Soil, Cabinet, CFL, Supercrop, FIM 1st Grow

A question for those wiser than myself. I had originally intended to use one of the 200 Watt CFL's for vegging and the other for flowering. But I'm thinking that I should use both the 2700 & 6500 CFL together for both vegging and flowering.

That would give me a not too shabby 400 Watts of CFL light for my 1 or 2 plants. I just have to jury rig a new reflector for those big boys. These CFL's are about 15" long.

I figure I'll just rotate the pots every day. Is this an OK thing to do?

Just looked back to check on your lights and I found this back on page 1. What you have is one 26 w daylight and one 26 w soft white, correct? Forget that it says 100w equivalent. You will need several more. Check out this tutorial by Roseman: CFL Light Tutorial

just wanna say the pics show good improvement. it looks like the ladies are resuming their normal growth and with minimal damage. expect the damaged leaves to fall off on their own, and dont worry when they do :welldone:

Looks like a perfectly healthy plant! Forget the damaged leaves as they don't mean anything. It's the new growth that matters.

Take a pic of this 'stillborn' plantling maybe it can be fixed.. but we'll need to see it.

I don't think you can place the pics side by side.

#1 newbie mistake is to over water (especially when they're young) so be careful and all will be well. Great job!

The plant had virtually no growth for several days and it's currently less than a quarter the size of the bubblegum. It was always larger than the bubblegum. But I see it's growing again and I'm not too worried now. I definitely don't over water.

I have a pic of the retarded looking sprout, but it's grown a little since my last comment. So I'm not too worried about it. It's just pretty weak and stunted looking compared to most new sprouts.

Just looked back to check on your lights and I found this back on page 1. What you have is one 26 w daylight and one 26 w soft white, correct? Forget that it says 100w equivalent. You will need several more. Check out this tutorial by Roseman: CFL Light Tutorial

Hehehe, no it's not an equivalent. The bulbs are 200 Watts each and 600 Watt equivalents. Have you ever heard of a 15 inch 26 Watt bulb? :winkyface:

Here's a pic of one of the bulbs next to a standard 100 watt incandescent bulb. These babies are monsters and why I was burning my plants with it.

200_watt.jpg

just wanna say the pics show good improvement. it looks like the ladies are resuming their normal growth and with minimal damage. expect the damaged leaves to fall off on their own, and dont worry when they do :welldone:

I completely agree with you Phil. I didn't want to cut the leaves off because photosyth was taking place in the green parts. Also, it's already had severe trauma, not sure it could take anymore. Since the Big Bud started picking up again, the damaged leaves are really perky and raised at an angle that towards the light - like arms reaching upwards. For several days they were limp and lying on the soil.

you should cut the dead part off so the plant will focus on whats alive, right?

I had thought about cutting the brown off and leaving the green part of those damaged leaves. But again, I didn't want to cause any more trauma. I think the brown parts are dead, so there's no energy going there. Probably the biggest risk is infection of some kind. But I'm not worried. Like Phil said, they will probably fall off once it's starts growing and the light get's blocked by healthier leaves.

Thanks so much for the comments guys. I really appreciate not doing this alone.

My big ass CFL is at 10 inches now, but I sense that it's still too close. There's probably no info on how far to keep a 200 W CFL from the canopy. It seems the plants are doing a lot better with it raised to 10 inches. I suppose I should just take it up another inch or two and see how it goes. The bubblegum might have grown an inch since I raised the lights, so I have to at least account for that.

Here's a link to where I got them and what it cost.

I assume two of those babies in a small grow area will be OK? I guess I'll find out because I built that damn DIY double big ass bulb fixture and I'm gonna use it! ;-)

Very nice and a descent price also

hey Ug. those CFLs are indeed awesome, but they got noticeably hotter than your standard sprial CFLs do.

i only mention this cause ive seen a lot of posts saying CFLs can be a couple inches above the tops, however i strongly suggest having your CFL higher than u would with the more common (spiral) CFLs

good luck! :allgood:

hey Ug. those CFLs are indeed awesome, but they got noticeably hotter than your standard sprial CFLs do.

i only mention this cause ive seen a lot of posts saying CFLs can be a couple inches above the tops, however i strongly suggest having your CFL higher than u would with the more common (spiral) CFLs

good luck! :allgood:

When I had the light 3 or 4 inches from the plants the temp at bottom or middle of the plant was in the upper 70's low 80's, but clearly it was too close because of the wrinkling that was happening. Since the temp wasn't that hot could it have been something beyond the temp that the plants don't like? Could it be too intense or is that not possible for a CFL?

Regardless, the light was raised last week.

When I had the light 3 or 4 inches from the plants the temp at bottom or middle of the plant was in the upper 70's low 80's, but clearly it was too close because of the wrinkling that was happening. Since the temp wasn't that hot could it have been something beyond the temp that the plants don't like? Could it be too intense or is that not possible for a CFL?

Regardless, the light was raised last week.

Could have been to hot at the canopy. My grow gets into the nineties and no heat issues. You can usually tell just by placing your hand under the light and finding a perfect distance that way. If you can leave your hand at the position without it being to hot to leave it, your OK. That whopper of a light you have, I'm sure gets very hot up too close.

I've mentioned I have very low humidity where I live. It runs about 20%. I had read that hanging wet towels can raise humidity a lot. Well I accidently got a shirt completely wet. I wrung it out and was going to hang it to dry in the bathroom, but thought instead to let hang over the bar my light is hanging from in the temp grow closet.

I've done 2 days in a row and it keeps the humidity at 50%. I was really surprised by that as the closet is not tiny - though it's crammed with stuff. I'm not sure how much humidity really matter, as I've seen some very successful journals with low humidity. It's nice that you don't need a dripping wet cloth and it's almost dry the next day, so mold isn't an issue.

I'm not sure there's a place to hang a towel in my permanent cabinet, how important do people thing humidity really is?

Another thing is that my Bubblegum is like 17 days or so and I was looking for preflowers with my naked eye. I think I can see them and it's a girl. But I'm probably looking at the wrong thing. I'll be doing a picture update at 3 weeks old on Thursday. I try to get some macros of the preflowers then and get some other opinions.

Also, that injured Big Bud definitely looks alive and it's kind of growing, but it's severely stunted. I think it's become a marijuana bonzi. :peace:

I may try the towels also as I have very low humidity like you, I've been misting a lot to compensate.

It would be unusual to see preflowers at his stage (17 days veg). Normally you wouldn't know after you switch to 12/12. Like you said take some high res. pics (or macro)..

I may try the towels also as I have very low humidity like you, I've been misting a lot to compensate.

It would be unusual to see preflowers at his stage (17 days veg). Normally you wouldn't know after you switch to 12/12. Like you said take some high res. pics (or macro)..

Hey Woodsman! I'm referring to preflowers that can be seen in the veg stage. I've copied and pasted one of the posts on this subject and below are links to threads that discuss it. They say it's possible to see even before 3 weeks. I have a loop around here some where which would give me a better idea of what I'm seeing.

~~~~~~~~~

By Luvtogrow

By inspecting the preflower with a magnifier. 90% of strains will show sex by week 3 from seed germination. The rest before week 4. An eyelupe works best for me.
Start looking around the 6th node or above. There are 4 possible locations per node for the preflower, but in early veg(3 weeks and earlier) you'll only see one or two on the entire plant. There are four stipules (look like small thin pointy grass blade) at each node. The preflower is located behind the stiplule, in front of the new growth branch. It will emerge as a bump and develop fast (like overnight), generally the male emerges rounded and the female more pointy at the end. The early give away besides the round/pointy tip is the male will show a separation between the stem and the emerging preflower as in a stem from a stem with a ball on top, the female shows no discernable separtion and appears continuous from stem up the preflower, usually fatter at the bottom and gradually leading to a pointed tip. Easy, male roundness, female pointyness. Until you know what you are doing, just move the "males" to the outside of the grow and "females" to center or prime light, until you are certain of ID. Really hard to do early without a magnifier! Easy to do once you know how!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm it's not letting put embedded links. Here are the raw links....

How can I tell if my seedling is male or female without flowering it?

What are preflowers?

I took a closer look. I can't see sheeet yet. I really can only see 3 nodes clearly. There's a 4th node, but it's all bushy in there. She's got some more growing to do first.

I want to start supercropping, but I'm a little scared. I can barely fit my fingers in there to do it any way. If there's good growth by Thursday, I'll probably give it a try. It's such an amazing technique and from reviewing them all it's seem to this newbie to be one of the best out there. I shall see ;-)

I took a closer look. I can't see sheeet yet. I really can only see 3 nodes clearly. There's a 4th node, but it's all bushy in there. She's got some more growing to do first.

I want to start supercropping, but I'm a little scared. I can barely fit my fingers in there to do it any way. If there's good growth by Thursday, I'll probably give it a try. It's such an amazing technique and from reviewing them all it's seem to this newbie to be one of the best out there. I shall see ;-)

I'm also getting worried about it in my grow. It's definitely doable higher on the plant. I'm planning to do it lower down and I'm afraid of doing terminal damage. Check out this tutorial: Supercropping - a tutorial

I'm also getting worried about it in my grow. It's definitely doable higher on the plant. I'm planning to do it lower down and I'm afraid of doing terminal damage. Check out this tutorial: Supercropping - a tutorial

Hey Woodsman. Here's a link to an amazing tutorial on Supercropping. The same author gives an equally amazing tutorial on FIM'ing. I can't recommend them more highly. They're much more impressive techniques than the link you posted suggests. I guess that's why I included them in the title of this grow.

Supercropping

FIM'ing

Hey Woodsman. Here's a link to an amazing tutorial on Supercropping. The same author gives an equally amazing tutorial on FIM'ing. I can't recommend them more highly. They're much more impressive techniques than the link you posted suggests. I guess that's why I included them in the title of this grow.

Supercropping

FIM'ing

Thanks Ugwad, I've saved them to my desktop and will read them both. They are better!:peace:

Back
Top Bottom