Shrubhub's Bag Seed Grow - CFL DIY

ShrubHub

1388872312035.jpg
1388872333078.jpg

Shrubhub here, got moved into the new house and now that there are no cable guys or property appraisers dropping by its time to get some seeds in the dirt! So what we have here is a simple closet setup for now and once I get my Herbie's order in I'll just toss them in as well. Going to experiment with some LST maybe even some fluxing! But overall this will be a first time LST practice session hopefully with good results. So the specifics,

Soil: fox farms happy frog with some local bag soil mixed in. Boiled water and poured it on the soil first to see if this helps with soil gnats and white flies. I realize this most likely damaged the microbes but I'm really tired of fighting bugs.

Lights: I have 400+ watts of cfl lighting in various spectrum, starting with 2700k 125watt for seedling will switch to 6500k at true leaves.

Cooling: just a circular fan bounced off a wall for now.

Any questions or suggestion s let me know!

Re: Shrubhub's bagseed grow. CFL DIY.

subbed. I now microwave my soil before planting to kill any larva.

sub'd. did you just use the boiled water to kill whats in the soil or are you using boiled water to water plants with, i also came across the boiled water thread and its something ive not seen anyone else do,

as for the gnats i had lots of them and no matter what i did i couldnt get rid of them, then i won motm and sns sent me the prize package and i used their gnat treatment liquid and after 2 treatments it killed everything, they also have a natural systemic product that you water the plants with then when bugs try eating the plant or roots it puts them off and they move onto someone elses house.

so i do vouch for sns, i was so glad i won the prize package as they dont ship to where i am but i know i can buy it off line through other sellers, so for me the sns worked well and ive never needed to use it again,

Hey ShrubHub glad to see you're taking on another adventure I got my seat! :bong: :popcorn:

Hope you had a great holiday season my friend!

oh ok, its just i was reading a journal a few days back and the grower mentioned he waters his plants with boiled water so wasnt sure if that was the same method you was using, its something ive not come across before so wondered what the benefits where if any,

so your boiling the water to kill anything living in the soil that might harm the plants, hopefully its a good method to use but you need to remember as the water works its way through the soil its going to cool down very quick unles the soil was sitting in boiling water, i have considered baking the soil but its suppose to stink so not a good option due to where i live, so far the best method i have found of getting rid of fungus gnat larvae is to use the sns products, i used their products twice and never had any problems since, which i had been battling for nearly 2 years so was pretty chuffed when sns products worked after just 2 aplications

For soil insects I use diatomaceous earth on top of the soil as a barrier, it cuts them as they move through it. I bought my diatomaceous earth from an animal feed store, do not use the type meant for pool filters. Mosquito dunks can also be used as a soil drench for fungus gnats. Sierra Natural Sciences also makes a soil drench called SNS-203 for fungus gnats and other soil insects.

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-203

All three seeds broke ground and went looking for light accept one that had the seed shell stuck on it and was wedged in the soil , did a little micro surgery to loosen it so we will see how it goes.

1389142184950.jpg
1389142210676.jpg
1389142230591.jpg

They should rate this thread as R, there's some sweet baby making going on over here! I'm excited for ya do you have plans on whether you're going to flux these guys or let them grow naturally?

For sure won't be natural, it was cool to see how the plant grows in its normal state last time but as far as increasing yield some sort of stress training is needed.Not sure if it will be a flux yet as I have 0 experience here but I want these babies in some sort of bondage asap. Going to bury them deeper in the soil to give them a stronger base then we shall see!

Hanging your CFL light like is not the best idea, you need to get a reflector and have your light hanging horizontal and not straight up and down. Your plants will love you more for it.

coming along nicely,

i agree with the cfl comment, ive used all sorts of cfls and you get around 1/4 of the light from the ends of the bulbs, the sides give off much more due to the area of the bulb, if you make a reflector then you want it pretty close to the bulb so it reflects it back down to the plant but check the temps to make sure its not getting to hot, you can make a reflector out of old beer cans and tin foil trays that you use for cooking, anything is better than nothing,

or the other option would be to keep the bulb as it is and buy one of them parabolic hoods, or what ever their called, their them round hoods as these are made to hold the bulb how yours is held,

If its left like that I think they're will be alot of stretching and internode space is going to be crappy.

Check my last grow , all the lights were mounted vertically. I realize this is not efficient however even 1/4 efficiency its still 30watts of 6500k lightings for two seedlings plus one horizontally mounted 42 watt 2700k. Going to build a legitimate closet with hanging hood reflector etc but this does work for now.

Back
Top Bottom