Stoner's Kerala First DWC Grow

You know what..speaking of top feed.. I just remembered i have 2 small water pumps, why dont why just use them, and run a tube out the bucket, and on to the hydroton? Running the solution through a few times a day, for 15mins maybe, what do you think? Any ideas on that? ;)

That will work good. I'm working on a little dwc set up like that as well with a pump... The only thing that sucks is they adds heat to the water and also more things for the bad stuff to grow on... Once those roots hit the water tho don't keep your bucket topped up. As they drink more and more water the growth will explode as the bucket Loses water.. I let my 5 gal bucket get to about 2 or 3 inches before the bottom before I top up. I was told to try from another grower on her and my roots went crazy
image3567.jpg

These are roots when I switched to dwc. They exploded on growth only a couple weeks of being in it and not I have roots thinker then pencils and still growing like crazy
image4005.jpg

What kushmaster says is true I almost always let my Res get down to an inch or two before bottom ultimately stretching the roots and giving the roots themselves more room to bush out... just be careful ur plant might not like it so always check on ur plant.when doing it to be able to fix it before its to late if something PES wrong

Thats crazy, nice work man, and yea true about the pump generating heat and makin the water warmer..hmm..so what did you do, you used a pump at first, and once your roots started showing through u took it out?

See I'm on the other end with checking everything anymore I use to do it every day out of excitement but now I do not.. I have ph strips n noticedy ph was staying the same everyday so I quit checking everyday.. I personally think checking all the time gets u thinking u have problems when u don't. I spend more time into grow room just chillin looking at my plants n talkin to then then I do messing with the res n ph n all that stuff... I swear a little bit of love goes a long way lol

No I haven't had a pump at all I was going to get one but changed my mind.. I think the best thing to do when having a pump is putting in a little control res.. Running the water through will make it cooler.. The more water you have the colder it will stay.. I just top water fed the plants.. A pump I think is only good for cloning and veg for flowering I don't want a pump in my res it would get in the way of my roots n air stone...

This is true I stop checking my Ph after 3 days after I change my res. I've found that after the third day mine does not change but it might not be the same for you.

Hi mate.

first dont add nutes to ur res until roots are protruding out of net pots. its a waste of nutes as plant isnt going to use it. Because u have soil in net pots its not a good idea to constantly top feed. put if u dip ur pot on res then allow it to dry out it will speed up rooting. Ofcourse u would add nutes to res if u were going to dip ur pots. Ive never transplanted soil to dwc so i can say for certain how it will take, but there should be no problems so long as there was healthy rootball on seedling.

Make sure u add cannazym or similar to res wen feeding starts as it will take care of ur roots and breakdown any dead matter for uptake by plant. I dont recommend using h2o2 unless its required. h2o2 is more of a tool than an additive, if roots start to brown because of high water temps for example, then it would be a good idea to add. Remember h2o2 is damaging to organic cells. I suggest u add enzymes and products such as voodoo juice, piranha, tarantula or guardian angel. its much more beneficial to the plant and u will see an increase in yield and quality using enzymes as opposed to having a sterile res. That is just my experience but i have grown many thousands of plants.

i have a detailed dwc grow journal that may be of help to u. its a year or 2 old now but u should find some helpful info in it, i hope.

I only veg for short periods in dwc, 2 weeks usually and yield 6-12 dry oz per plant. this is from clones so u would expect to double that time from seed.

hopefully u can get something like this......

2013-03-18_16_23_47_-_Copy.jpg
2013-03-14_12_08_26.jpg
2013-03-14_11_43_09.jpg
2013-03-04_16_52_02.jpg
2013-03-04_17_06_17.jpg
2013-02-26_12_41_33.jpg

hope u dont mind the pics?

Im with you on that one Kush, i hate checking things everyday, i like to just maintain it, but until i have the recipe right i guess i cant help it, but worry lol.

And cultivator, good to see you on here, thx for droppin by. Since i already have nutes in the res, i guess i could dip my pot in it, like you said, but what exactly do you mean by allowing it to dry out, if my bubbles r on, spraying 24/7? I will stop the peroxide solution unless i need to, and you mentioned adding enzymes and such to the res, this is what im using, comes with a small Power Zyme bottle, its called the hesi kit and as a matter of fact if im not mistaken its an UK brand.

IMG_31472.jpg

the mist off the air stones shouldnt soak the soil. so dip pot then just let it sit with clear gap between net pot and solution. if wen the net pot is dry and light to touch and no roots have shown, just dip again.

As for the peroxide, like i said dont use it unless u absolutely must. its advertised in hydro shops as an oxygen booster which is true but its not worth the damage it does to root cells. It will keep res clean definately and plant will grow and can still be nice. but a healthy rootzone with enzymes and beneficials will def give u a better result due to the way the plant will take its nutes up. Ive documented this in one of my journals, i'll have to try find it.

If u have added any enzymes as well as h2o2, then u have just wasted the enzymes as the h2o2 will have destroyed them pretty quickly.

ive not used hesi before but i am aware of it. i find for dwc the canna aqua base nutes work best as they are very stable and mix well with other additives. but im sure the hesi will do just fine. make sure u keep ur ph around the 5.5-5.8 range. diff nutes will fluctuate faster and further apart, and also the rate at which the plant uses nutes will also affect ph. Fluctuation is a good thing as it allows a fuller ranger for easier nute absorbtion by plant. but try to keep the ph between 5.2 and 6.2 as thats optimum for dwc.

Also water temp is super important in dwc. 65-68f is perfect. its not too cold that its uncomfortable for roots but cool enough to hold onto the all important o2. Nute manufacturers will have us believe that their nutes all increase yields by a million%, reality is there are 2 ways to make huge difference to grow speed and yield. o2 in rootzone and co2 in the canopy. Done correctly, growth will go through the roof. i will post u a pic that is 3 weeks old in a min and u'll see what i mean.

the mist off the air stones shouldnt soak the soil. so dip pot then just let it sit with clear gap between net pot and solution. if wen the net pot is dry and light to touch and no roots have shown, just dip again.

As for the peroxide, like i said dont use it unless u absolutely must. its advertised in hydro shops as an oxygen booster which is true but its not worth the damage it does to root cells. It will keep res clean definately and plant will grow and can still be nice. but a healthy rootzone with enzymes and beneficials will def give u a better result due to the way the plant will take its nutes up. Ive documented this in one of my journals, i'll have to try find it.

If u have added any enzymes as well as h2o2, then u have just wasted the enzymes as the h2o2 will have destroyed them pretty quickly.

ive not used hesi before but i am aware of it. i find for dwc the canna aqua base nutes work best as they are very stable and mix well with other additives. but im sure the hesi will do just fine. make sure u keep ur ph around the 5.5-5.8 range. diff nutes will fluctuate faster and further apart, and also the rate at which the plant uses nutes will also affect ph. Fluctuation is a good thing as it allows a fuller ranger for easier nute absorbtion by plant. but try to keep the ph between 5.2 and 6.2 as thats optimum for dwc.

Also water temp is super important in dwc. 65-68f is perfect. its not too cold that its uncomfortable for roots but cool enough to hold onto the all important o2. Nute manufacturers will have us believe that their nutes all increase yields by a million%, reality is there are 2 ways to make huge difference to grow speed and yield. o2 in rootzone and co2 in the canopy. Done correctly, growth will go through the roof. i will post u a pic that is 3 weeks old in a min and u'll see what i mean.

Thx again for droppin by Cultivator, this the kinda info i needed to hear right now. I cant really do much about my water temps, naturaly their at 72F when the lights are on, but i do throw a frozen bottle of water in there twice a day..I will hold off on the peroxide and do some other readjustments based on the help provided by you guys.. Thx alot.. hope to see some progress soon, so i can update this and get it going :smokin:

no problem mate. here is a link to a dwc journal. my journals tend to have more than one grow running at a time so the title never tells whats actually happening in there. i'll prob start another hydro journal soon. i just havent been active as i was involved in a serious situation which meant i was busted for growing. luckily i was found not guilty at trial. so now its back to work ;)

DWC - Drip Irrigation Scrog 2400W

this also has some useful info in:

Cultivators Cultivation High Quality Yields

no problem mate. here is a link to a dwc journal. my journals tend to have more than one grow running at a time so the title never tells whats actually happening in there. i'll prob start another hydro journal soon. i just havent been active as i was involved in a serious situation which meant i was busted for growing. luckily i was found not guilty at trial. so now its back to work ;)

DWC - Drip Irrigation Scrog 2400W

this also has some useful info in:

Cultivators Cultivation High Quality Yields

Yea thats serious stuff, is no joke, u had a lot of heat on you goin to trial like that, but im glad it didnt break you, n now ur back working. Thats for u to see they cant stop this..n its growin more and more everyday.. But anyway.. i had another question..i just finished smoking then i went and did the readjustments real quick. I remember you said that having nutes in the res at this point is useless as the plant wont use it, but would it be harmful to have the nutes in there? Cause i figured since i have em in there, ill just leave em in there.. Or should i change to plain water?

Ok so changes have been made yesterday accordingly, i dipped my pot in the rez, i lowered the water level to about 4 inches below the netpot, only a lil bit of mist now hitting the bottom of the pot, and i readjusted my ph to 5.5 and 5.7 on the other one. Hopefully this will help the root growth, ima let it go like that for a few days and hopefully i can start seeing some roots coming out soon.

try chilling the water with frozen bottles til roots show. take them out when they do show as they can damage roots. if the water temp is over 70f it makes it hard for plants to take root.

Ty sir, i cant really measure the temp in my water anymore since i broke my thermometer, but it used to be around 72-73F with the lights on, and no frozen bottles in the water. Just the outside room temperature itself its at a steady 70F, so my res water stays about the same maybe a couple degrees higher. I have been addin a frozen bottle or 2 through out the day, tryin to keep it as cold as i can. Hope i can see some progress soon to update. Peace :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom