Munki's Ebb n Flow 3 x 3 SCROG 400W HPS Grow

Thanks for stopping by my grow journal. This is actually the completion of a grow started in a Phototron. That is why the "flood tray" bucket is small; to fit into the tron. Anyways, let's get on with it.

I built out a SCROG screen at about 3 x 3 feet and stands 9 inches over the Hydroton surface. That should allow enough room to train. Got a long, squirrel cage like fan held horizontally and blowing across the surface of the screen. 400 Watt HPS suspended at 18 inches above the canopy to start. I will lower it over the next few days as the plants acclimate to the intense light. They only knew the softer white glow of florescent bulbs in their past.

Here is how the tent is presently configured.

rsz_top.jpg

rsz_bottom.jpg

rsz_big_screen.jpg

rsz_day_35_canopy.jpg

rsz_nine_inches_high.jpg

Dude love the scrog, market that thing! looks very professional. +rep for great set-up.

Thanks man. Just kind of threw it together actually. I may glue some of the base parts together as I can shift it if I put some pressure on it. I don't think that there will be enough weed to move the screen in the end, so I'll probably leave it alone.

Hey, welcome to my thread 420fied and berrydizzle. +reps for your participation, questions, and advice.

That screen sure looks familiar. I'd better go check my growroom! I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Subscribed and a + rep.

Ya know, I re-read the beginning of your SCROG journal and that must be where I got the idea for building it. I read many things but I love your journal and your techniques. For thouse of you who haven't seen 420fied's version of this screen, it is HERE.

Everyone, please read what 420fied did if you haven't already. Truly awesome stuff and I plan to steal more ideas from you 420fied! :smokin: I'll try to be better at remembering where I got my idea from and giving proper credit.

Great start, how much longer u plan on vegging. +reps

I will veg this out until I can get the screen to around 2 to 2 1/2 feet square. I'm hoping I can get that done within 3 weeks. We shall see.

The HPS lamp has run for over 12 hours now. Heat was well controlled for my present environment (low 80s). I pull in some fresh air from the outside that that can come in pretty cool (70s) as I am kind of near the coast. I will be lowering the lights today. I really think I'll be able to get that lamp down low. I've been impressed how that long fan cools the canopy top.

I'm in, i wanna see how this ends. I wouldn't put the hps closer than 12 inches from the screen. Looks like you've got a big enough exhaust fan attatched to that scrubber.

I'm in, i wanna see how this ends. I wouldn't put the hps closer than 12 inches from the screen. Looks like you've got a big enough exhaust fan attatched to that scrubber.

Thanks for subscribing to my journal Charlie. :ciao:

I dropped the lamp from 18 inches to 13 inches. I will then look to see if I can approach the sweet spot height of only 9 inches. That will be better than I thought I could do without an air cooled hood. The magic will come from that fan in the back. Cause really, I do not care if the lamp itself is hot. I just want the plant tops to not overheat.

The inline fan is the Hydrofarm Active Air 6 inch In-Line Fan rated at 400 CFM. The duct looks bigger than it is because the ducting is insulated. The carbon scrubber at the bottom is 8 inches in diameter not including the prefilter. Nice, negative pressure in the room and can't smell a thing! :;):

I think my screen's mesh is only 1 inch where I've seen many others use 2 inch meshes. Will this screen still work out? What will be my major issues using the tighter meshed screen? I figure I can snip open bigger holes if I need to during the grow.

The hole size doesn't really matter, i guess it gives you a finer adjustment of where you want to put your shoots. What hydro nutes are you using here munki, i don't think you mentioned it.

What hydro nutes are you using here munki, i don't think you mentioned it.

Flora Series "Keep it Simple" Recirculation schedule from General Hydroponics. Using all requested ingredients this time. You can find their nutrient schedule at GH's website.

I will probably switch to the Lucas Formula using the Flora Series. It only requires Micro and Bloom ingredients. I happened to get a great deal on 1 gallon jugs of both of them at only $20 each. I'm pretty much set for nutes though I will probably experiment and throw something else into the mix on future grows.

My current res is filled with the growth level of nutrients. BTW, that floralicious stuff is strong! Dark as pitch too and practically stains glass! Potent organics for sure.

I think my screen's mesh is only 1 inch where I've seen many others use 2 inch meshes. Will this screen still work out? What will be my major issues using the tighter meshed screen? I figure I can snip open bigger holes if I need to during the grow.

On harvest day, you can cut them off at the base of the trunks (lol) and pick the screen up and carry it in to the trimming room - the plants will still be securely attached to the screen, hanging by their buds.:grinjoint:

I don't know that that's a bad thing, mind you.

I guess you could run into a situation where the bud mass extends a little bit below the screen and it could be a pain to remove (in one piece). But then again, if you manage the goal of one bud site for each hole, that's not going to happen.

On harvest day, you can cut them off at the base of the trunks (lol) and pick the screen up and carry it in to the trimming room - the plants will still be securely attached to the screen, hanging by their buds.:439

Yeah, that is what I was thinking harvest day would look. Maybe set the screen on its side and harvest it like that. That day is many weeks away. If I see it in 11 weeks from now, I'd be surprised. This is going to take a while unless the HPS really speeds up the growth. My guess was I would still be in for at least 2 - 3 weeks of vegging while I fill the screen then 8 - 12 weeks to flower out. Not knowing the strains really sucks but that's the way it goes for this grow.

Here is a pic from this morning (Day 37). A one foot ruler is in the lower left on the screen for size comparison.

Day371.JPG

lovely great plant

Actually, there are two in the bucket. You can see how they started out in pics on page 1 of my phototron grow. Click the link in my sig. I'm taking the healthy plants from that phototron grow to a larger space. For future grows, I will have a different nutrient delivery method though I will still stick to Ebb n Flow. I like the results and it doesn't require that I keep my nutrient fluid temp cool like DWC and NFT. Yeah, it would help but isn't necessary since the roots get a fair amount of time exposed to air. I still bubble air into my rez since an air pump and stone only cost me $12 total.

Back
Top Bottom