So, I’m filling the rez with water PH’d at 6.3 but, I just checked what was is in there before topping up and the PH is 8… should I be accounting for that and adding my top off water at a lower ph to try to bring it down some?
The plants look really good right now. Except for needing a little defoliation

IMG_3372.jpeg

IMG_3371.jpeg
What is the res ph after top off?

If it is still high, I would drain the res and add All New.

Hmmm. I don't ever pH my water (probably should) but that's crazy high, and since the plants drink from the rez and can only absorb nutrients in a fairly limited pH window (see link in my sig from @OGpapa ), I would think you'd want to get it down, well below 7.

I had to do this on my current grow. In fact I had to drain what was in the res and do a full flush to get things back in order. I’m using promix though so that might be a completely different scenario.

The res is pretty low right now so I’ll go 5.5 and see where it comes out at.. thanks guys

5.5 put it at 6.1. It will creep up a bit I’m sure so, we’ll run with that and see what happens

Skip the cal/mag for now, it is known to raise ph in soil.
I added a half dose of the cal mag. Having already been fighting the deficiency, I don’t want to stop it and go backwards. But, like you said if it’s a PH related issue, this should help it and I can back off it slowly if no more issues show up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not layered, firmly packed down in the reservoir zone, fill the reservoir the day before potting up to allow the wicking to start.

If starting from seeds I've found it best to start in small containers and uppot a couple of times just like you normally would.

Good luck, and welcome to The Club!

Not layered, firmly packed down in the reservoir zone, fill the reservoir the day before potting up to allow the wicking to start.

If starting from seeds I've found it best to start in small containers and uppot a couple of times just like you normally would.

Good luck, and welcome to The Club!

Thanks for the reply/info. I have grown outdoors in the past. (its been over 20 years) Indoors Legally is new to me and these SIPs seem to be the best way to go.

I have some Jiffy small pete pellets to start the seeds, some Happy Frog and Ocean Forrest and some Perlite. Going to start my first attempt in 5 gallon buckets (just like the old days)

Few more questions I've been searching for...

Should I fill the mesh pot that extends into the water resevoir with perlite ?
If I need to adjust PH do I add to the water fill tube ?
Do I add plant food through the water fill tube ?

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the reply/info. I have grown outdoors in the past. (its been over 20 years) Indoors Legally is new to me and these SIPs seem to be the best way to go.

I have some Jiffy small pete pellets to start the seeds, some Happy Frog and Ocean Forrest and some Perlite. Going to start my first attempt in 5 gallon buckets (just like the old days)

Few more questions I've been searching for...

If I need to adjust PH do I add to the water fill tube ?
Do I add plant food through the water fill tube ?

Thanks for the advice
This is a long thread with a lot of good info on many ways to do the same thing.
The mesh pot gets filled with soil packed tightly.
If you look in my post above yours, you will see where I’m adjusting ph by adding water through the fill tube.
I am feeding from the top but, like I said there are many ways to build a sip and just as many ways to run one.
I think we are all trying things our own way and using everyone’s experience and input here to fine tune our set ups.

No. You want the same mix as the rest of the container so that it has the same wicking properties but, as @Olddog Newtrick mentioned, that part gets packed firmly. The rest of the container gets filled with your mix and firmed in like you normally would.

5.5 put it at 6.1. It will creep up a bit I’m sure so, we’ll run with that and see what happens
It has crept up this morning to7.3
Still better than 8 though. I’ll keep off setting it with each watering and see if I can get it to stabilize.
As long as we keep trending down.

Tell us again what you use for your soil mix and nutes?
Soil is fox farms ocean forest and nutes are all fox farm as well. I’m using the dirty dozen and feeding at week 4 (last week of veg on the chart) I’m not using the flower kiss and I bumped the grow big up a little to get more nitrogen and hopefully green them up a little.
Feeding 1 quart twice a week
IMG_3172.jpeg

Depends on how long you're planning to veg. @Buds Buddy filled a tent with one SIP plant and vegged 6 weeks I think?
Yes 6 week veg. Started quad-lining asap to get max. branching. Defol at 6 weeks, wait 3 days (they heal fast) & flip to flower. That was in a 5 gal. SIP in a 4x4 tent. Did the same thing in a 12 gal. tote expecting a bigger yield.... but makes no difference. Same yield. Want bigger plants, you just have to veg longer. I could just imagine how big an 8 week Veg plant would be in a 5 gal. SIP. Probably pull 2 lbs. I've gotten 19 oz. from one plant in a 5 gal. SIP. Only happened once though. Must of been a really good seed.

Like Azi, I quit ph-ing. But if you want to drop the ph use drops of lemon juice. Put a drop or 2 wait 15 min. & check it. If still too high do it again. If it gets too low add a pinch of Baking Soda to bring it back up.

Highya Chuckeye,

Gorgeous buds being back built!! I love to watch them fatten up after they're pinched!! Great job! Happy Smokin'

Back
Top Bottom