Shiggity Goes Mad Scientist: Paving The Yellowbrix Road With DIY Adventures!

I can't tell you how glad I am to hear I wasn't the only one to seriously underestimate the power of the boards. :laughtwo: I nearly cried a whole run of babies under them when they first fired up. You caught your mistake faster than I did mine. :high-five:

Damn Shiggity! Talk about a jungle! :thedoubletake: When they start to stretch in flower you're gonna have a hard time wading through the room. Lol! You do good work. You have to be pleased as punch to have inspired all this light manufacturing. :battingeyelashes:

Looking good shiggityflip, gonna be stunning when they flower :passitleft:
From your mouth to Jah's ears Mr A!
Glad your alive man ,plants looking good ,are those 60 litre tubs
They are 27 gallon tubs with about 20 gallons of soil and a 7 gallon resevoir. So I guess more like 100 liter tubs.
I can't tell you how glad I am to hear I wasn't the only one to seriously underestimate the power of the boards. :laughtwo: I nearly cried a whole run of babies under them when they first fired up. You caught your mistake faster than I did mine. :high-five:

Damn Shiggity! Talk about a jungle! :thedoubletake: When they start to stretch in flower you're gonna have a hard time wading through the room. Lol! You do good work. You have to be pleased as punch to have inspired all this light manufacturing. :battingeyelashes:
I'm just happy to have helped the people that are inspired to do new lights for themselves! And wow yeah I was thrown off at first because I thought it was the SIP going anaerobic. It's hard sometimes when you renter new territory. If I had only changed one thing it would have been easier to decide what the issue was.
Plants looking great and stuff, 1st time here and have to admit I'm liking that pinkish coloured scrog. I'm a nooby grower and clearly it looks like I need a coloured scrog to increase yield. Thanks for the help.
Yes the pink string reflects light back into the growing buds lmao!

:popcorn:
High folks!

Welcome back, Stage! :ciao:

You gonna be around for awhile? Shiggs has been plain' coy, too. :laugh: Ever since he got those boards he's been too busy doin' other important stuff to hang with his old friends, y'know?

We miss your voices in the neighborhood. :Namaste:

Heya Shiggs things are looking very fine to say the least our friend. Well, new lights showed up yesterday so we are off to start putting them together. We'll take a few pics along the way because I'm sure we will have some questions, 1st thing we noticed is the heat sink seems to be for 3 boards but we are only running 2 boards per heat sink so we are thinking boards to the ends of the heat sink and leave center spot open?? They look awesome though and don't seem too hard to put together by what we watched in the HLG video anyhow but none of the three kits they showed were the kit we ordered so I think we'll follow the closest one and see how that goes.

Blessed Buds our friend and be well :passitleft:

Heya Shiggs things are looking very fine to say the least our friend. Well, new lights showed up yesterday so we are off to start putting them together. We'll take a few pics along the way because I'm sure we will have some questions, 1st thing we noticed is the heat sink seems to be for 3 boards but we are only running 2 boards per heat sink so we are thinking boards to the ends of the heat sink and leave center spot open?? They look awesome though and don't seem too hard to put together by what we watched in the HLG video anyhow but none of the three kits they showed were the kit we ordered so I think we'll follow the closest one and see how that goes.

Blessed Buds our friend and be well :passitleft:

I'm so glad they arrived. Yes if doing 2 boards per sink then just leave the center spot open. What driver do you have to run the boards?

Welcome back, Stage! :ciao:

You gonna be around for awhile? Shiggs has been plain' coy, too. :laugh: Ever since he got those boards he's been too busy doin' other important stuff to hang with his old friends, y'know?

We miss your voices in the neighborhood. :Namaste:

Oh Graytail! I didn't know you cared gosh!
I would much rather hang out but my girls are screaming for me to finish the lights! I must must flip Tuesday latest or they will be just too damn big.
Here is the megafauna SIP. She is holding her shape nicely and I will tie her branches down to keep it that way. Looks like the scrog net is an efficient training method a la Stage dogcrate method. Kind of like a lazy mans flux lmao.

420-magazine-mobile179336442.jpg

Here is megafauna from the side. That's pretty darn low to the side of the SIP! Nice even canopy here.
420-magazine-mobile36946911.jpg

Here is Gorilladosha in the bamboo scrog. I need to tuck her shoots tomorrow but she is pretty even. 1 plant in this SIP.
420-magazine-mobile316039739.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1025685135.jpg

Here is sour bubble in a bamboo scrog. She is also alone in her SIP
420-magazine-mobile1616790995.jpg

420-magazine-mobile38655747.jpg

Here is Huck kush/sour bubble in PVC string scrog. She was yellow from too much light but is recovering fine. Destress tomorrow morning.
420-magazine-mobile1527162304.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1259749527.jpg

And here is pineapple fields in her pvc scrog. She was in the longest under the new light. I blamed her leaves on the SIP going anaerobic and didn't properly diagnose it as too much light without supplemental CO2. She looks better every day. Hope she recovers enough by Tuesday. Gonna try and add Co2 then as well.
420-magazine-mobile1897121820.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1714549849.jpg

Still have three more lights to wire. The frames are done. But I will finish all Monday for Tuesday's flip. And to ship one to a good buddy. (You know whom you are). Here are the two existing lights. They are up high to give the plants a break and to give light to the. Am ok scrogs and megafauna while I finish the two last arrays. I can't believe how dim these make the CMH look. For reference the white plastic in this picture is actually bright white not dark. You can't look at the boards directly for more than a few seconds. So I try not to look at them at all without sunglasses lmao.
420-magazine-mobile1470933074.jpg

That's more like it! :thumb:

The SIPs look great! You're going to get a hefty harvest.

But what panels are those? I'm looking forward to seeing the new ones. And, ahem, I've been calculating and getting a little worried about intensity, too, heheh. :laugh: How much headroom are they getting in that setup now?

That's more like it! :thumb:

The SIPs look great! You're going to get a hefty harvest.

But what panels are those? I'm looking forward to seeing the new ones. And, ahem, I've been calculating and getting a little worried about intensity, too, heheh. :laugh: How much headroom are they getting in that setup now?

The panels in front? They are from my original DIY light "the beast" 4K sunboards from the Photon Phantom. They are being run at 75W each (600W total) and have 240 Samsung Lm561c diodes s6 bin. I really like the sunboard checkerboard arrangement. It sheds heat for each diode better with all that space. The sunboards are 10 x 14" with less diodes. No heatsink needed at 75W or under so these are being run without.

I have the 66W of Cree xpe photo reds on that light as well. I obviously won't turn them on until flowering.

The new boards are on the light in back. They are being run at about 85W each. Six boards total for @520W.

All the lights are about 2.5' above the plants right now. I will probably keep them there and let the plants stretch upwards towards them. I will raise them if I see leaf curl or yellowing. I am thinking of running the wires for the drivers up to the next floor and keeping the drivers there. Should help the cooling load quite a bit to not have the drivers in the same room or even the same floor! Adding CO2 for flower should help the plants deal with the high intensity. Which brings me to my next project.

420-magazine-mobile870686542.jpg

No this is not for hot showers after working in the garden...um well maybe it will be lmao. This is a tankless liquid propane water heater. It turns on when water goes through it. People use them for camp showers, outdoor house showers, construction sites, glamping, food trucks, and now Co2 for growing! I will hook up an AC fountain pump to a Co2 digital controller. To prevent issues with ethylene gas (ripening signal to plants that results in possible stunting and early lower yields, I will vent the room a few times per day. Ethylene can be produced by ripening fruit and in this case during start up of the propane. When the flame is just starting some incomplete combustion products including ethylene are produced and can build up over time. If I can't get a controller at first I will calculate room volume and use a timer until the controller can be hooked up.

Adding to post: oh yeah I forgot to mention. The water heater will pull from a dedicated filtered 50gallon resevoir. I may put it in the room above like the drivers. That way it will redistribute the heat taken from the water heater outside the grow. At most the heater will be on for several minutes so I think this 2gal per minute water heater will do just fine to remove the heat associated with propane burning.

I want to see how this hot water tank is going run, I might need to do something also with this new light. Or dial it down. Really want to see what co2 can do. Thanks shiggs
Me too Bucky. I will draw a diagram too to make it easy for people to duplicate. If I get really inventive I could use my hot water heater tank as a resevoir.
i thought i was already subbed to this thread but i gaffed, better late than never!
Haha I do that all the time. But there is always a spot for you here! Have some sour bubble in my davinci IQ vape!

Back
Top Bottom