Tranquilgreen - Hydro & Soil - First Grow Journal

Roots are busting out of the bottoms, I love it! Geisha CJ is beautiful :Rasta:
:thanks: I didn't have a soft pot to put some of them in. I feel sorry for Geisha CJ, no chance to get out and stretch her legs. :passitleft:

I hope your plants perk back up it really is a fun hobby well at least it is for me

:thanks: It's a great hobby, or even more than that. It's an education, a means of producing our own medication and a great community such as we have on
:420:.

Thanks Whitty! All the ladies are drinking water like crazy. The transplants all have yellow leaves but the newest leaves are a healthy green and there is no wilt - they are recovering and growing. I need another deeper SWICK to keep the water higher. I'm going to have to switch them all into flower in a few weeks and decide which ones go outside. :allgood:

Thanks Whitty! All the ladies are drinking water like crazy. The transplants all have yellow leaves but the newest leaves are a healthy green and there is no wilt - they are recovering and growing. I need another deeper SWICK to keep the water higher. I'm going to have to switch them all into flower in a few weeks and decide which ones go outside. :allgood:

:thumb:

Good vibes came by my tent! The stressed transplants from the DWC to soil have now acknowledged that soil is best. Sometime this week I will take away some of those leaves at the bottom and maybe top a few. Gotta watch three of them because the seeds were not feminized. (Quintonic, Geisha CJ and Lemon Burst) I'm thinking another week and switch them to flower. Here are some pics, sorry about the green.

Pineapple Chunk #1
20022.jpg

Chocolate Kush
20193.jpg

Pineapple Chunk #2
20222.jpg

Sour Diesel is taking off.
20318.jpg

White Widow
20423.jpg

Geisha CJ
20522.jpg

Quintonic and Lemon Burst
20719.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of my tent...
20917.jpg

20817.jpg

They are taking from 2 gallons to 2 1/2 gallons per day in the swick.

So while I have been doing this in the tent I also dropped some seeds in water for a day and then planted them in cups today. I've been so intrigued by Autos that I decided to put all my autos in soil out in a bed outside. When they pop I will decide if they should stay out or come into the house. I am inclined to let them soak up the real sun while I let my others flower in peace. I have 1 Bubblegum, 1 Northern lights, 1 StarRyder and 2 Ak's.

Good Morning.
Have you thought about taking them off the Swick for a wet/dry cycle? You may have read the discussion on SS page and roots curling in the bottom of the pots. The reason I mention this is 2.5 gal of water a day seems like a lot. Those 2 Skunks that Im growing are in 7 gal and they are finally drinking 1.25gal every 4-5 days. The Ak which are much smaller but same size pot are at 7-8 days and were still moist. I feel antsy waiting to water like there being neglected but Ive been told more then once to wait and the plant will tell you when its ready. Just a thought, have a great day. :Rasta:

Thanks Whitty! :thanks:

Hi Snoop! Yes I have thought about removing the swick and I feel it is too late for these ladies but I have another grow planned using Docs Brix kit. The soil is mixed and I am waiting for the whole month before I start that grow. I mentally understand the need to let the soil dry so I will pursue it in the next grow to see it physically. Please follow that grow for me too, I can use all the help I can get.
:high-five:

TG, I am a believer in the SWICK, but I'm also a believer in the wet/dry cycle especially for veg. If you don't want to pull the plants off the SWICK system but still want a wet/dry cycle, then just let the SWICK dry up which shouldn't take long since it's using up 2.5 gal/day. If you already have a mass of roots below, let the water drop to almost nothing - the perlite will still be damp but this action will encrouage the roots to search deeper and wider for available water stores. If you think of nature, plants never really dry out they just have to search deeper in the ground for water (desert plants and succulents excluded).

Just my two cents. Glad to see the plants are liking the soil. A return to nature.

P.s. You may be adding 2.5 gallons per day to maintain the SWICK water level, but the plants are likely only drinking part of that and the rest is evaporating. I don't dare guess a percentage because this is still new to most of us. Might be fun to try a side-by-side comparison. Maybe I'll think about it for my next round.

I will be ready to move my plants into flower soon. I took all the undergrowth off and some of the yellowed leaves. Not quite a true lollipop but almost. I also rolled and bent the main stalk of my Sour Diesel to allow some of the undeveloped shoots to get some light.

So, let me go over some of the things I have learned...

Seed planting - do not overwater. Watch your pH. Mine was about 9.3 direct from the faucet/well.

Do more study on Deep Water Culture (DWC) and pH levels. Soil is much easier to adjust.

I transplanted all my DWC plants to soil and I am sticking to soil for now. It's easier. You can grow organic.

I tested the SWICK method of watering. I like it but next time I am using Docs kit to get the roots filling the pot.

I am trying very hard to fix the white balance in my camera to get rid of the red of the lights in my tent but keep the other colors true. Not having any luck so far, my white balance doesn't seem to be working as expected.

Here are some photos taken today.

0071642.JPG

0061762.JPG

0051990.JPG

0042113.JPG

0032247.JPG

0022351.JPG

To learn or not to learn?

So, let me go over some of the things I have learned...

Looks like this is quite the learning experience for you. Even with strange lighting, your plants look beautiful and ready to flower. Happy growing!

I love growing cannabis! Its just so much fun. Your going to love the kit. My first grow had issues all the way through it. Learned a lot. Now there healthy and looking great (just looked in on them) its going to blow you away! Its easier and ive heard it taste good. Time will tell. :Rasta:

Today is a great day! Not only did I switch my tent to flower, I started another grow journal for my high brix grow.

The ladies in the tent were ready to flower, even the ones who were short. This will be exciting now.

My four ladies rescued from the DWC are doing wonderful now. They need bigger swicks under them to really water them well. I will do that once I buy some plastic bins for them.

Temp in the tent goes from 72 to 90 which is when I turn my air conditioner on. Here is my DIY cooling system.

0012406.JPG

The RH is from 48 down to 34.
I hope that will work with these plants. I may have to put some open water in the tent to help raise the RH. Here are the ladies.

0042117.JPG

0061766.JPG

I have already taken just the soil and seen it work well on some transplants of flowers in the beds and they look great.
:peacetwo:

And to think all the soil is made of is Promix HP Myco, earthworm castings, and rock powders. The real beauty of the kit is in the drenches and the foliar sprays to keep the bacteria in that soil mix happy. Keep them happy and they'll give the plant what it needs when it needs it.

I just picked up a Western Gardening book from the 80's on the curb, and it's interesting to say the least. Most of what we find amazing about Doc's Kit and his methods has been basic horticulture knowledge for decades. The book strongly recommends soil testing, amendments, and appropriate fertilizers (both "chemical" and "organic").

If interested, Jon Frank from AgLabs is sending out free articles on foliar feeding. You can subscribe to his bi-weekly e-mail newsletter at: Sign up for foliar feed sequence - Powered by Infusionsoft

PM me if you would like the first two articles: "Laying the Right Foundation" and "Boron Makes a Difference"

IFLS (aka "I fucking love science") :love:

Today is a great day! Not only did I switch my tent to flower, I started another grow journal for my high brix grow.
Temp in the tent goes from 72 to 90 which is when I turn my air conditioner on. The RH is from 48 down to 34. I hope that will work with these plants. I may have to put some open water in the tent to help raise the RH.

Yay for flowering! I'll be sure to check out your high brix grow next.

RH of 34-48% is fine in flower, especially in late-flower to keep the buds from molding. If you're wanting to cool things off and bring up the RH, an evaporative cooler (aka "swamp cooler)" is the way to go. It uses drastically less electricity than a window AC unit, and creates a mini-greenhouse effect in the tent. Just my two cents. :)

Back
Top Bottom