Soil, Cabinet, CFL, Supercrop, FIM 1st Grow

Hey Phishy! Yes, it seems the leaf wrinkles stopped when I raised the light. The deformities that originally occurred still remain, but there are no new ones. The Bubblegum is doing very well overall. The injured plant is growing, but it's a dwarf. It's stem is fucked up, so the part in the ground is thin and hardened, then half way up the stem is 2 to 3 times thicker, green and normal looking. I think the nutes have a hard time making their way up that thin damaged part of the stem.

Will have a big update shortly. Yesterday I got my AC to DC adapter to power the PC fans which was the last part I've been waiting for to finish my cabinet. I'll give a tour of my cabinet and the different DIY's I've done. All the PC fan to AC power source tutorials or posts I could find are kind of lame. I think I can explain it more clearly than others.

Hey Phishy! Yes, it seems the leaf wrinkles stopped when I raised the light. The deformities that originally occurred still remain, but there are no new ones. The Bubblegum is doing very well overall. The injured plant is growing, but it's a dwarf. It's stem is fucked up, so the part in the ground is thin and hardened, then half way up the stem is 2 to 3 times thicker, green and normal looking. I think the nutes have a hard time making their way up that thin damaged part of the stem.

and when you transplant i would bury the bad part of the stem, maybe new root will form, and it will strengthen the plant a little.

Will have a big update shortly. Yesterday I got my AC to DC adapter to power the PC fans which was the last part I've been waiting for to finish my cabinet. I'll give a tour of my cabinet and the different DIY's I've done. All the PC fan to AC power source tutorials or posts I could find are kind of lame. I think I can explain it more clearly than others.

Yea, its super simple, 12v transformer off of some random electronic, cut end off, splice black with black, red with white. I have 2 fans running off of one 12v linksys transformer (wonder if that would cut the power in half to run 2, like 6v to one and 6v to another?) If you see anything about that link me up. ;]
cant wait for pics....:bravo:

Hey man. Thanks a lot. I am a fan of the real Lou, so I thought of a little tribute.

Anywho, your plants look nice and I like your bulb. :) I'm gonna get something like that when I have some extra cash. I just use home depot CFLs and LED lights I ordered online.

Alright, take it easy, I'll be around.

I attempted to finish the cabinet today and transfer everything from the temp closet. Unfortunately, things didn't go so smoothly.

I ended up breaking the $61 veg CFL :-( So, now I'm using the flowering light during veg. Not sure what that will do. I'm guessing not optimal veg growth.

The question is should I buy another veg bulb or use an adapter and put what ever the biggest CFL they have at Home Depot. They probably only have a 40 something Watt bulb. If I could find a 75, I'd probably just do that.

The cab is not very stealthy, computer fans are surprisingly loud in the cabinet compared to the fan in the temp closet.

Not sure what's up with the computer fans. They go on and off by themselves. At first I thought it was because the exhaust vents are not large enough and there was some kind of back pressure that shut them down. But even when the doors are open and air can blow right out of their chamber, they shut off too.

With them going on and off it might get very warm in there. That could be a serious problem.

The PC fans out put 0.53mA and my adapter is 1.0 Amp. A friend told me that would be fine, but it could be that 0.06mA is over loading the adapter??? Maybe a little of both.

I definitely need larger exhaust vents because when I feel air flow with my hand, what's blowing out of the cabinet is less than what is flowing backwards inside the cabinet on the side of the fans that should be sucking air out, not blowing it in.

I'll tell you it's super bright in this cabinet. If I would have had both large CFL's going it would have been incredible. I think it would penetrate the canopy very well.

Some pics below....

Below is the cabinet. It's made from a Sterilite plastic cabinet sold at Walmart and various stores. I forget the exact dimensions it's like 68" X 19" X 26". Those are generous, there's actually much less room in there. It's lined with Emergency blankets. I got 5 for $5 online each one large and I have plenty left over. I mostly tried to put 2 layers because when you hold it up to the light you can see through it. But when there's 2 layers it's completely opaque.

10-17b.jpg

10-17c.jpg

I built the fixture out of some pine, 2 mogal sockets that a very nice home depot worker actually wired to a pigtail (a cord and plug) for me. This way I could light both large bulbs at once - if I hadn't broke one :-(. The reflector was made from a $7 dryer exhaust they have at home depot. The cool thing about that is that you can cut the metal very neatly with scissors. The helpful people at home depot tried tin snips at first and that was very messy.

It worked out very well, but the fit in the cabinet is tight and a bit of a bitch. But it's on chains and can be raised and lowered as needed.

The lower shelf is where the pots sit. It fits two 4 gallon pots in easily. I heated the lower shelf on the stove to make it dip in the middle a bit. This is to get water draining from the pots to move to the center. I drilled holes in the shelf so water can drain into a container below the shelf. This way I can water the plants in the cabinet and not have to remove them to drain.

The upper shelf has the computer fans mounted to it. The intention is to place Ona crystals in the chamber when the plants start to stink. If you haven't read some of the posts on Ona crystals they sound amazing. I've never heard such consistently positive feed back on their effectiveness. Well my little Ona chamber should be perfect when the time comes and I get the exhaust vents large enough. Below is a pic of what I'm calling the Ona chamber. You can see the chains that are attached to the shelf on the other side which are hanging my DIY fixture.

10-17d.jpg

Lastly, below is a picture of the computer fans. It's hard to tell but they are mounted to a shelf. You can see fairly well in the pic that both red wires from the fans and the black & white wire from the adapter (hard to see in the pic, but one of the wires from the adapter is black with light white markings) are all twisted together. Both black wires from the fans and the black wire from the adapter are all twisted together. The computer fans have a 3rd yellow wire. That has nothing to do with the power and I've just clipped them back.

10-17a.jpg

The trick to wiring your PC fans with an AC to DC adapter, or some kind of charger adapter, is matching the amps and volts. So, if you have PC fans that are 12V you must get a 12V adapter or they won't run at full speed. If your PC fans run on 0.5 A and you are connecting 2 of them, you need an adapter that has at least 1A (1000mA) of output. If you connect 3 of them then you need an adapter with at least 1.5 A. Again, if you don't they won't be powered properly and it will probably damage them eventually.

Most of us have pile of these adapters lying around the house from various old electronic equipment we've owned. But it's not common to find one that will have a full 1A (1000mA) output. I searched on the net and found a 12V 1A adapter for a little over $5 and free shipping. Radioshack sells them for $20 plus tax. The point is that you can find the exact adapter you need on the net for cheap rather than using the wrong one that's lying in your draw.

Another option would be to get 2 400mA transformers and run them to a small power strip. A cheap 3 pluged one would do.

I have been running two fans on one 400mA and have had no issues, they both work the same either together or by themselves.

You are correct about that though, and i will promptly fix mine in the morning. Thanks for the info, +rep

I calibrated my pH meter and checked the distilled water and the run off. The distilled water was roughly 6.9 and the run off was 6.7. The meter was driving me a bit crazy. But those numbers were fairly consistent.

Dunno about the injured plant. I've had the tent off for 5 hours or so and it's not looking so good. It's upright, but all the leaves are wilting badly and the stem is looking a thinner. I'll leave it off until the morning and if it's the same or worse I'll go back to the tent. I think I better germ some more seeds! ;-)
ugwad,
I would'nt put the tent back on. I would mist it 3 or 4 times per day, for a few days. That plant's not gonna die !! It's just a damm weed !! Maybe back off on the light for a couple days. And shoot the cat !! :yummy::bong:

ugwad,
I would'nt put the tent back on. I would mist it 3 or 4 times per day, for a few days. That plant's not gonna die !! It's just a damm weed !! Maybe back off on the light for a couple days. And shoot the cat !! :yummy::bong:

Hi Slowpuffer, I think you missed some posts. :grinjoint: The tent is long gone and the plant has recovered. It's a dwarf, but it's green and growing. Will have update pics for week 3 tomorrow. Thanks for the input anyway, I appreciate it, the thought. :peace:

Week 3 Update :ganjamon: I went to a big hydroponic store today to pick up some Bat Guano. I decided to go with Bat guano that's specialized for entire grow cycle, much like all the expensive nute products out there. However, Bat Guano is organic and really cheap so it's a win win for me. I plan on making a tea of bat guano and black trap molasses. There's some great posts on this, if anyone's interested I'll get the links for them.

Below is a picture of the guano kit I bought. It contains 4 types of guano and a feeding schedule. I had decided to buy 3 types individually and not get the kit. The reason is that Mexican guano is used in the first 3 weeks of veg and since I have Fox farms soil I don't need nutes for the first 3-4 weeks. However, the guy at the hydroshop was very cool and he sold me the kit for the same price as the 3 individual guanos (~$28). I suppose I can use the Mexican for composting. You can see the different NPK values on the box.

2-18g.jpg

The guy at the hydro store also said, when it comes to CFL's, light waves didn't matter. He said it was a big issue for HPS and MH lights. That made me feel better about my broken veg light and that I'm using the flowering light during veg. I'm inclined to trust him because he lost the sale by by explaining that to me - he was aware of that. I might still get another light, but I'm not stressed about it and now I can wait to get something cheaper by mail.

Here's the Week 3 Bubblegum top view.

2-18a.jpg

Here's a side veiw

2-18b.jpg

Here's a close up of the Bubblegum's forth node. Still can't sex it. Hopefully by week 4. I was hoping to sex it before tansplanting to the 4 gallon pot. Not sure if I'll wait or not. What do you think? I think I'll supercrop first.

2-18h.jpg

Here's the injured Bigbud. It's a lot bigger now. It's about a 1/3 the size of the Bubblegum. But it used to be about 1/4 the size ;)

2-18c.jpg

Here's a look at that narrowed stem of the injured Bigbud. Someone suggested burring the stem deeper on transplant. I placed at least half the above ground stem underground when I replanted her after the cat attack. You're probably right and I'll bury some of that healthy stem too - but it looks like the first node will have to go with it.

2-18d.jpg

Below is the Northern Lights baby on it's 7 day Birthday. The labels fell off and I'm half sure it's NL. It's kind of stretched and flimsy. Almost falls over with watering.

2-18f.jpg

Lastly here's the Pure Afgahn baby. Part of the seed shell never detached from the first leaves.

2-18e.jpg

Welp, there's my Week 3 update. I'll be mixing up some Guano tea tomorrow. It has to sit for 2-3 days. We have these things called "Water Stations" where I live. It's reverse osmosis water and they add ozone. It's cheap and looks really good except there pH is low from the O2. Hopefully the guano is more alkaline.

Does any one know good reliable ways to adjust your water pH with house hold items, like vinegar or NaBicarb? Or should I just buy proper up down kits?

Hmmm... I think this has become an abandoned journal. Abandoned by everyone but me! ;)

Just a lil update...

1. I re-potted my Bubblegum last night. I decided to cover the soil with hydrotron clay pellets. Advocates of this technique say it holds moisture longer, soil isn't moved away from the plant during watering and it allows for roots to grow closer to the surface than they normally could. That makes sense to me, so I thought I'd try it. The only thing I'm concerned about is not being able to easily tell when I need to water.

2. I also just super-cropped for the fist time. I probably should have waited a bit longer after transplanting, but the plant was looking fine and I couldn't help myself.

Actually, I didn't think I could super-crop because the space was too small for my fingers - and I don't have fat fingers. But it was like a zit that needed to be popped and I could control myself.

3. I did a foliar feeding today with Black-strap molasses. Actually the Bubblegum was looking wilted this morning. When the lights went out at 10 am I did the feeding. I read that it should only be done in the dark and when the temp is in the 70's. When I came back home ~4:15 pm the Bubblegum wasn't wilted any longer and looked really good.

I don't know if I can attribute that to the foliar feeding, but at least things didn't look bad :grinjoint:

Will make guano tea tonight... will sweeten with molasses... YUMMY!!! :cool:

Below is the aftermath of my super-cropping. :peace:

2-21b.jpg

Close up

2-21a.jpg

Front side

2-21c.jpg

hey buddy things are lookin good. males usually show before females, so no news is good news in that department. by latesta few days after 12/12 you'll begin to see signs of sex :peace:

Hey Phil, thanks for reminding me about males showing early. That makes me feel better ;) My original intention was to sex them via examination of pre-flowers before transplanting to the large pots. Definitely no sign of sex yet. According to what I've read pre-flowers will show in 100% of plants by week 4. That's next Thursday.

The plant is smaller than a lot of other grows, so maybe week 4 is week 5 in my case. Either way, my I was planing on vegging the largest plant for 6 weeks. I might push that to 8 weeks because things are slow and to let the others catch up.

I just need 1 or 2 females, but if I get more than that I'll feel awful about getting rid of them. If that happens I might grow more than one in a large pot.

Oh btw, funny thing - to me anyway - about the super-cropping. In just 3 hours I found it flipped over to the other side - i.e. it stood all the way back up and flopped over in the other direction. Then just a few hours later it's now standing up right. I was surprised! :cool:

OK, I think I need some help. I'm looking at my plants many times a day and I think I might have some kind of mental disorder. This is going to be the longest 3-4 months of my life if I need to look at them 5 to 10 times a day.

Is this just me?

No, i am the same way. Its the first and last thing i do before i do anything. So i look in there a lot, I think i might be damaging my eyes.

I am trying to be more patient with them, but damn..

LOL definately not alone there. I'm the same way, and my BF does the same thing when he comes over to check on the kids- he's sitting in there on the floor moving leaves around and adjusting pots. I tried to take a picture of my cab last night and funny but 2 of the pictures ended up having his head in them looking into the lights :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom