with boards you can cover more area more evenly.

I have no complaints for what they do, they have done their job well. I orginally put 2 of them in a 6 1/2 foot X 45 inch X 8 ft tall closet, and had to buy a window unit ac to keep temps right, electric bills were huge. I then chose to buy a 4X4 Gorilla tent, and used one light (didn't want excessive heat) the amare continued to perform, but the plants in the four corners leaned way into the light. I agree with Versai in the amare thread (he also used a light meter to measure light values at different heights and such) that the 450 is suitable for 3X3 as a single light source, but not 4X4. ideally, I would like to move back to the closet scenario with scrog and free up the room the tent is in.

EDIT: I should also note that I recently purchased a growers choice 630 DE cmh for the next run in the tent.

Now you have me thinking of putting vertical trellis around the border of the current grow and putting some of the stretched plants from Veg around the edges of the 8x8. Make an espalier.
420-magazine-mobile999512034.jpg

Kinda looks like a vertical flux.

Back
Top Bottom