Older - Wiser & Stoned Enough To Try Hydro - Look What Happened!

McCdive

Let me preface this Journal by setting up the scenario for you.
1. I took on a hydroponic grow with absolutely no idea what I was getting into aside from what I've read in 420MAG's forums.
2. I have limited computer skills which makes the simplest tasks a monumental chore!
3. I have no idea how to navigate this site and find posts and journals I'm interested in.

So with that in mind, let me lay out what I have so far and where I'm at ...... mentally. I set the room up not really knowing what temp or humidity ranges I was going to get into so some things may seem unnecessary and still others may be missing. I started the grow with 3 clones before I started this journal, so at this point I'm two and a half weeks into this stuff. Feel free to point out where I went wrong and should have stopped hitting the bong. Mistakes are gonna happen.:volcano-smiley:

The room: 30" X 60" X 78". Lined with a bubble wrap material with a reflective, shiny surface.
The floor: Is covered with a 1-1/2 Styrofoam board to dampen noise and insulate.
The Hydro setup I have is a plastic tray 3X2, holding about 15 gallons of water. On top of that sits a tray roughly 40"X6"X6" with a rockwool (log?) slab in it. A submersible pump with 3 feeder tubes.
Lighting: I started with 1 PlatinumLED P-300 for the first 2+ weeks and added a P-150 and a 6500k CFL Blue light for veg process.
Air circulation: one small-ass fan that doesn't move a hell of allot of air.
Ventilation: none. Until such a time where hi temps are going to be a problem, I'm not going to do anything. Smell is not an issue since it's just me and Ma here.
Heating: I have a small 1500 wt electric / digital heater with a differential preset to about +/- 4 degrees (f).
Humidity: A small humidifier that I will probably never have to use.... Lights and water in a small space!! Duuuuuhhhh!!
Plants: sorry if I get the names not quite right, but I'm new at this. One Pineapple ________, One Master Kush, And one L A Confidential. You may see in my pics that there is a plant in dirt in a corner. That is, what I believe to be, A Blueberry Strain of some kind. It was thrown in the ground last summer and had absolutely no care at all. I chopped it down to nothing after it flowered and now I want to see if I can get a veg cycle to start so I can clone it and give it a real try. (another thing I have never done before)
Water: Well water from Hell!! I have a water treatment system for removing iron and to bring the Ph down to neutral. NO water softener. (no salt)
Feeding: I'll take a couple pics of the different things I have and the schedule for feeding. I bet there is huge amount of room for improvement there!
Okay, Just a couple pics to start with.

20141205_205447.jpg
20141206_132759.jpg
20141206_133725.jpg
20141206_133004.jpg
20141205_205030.jpg
20141205_205331.jpg
20141206_132822.jpg
20141206_140945.jpg

This all started a few months ago. I quit drinking about 10 months ago after drinking a liter or more a day of vodka or rum. I was very good at it! Well it damn neer killed me. As it is I will be on meds of some kind the rest of my life as a result. So here I am, 50 and sober for the first time in decades and I'm just not fond of the world sometimes. I like a little escape, Ya know? Sooo... here we are. I can honestly say I will never drink again. The pain it put me through is all it takes. Maybe champagne at new-years, but that's it. So lets grow POT. I was a heavy smoker from my very early teens to my mid 20s where all the grownup things started happening and I just drifted away from it. I've always smoked a little at parties (when I didn't have to drive) or when we go camping, but that's was the extent of it. Now I smoke about every day, back to working hard again and done with having to rely on others for some bud.

Please bear with me as I hope to get better at both navigating this wonderful web site and posting pictures and information. If there is anything I need to share with you all about my setup to get some advice, please let me know!

I don't mind being talked to in a childish manner if that's what it takes! Just leave out any condescending remarks. lol

May all your grows be healthy and happy!!:Namaste: :thanks: :high-five:

P.S. It took me a month to figure out how to post this!! lol

Re: Older, Wiser, And STONED Enough to Try Hydro. Look What Happened!!

Looking good man
I didn't see any exhaust fan ,it may be there
But you are going to need to get fresh cool air in and hot stale air out I think rule of thumb is exchange the air in the room every 3-5 mins
Also you want you thermometer at canopy level
Congrats on finding your way off the alcohol
Keep posting and you will be able to nav the forum with ease in no time
Plenty of people here to offer help
Good luck
:volcano-smiley:

Thankyou , Highpotanoose! By now most of you that read these 'first time' posts have all but forgotten the thrill of your first time you set up and grew your own weed. I'm there now ;-) .
You mentioned replacing / exhausting the air in the grow room every 3-5 minutes? Hum. That will take some doing. I have NO problem with venting to outside (vent right out the side of the house) but that WILL be a bear keeping the room warm. With winters here, I don't see how I could possibly heat that amount of air in such a short time. That is a lot of CFM to heat! I was under the mistaken impression that the venting was for odor control more than anything. Not so? How critical is this?
Thanks for your input and I'll check back in in a couple hours to post a few more pics.
Thanks, Andy. :peace:

Welcome to :420:McCdive! Don't know what if any help I can offer, but either way I'm along for the ride.

Thankyou , Highpotanoose! By now most of you that read these 'first time' posts have all but forgotten the thrill of your first time you set up and grew your own weed. I'm there now ;-) .
You mentioned replacing / exhausting the air in the grow room every 3-5 minutes? Hum. That will take some doing. I have NO problem with venting to outside (vent right out the side of the house) but that WILL be a bear keeping the room warm. With winters here, I don't see how I could possibly heat that amount of air in such a short time. That is a lot of CFM to heat! I was under the mistaken impression that the venting was for odor control more than anything. Not so? How critical is this?
Thanks for your input and I'll check back in in a couple hours to post a few more pics.
Thanks, Andy. :peace:

It is not as hard as you may think
Exhaust to outside for sure
Most people run a carbon filter inline exhaust fan to outside mounted close to top of room
Pull air from opposite end bottom of the room
There are fan controllers that control fan speed at day/night with full speed high set points and off low set points
Need to control room that your intake air comes from
Only need to heat during lights off want to aim for 70/75*F all the time

My heater and dehumidifier sit outside my flower room I have my heater come on at lights off and turn off at lights on
6" 400 CFM fan runs at about 60% during lights on 25% lights off
Dehumidifier keeps intake air at about 35%-40% humidity

You will get away with not much fresh air in veg but when you go to flower you plants won't grow as well along with other problems

Some do a sealed room and run C02 but I think they still time out the C02 to run when the fan is not

This will get you started
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know
Good luck
:cool:

Sounds like a reasonable Highpotanoose to me. ( like you've never herd that said to you...lol )
With a little creativity, I can get that done. I have a fan and duct work to plumb all that in, but what is the carbon filter for? Just odor?

Yes carbon filter is for odor
When you start to flower even some strains in veg, if you exhaust that air outside it will smell like you are growing weed,lol
And in ohio that isn't a good thing even if you don't have neighbors have to consider meter readers, garbage men etc.

I do have a bag of Exhale Homegrown C02 in the room.

20141206_203442_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
20141206_203219.jpg
20141206_203813.jpg
20141206_205437.jpg
20141206_191022.jpg
20141206_203511_Richtone_HDR_.jpg
Randy_Sanchez_weed-wisperer_.jpg

I also added an aquarium air pump and two bubblers to the sump. Good? Bad? Indifferent?
Feeding pics in a little while. Lots going on today. :thanks:

Good on the air
Can never have enough 02

Okay. No carbon filter then. No neighbors or utility people to worry about. Sitting in 100+ acres here that I own and surrounded by hundreds more of farm land. Low low risk factor. But I will definitely work on venting. Works out well since I wanted to reside the house in the spring. Cutting vents in will be no problem. Just takes a little money. This shit is adding up quick!!! I have an old draft inducing fan for a boiler I can use. I'll have to see how it likes a reostat. Thanks. Food for thought. :)

Another quick question, lady bugs. Should I worry about them? I have found 2 in the last 2 weeks in the room on the girls.

Lady bugs are good bugs they won't hurt your plants they will eat spider mites
But I would be concerned with bugs getting in like mites etc.

Also if lady bugs are on your plant I would check for mites you prob have them
That is why you see the lady bugs they are prob feeding on them
Look under your leaves with a 30x jewlers loop
Top of your leaves will get speckled where the mites are feeding

Hey buddy!

Nice tidy set up you have there! Sounds like you live in a great spot!

If cutting holes in your walls seems like hard work, opening a window close to the grow room will allow fresh air in, your fan will move it well enough. We get bad winters here in Scotland too, it takes a lot to heat all that cold air.

Well the Lady bugs are a seasonal nuisance around here, so I'm not too worried. I'll have to get a glass to see that up close.
My more immediate worries are the leaves are limp and listless on one and curling on another. It's been 7 days since I last changed the solution. I'm due to do it again tonight. I've followed the feeding chart very carefully so I can't see how it could out of nutrients!?
Pictured are the feeding schedule and the chemicals I was supplied with when I bought the hydro system. If there are noticeably better ones on the market, please advise.
20141207_134304.jpg
20141207_134553.jpg
20141207_134649.jpg
20141207_134705.jpg
20141207_134722.jpg
20141207_134752.jpg
20141207_134815.jpg
20141207_135039.jpg

dammit. 2 are sideways. sorry.

re: Older - Wiser & Stoned Enough To Try Hydro - Look What Happened!

Thanks Mono. The humidity has been bouncing between 25 and 65%. I just added 300w of light to plants used to just 300w. Plus my room Temps are way off. We haven't all 'jelled' yet. I changed water and nutrients last night also, so all that change may be making the girls unhappy. I did a TDS test and and it reads 1,150. Seems high to me? Anyone? TDS is that okay? According to my feeding chart, it should be around 990.
Anywho, thanks for the input, Mono. :)

i would try to keep the light out of the water. Could start growth in the res. ya know? Awesome dude!!! Let's Grow!!!

There IS long, stringy algae growing in the res. Is that something I should be concerned with?
Also, I didn't mention before, but the feed pump is set to feed 5 times a day for 15 mins at a a time. Anybody with opinions on that? I was wondering if that had caused any distress to the Girls.??

Back
Top Bottom