1st Grow With DWC

im not sure what they are some cheese of some kind i think i made a very big mistake when i had the cuttings they weren't rooted i know for next time if there is a next time i was thinking of taking a cutting eventually and starting a mothe rplant so i dont have to search around again for clones thanks for the advice on the ph

lol i got my clones and they wernt rooted yet. its fine if they arent. its more stressful for us to get them to take off but its fun when you can start so young..my last grow i started with 14" clones and ill never do that again!!!

how do you plan on growing your ladies...are you going to LST, top, or FIMM them?

IMAG025011.jpg
IMAG025011.jpg
IMAG024913.jpg
IMAG024913.jpg
IMAG024811.jpg
IMAG024811.jpg
IMAG024710.jpg
IMAG024710.jpg
IMAG024515.jpg
IMAG02449.jpg
IMAG024311.jpg
IMAG024212.jpg

Best wishes to you on this grow Andyh22 and welcome to 420mag.

I think it would be very cool if you took some pics that better show how your grow is set up. Something that shows the tub and the plant layout in your grow area. This helps some of us that have been there share our experiences and possibly help you avoid problems.

Nobody can tell the exact strain from a picture. Hopefully when you acquired the clones they would have told you.

1. In my experience I wouldn't worry about 24/7 veg one bit. I do it. In fact I have 2 plants on 24/7 at 3.5 months now and they are fine. They will not hermie from 24/7. That's for sure. It's all a personal preference.

2. LST = Low Stress Training. Lots of bending and tying down to make a plant grow in a certain direction/way. Low Stress Training Using this technique, imo depends on the style of grow you wish to do.

3. FIM = Fuck I Missed. found here: How to FIM I personally use this technique and regular topping as well. Basically what topping and fimming does is gives you more top colas.

For a 1st time grow, I would suggest keeping it simple. Go for a topping or fimming, but not much else. Learn how to grow. How things change with the plant. Spend lots of time reading and learning.

I highly suggest getting those pics of the area. Include what nutrients you are using. What type of water? RO or tap? Whats the ppm of the water before you add nutes? What conversion factor is your PPM meter using? When you post 1200ppm later on in your grow when there is some issue, we need to know if it's .5 conversion meter that's a big over nute. If it's a .7 conversion, it's probably a nice mix.

I love DWC. I have 6 girls in RDWC now (Recirculating Deep Water Culture) at 55 days of 12/12, and 2 girls in DWC @ 120 days of veg from clone. As well I'm about to drop 5 seeds I just germinated into DWC for 2 months veg then flower in RDWC. I'm no expert, but I've studied my ass off to learn.

ill get some more pics up tomorrow ive just added black bags to buckets as there white to stop algae hopefully i caught in time:)

So your tap has a reverse osmosis system?

980 is way hot for such young plants. Might want to dial it down to 450 or even 350.

What is exc700? is that your tds meter brand?

ahh ok, it's a conversion factor of .7

I'd need to find the right chart to know what that is on a .5 conversion.

Probably still pretty hot with nutes.

i started off with cf of 10 which was probably little high but all seems ok had a little nut burn 14 should be ok in nearly 2 week stage?

Not sure what you mean by "cf of 10" above.

But to illustrate ppm's used by an excellent grower here on 420 mag, using a conversion factor .7 meter, look at post 1497 of this thread: Xlr8's "Flo N Gro" Hydro Multiple Strains 2011

Notice in the green section, under actual, week 1 Jan 26 he fed at 490 ppm. And at no point did he ever feed above 1300 (again, using a .7 meter).

His peak ppm of 1300 on my .5 conversion tds meter would probably be along the lines of 750-800ppm. I'm looking for a specific chart for you which I'll post or link when I find it. So that's just my best guess on what his 1300ppm reading would look like on my meter.

ahah! I found some more defining info. I knew I was forgetting.

"The Blue Lab Truncheon TDS/EC meter will display in PPM using both 0.5 and 0.7 factors and also display the EC."

The way you convert to/from a 500 to 700 meter is to first convert to EC, since all TDS meters measure the EC, then multiply by the conversion factor of the unit to display the TDS in PPM.

I'm going to re-state that, because it's so important:

TDS meters are INCAPABLE of an actual PPM reading, so they measure the EC and then multiply by SOME conversion factor to display "approximate" PPM's (which can vary greatly, depending on the conversion factor!).

So, for example, 1400 PPM on a 700 conversion meter is 2 EC (1400/700). 2 EC on a 500 conversion meter is 1000 PPM (2*500). So, what displays as 1400 PPM on a 700conversion meter, will read 1000 PPM on a 500 conversion meter. Get it???

EDIT: Just to take it one step further, a 500 conversion meter means it displays 1 EC as 500 PPM while a 700 meter will display 1 EC as 700 PPM.

i started off with cf of 10 which was probably little high but all seems ok had a little nut burn 14 should be ok in nearly 2 week stage?

Ok, now I understand. Using your Truncheon meter, you have CF and ec etc to read by.

Yes cf of 10 (most folks will prefer using "ec 1.0" for lingo) was already way hot for these girls. Upping to 1.4 (980 ppm) is just asking for them to melt.

I send you to another great chart in the same thread I mentioned above. Go to post #1422

I personally, probably wouldn't go to about 1.0 ec (700ppm at .7 conv or 500ppm on .5 conv until the 4th set or so of good new leaves appear. When I move clones into dwc from the cloning tray I try to shoot for about 300-350ppm (.5 meter) which on yours would be about 420-490ppm. And notice in XLR8's thread I linked that his early veg was 460ppm, then 690ppm.

Hope this helps.

Well Andyh you asked me to stop by and look at your grow. Looks good for 10days. The yellowing that starts on the tips is nute burn, just try lowering the dose till they get back to full strength. All the other advice given has pretty much covered watch your temps under the light as well as in the res. You want to keep your water pretty cool below 68 degrees. and pH is most important, I keep my res at 5.5, but I do DWC and thats all I have ever done other than soil. Don't sweat it! they are called weed for a reason weeds want to live. What I have found as one advantage to Hydroponics is how rapidly you can see changes in your plant and the plants react to stimuli very fast, which means you have to stay on top of the small problems before they get out of hand. Roots look great though and that is what the plant is waiting on to get established then they should take off. Happy growing I will stay tuned in to see how they come out!

Back
Top Bottom