1st Grow - Auto Blue & Auto AK with CFLs

Chile 420

So this is definitely my first grow, and have been learning a bit by trial and error as well as reading. After a couple crises with my first two seedlings (who will also be seen in some pictures but not focussed on), my 3rd and 4th plant seem to be moving along nicely. I basically just converted some space in a weird nook of my closet to house the girls. I covered most of the space involved in aluminium and have my CFL bulbs fixed in a sort of an aluminum turkey pan made into a reflector. You'll see...

Lights: (4) 24 watt cool white CFLs (each one supposedly gives off 130 watts. I don't really understand this but thats what the GE bulbs said on the package.)

Light schedule: 20/4

Seeds: 1 Auto Blue (7 liter green pot) and 1 Auto AK (7 liter red pot) from "Seedmakers"

Growing medium: Bio Bizz Organic

So here is the progression of the Auto AK which is currently on Day 13, born on October 7th:

Day 2:
AK_Day_2_close.JPG

Day 5:
AK_Day_5_1_.JPG

Ak_Day_5_2_.JPG

Day 8:
Day_8_3_2.JPG
Day_8_1_3.JPG
Day_8_2_2.JPG

Day 12:
Day_12_1_.JPG
Day_12_2_3.JPG
Day_12_3_2.JPG

So I definitely have not given her nutrients yet, she's only been watered twice so far, about 2/3 of liter each time. This one seems to be going faily well, however nowhere near as well as her big sister who is currently on Day 17. Check out my Auto Blue plant that was born on October 3rd.

Day 3:
Blue_Day_3.jpg

Day 6:
Blue_Day_6.jpg

Day 9:
Blue_Day_9_1_.JPG
Blue_Day_9_2_.JPG

Day 12:
Day_12_3_3.JPG
Day_12_4_2.JPG
Day_12_2_4.JPG

Day 16:
Day_16_4_1.JPG
Day_16_2_4.JPG
Day_16_3_3.JPG
Day_16_1_2.JPG

So yeah shes been watered exactly 3 times, about 2/3 liters of water each time. No nutrients yet, but I am planning on giving her about 1ml of Bio Grow (by Bio BIzz) at her next watering (4 or 5 days from now; Day 21 for the plant.) I plan on doing the same with the Auto Ak when it looks about the same size or is on the same day 21.

Like I said the plants are in a kind of weird nook in my closet that seemed perfect for this. I covered the majority of the space in aluminium foil. The normal temp seems to be about 29 C, 85 F, and I have a small fan blowing on them. Check out the growing space:

Growroom_12.JPG

Growroom_21.JPG

Far_back.JPG

Close_up37.JPG

As you can see, there are two other sick children sharing the space. They are also an auto Ak and blue, but they have not had the best life. They both started off in crappy soil, and were very stressed because I was moving them back and forth everday from the window to the closet. To make matters worse, the AK had about a foot of roots cut off in a transplant to better soil, and the blue had a light fall on top of it. Rather than letting them just go, I have held on to them anyway.

The sick blue is actually flowering at this point. I am feeding it a small amount of Bio Grow and Bio bloom in its water. As you can see, I have switched the closest bulb to this plant to warm light (2700 K). Its on Day 40 or something like that. Ha.ha.

Very sad looking blue that is actually smelling up my bedroom...
Flowering_seedling1.JPG

The sick Ak is doing slightly better and has not started flowering yet. It is receving Bio Grow 2 mls per liter. You can see it on the right in this picture.

Here is the sick Auto ak that is on like Day 33 or something like that.
Problem_AK.JPG

So anyway, that's where I'm at right now. All comments and advice al welcome, like I said I'm a first timer. Thanks for viewing and I'll keep you posted on how things go!

Saludos desde Chile!
-Chile 420

Re: 1st Grow: Auto Blue and Auto AK w/ CFLs`

Looking good! I'm gonna sub! Check out my first grow too please, I'm posting picks in the morning

So here are some picture updates:

Auto AK Day 15:
Day_15_1_1.JPG

Day_15_2_3.JPG
Day_15_3_1.JPG

Auto Blue Day 19:
Day_19_1_.JPG
Day_19_2_1.JPG
Day_19_3_.JPG

I have also moved my two sick plants outside yesterday (to stay) to allow these two girls to be under more direct light (2 24 watt CFLS each). I thought that the two girls outside were going to be shocked, but they seem well. I'll postsome pics when they show some progress.

Being that I am new to this, I am wondering if anybody could give me any advice - are my plants looking about right for their ages: 15 and 19 days? I am thinking about feeding my Blue some BIO Grow in two days - about 1 ml in 2 thirds of a liter. Does this sound about right?? Is it too early? I feel like it might even be a bit late considering that this plant will probably only live for 70 days.

Like I said, thoughts, advice and feedback are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi there Chile!

3 & 4 look healthy and seem to be going good. I know some will say otherwise, but Id start feeding. Try first only 1/4-1/3 of the recommended dose, to avoid nute burn. If it goes well, you can up it for the next feeding.

You might wanna get rid of the tin foil as it isn't a good reflector for growing plants: it can burn them because it doesn't reflect the light evenly.

You mentioned that 1 & 2 were shocked from being moved in & out, but that usually shouldn't shock them. Later during flowering, they need their uninterrupted darkness, otherwise they could be shocked...

Hi Chile420.

Subbed and glad to see you started a journal. Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I was out of the country on vacation, and a friend was watching the girls for me. In one sense, things seem to be going very well, but I also have a problem coming on, and I would love any and all advice!

So, before I went on vacation, I hit my Auto Blue with 1 ml of Bio Grow diluted in about .5 liter of water (day 21), and it seemed to take it really well, and I noticed that it started growing more quickly. On day 26 it received the same (.5 liters water + 1 ml of Bio Grow) and then on Day 31 again (.5 liters of water + 1.5 mls BG).

I got back on Day 33, and the lower leaves are changing colors and wilting, although the buds are looking good. I am assuming that my problem was over fertilizing, but I am no expert. Is this potassium deficiency? Should I switch over to Bio Bloom now, or mix feed with both Bio Bloom and Bio Grow? Should the next feed just be straight water? Am I over watering? Is this even a problem? Somebody help!!!

Day 34:
Day_34_1_.JPG
Day_34_4_.JPG
Day_34_3_1.JPG
Day_34_4_.JPG

Like I said, the bud formation seems to be moving along nicely, but the lower leaves are looking atrocious!
Day_34_Problems_.JPG
Day_34_Problems2_.JPG

Here it is today, day 35, looking even worse:
Day_35_problems_.JPG

Also, on day 33, I switched 1 of the (2) 24watt CFLs from cool light (6500K) to warm light (2700K) so that it has both spectrums - I've read that a mix of both spectrums is ideal for flowering.
IMG_54613.JPG

I plan on switching 1 of the Auto AK's 2 6500K CFLs over to warm light this weekend:
IMG_54645.JPG

My Auto AK seems to be coming along well, it's now on Day 31, and has also received 3 consecutive feedings with Bio Grow:
Day 19 (.5 liter water + 1 ml Bio GRow)
Day 24 (.5 liter water + 1 ml Bio Grow)
Day 29 (.5 liter water + 1.5 ml Bio Grow)

Like the Auto Blue, its bud formation is going well, but the lower leaves are starting the starting the same trend of the lower leaves changing color and wilting. Again, all of my same questions that I asked about the Auto Blue, I would now ask you about this lady.

Day 30:

Day_30_1_1.JPG
Day_30_2_1.JPG
DAy_30_3_1.JPG
Day_30_4_.JPG

Why are my lower leaves on both plants starting to change colors and wilt? Thing seemed to be going so well for a second. Have I given them too much Bio Grow?? too much watering? Do they need Bio Bloom now for potassium?? What should I do?? Like I said, all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Also, while I have your attention, I also have some questions about my two sicklings:

As you remember from a previous post, I made mention of my first two plants which did not go so well. I moved them outside on a few weeks ago so that I could give the two new girls (the two above) a better life. I almost sacrificied both of these girls at their lowest points because I thought they weren't worth it, but they have hung in there despite being tiny, sick, and grief-ridden:

Auto Blue Day 65:
Day_65_1_1.JPG
Day_65_2_.JPG

Day_65_3_1.JPG
Day_65_4_.JPG

Does this guy look ready to go? She's received:
1 dosage of BG
1 dosage of BG + BB
1 dosage of BB (1.5 mls in .5 liters of water) - this was about 9 days ago.

I imagine that at this point I would water her one more time (soon) to flush her, and then maybe cut her in like 10 days? I know its kinda silly to even ask about this plant, but it will be good practice for the other 2 girls when their time comes. Thanks!

Heres the Auto AK Sickling which seems to have a bit of Nitrogen deficiency?? Its the only plant that is entirely yellow. On day 54, it had it first mix dosage of Bio Bloom and Bio Grow. Here it is on Day 55 (yesterday):

Day_55_1_.JPG
Day_55_2_.JPG
Day_55_3_.JPG

Any advice for me on these sick little ladies?? Thanks!!!

you live and learn. I'm sorry to tell but you might know this already but you have too little light and too small of pots. plants that small dont need to eat. I grew an auto hidden outdoor in shade and it got tall about 20" but had no yield jackauto freedom of seeds I do not recommend these seeds.
How long do you run your lights each day?

Thanks for your reply 303. I have my lights on for 20 hours a day, 4 hours of darkness. Do you have any constructive advice?

Yep my friend the problems your having are most likely a couple of factors together. You do seem to have some nute burn going on with the tips of leaves going burnt. The other is your light penetration combined with the level you potted down in the pots themselves. The level in pots just means your lacking light low down as its all collard off. Maybe some over watering as well. Your buds look fine though. I'd let them dry out with no feed for a while then give them a flush and then start back with small watering's and feed once completely dried out after flush. Just my 2 cents chap.

Hi light addict,

Thanks for the post. When I originally arranged these pots, there was soil almost all the way to the brim, but everytime i water the soil moves down just a bit. I have decided to put some books under my pot so that the auto blue is higher up, more in between the lights, which in turn places the lower leaves closer to the light as well. I guess from here I'll wait untill the girls are completely dry before flushing, and then from there I'll probably only feed them Bio Bloom.

I understand that the leaves produce the food for the plant, and leave's health are obviously an indicator of the plant's general health, but will these dying lower leaves necessarily impact my bud production? Also, I have (4) 23 watt CFLs in the space - 3 6500K and 1 2700K. would you recommend that it be 2:2?

Do you have any opinions on the outdoor plants? Specifically the auto blue? Do you think shes ready for a final flush and then harvest once she dries out? She smells absolutely incredible.

Thanks again for all of your advice!

re: 1st Grow - Auto Blue & Auto AK with CFLs

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom