2 x 600 Watt Tent Set Up - 12 x Cali Connection Plants/Strains - 1st Indoor Grow

Almost forgot, I wanted to ask you guys on what the best methods for drying and curing were? Or how do you guys do it? I feel like some of my buds are losing their strong dank smell after they've been curing for a few days and you only get the strong stench when you break open or grind up the buds. So far I've been cutting, trimming, then drying the buds in the closet pictured above with and oscillating fan sitting on the ground pointed straight ahead just to move the air around in the closet until the outside starts to feel crispy, but the stem doesn't necessarily snap. After that I put them in jars and have been burping them throughout the day until the buds feel a little drier than they did when I opened the jar. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just have to keep at and cure longer? Will the strong smell eventually come back? Like I said the buds still smell good on the inside and give a great high, but it's just not stinking up the room like it did when I was I was cutting it up. Any and all comments, suggestions, and help is much appreciated!

Im a new member but been growing for a few years and I found the best way to dry was in a cool dark room around 65f to 70f and 40 to 50 percent humidity and let dry until buds feel crispy on the outside but yet somewhat soft on the inside most peolpe usually try to snap smaller stems close to the bud if it snaps their ready to go in the jars just remember to check them a few times a day for the first week to make sure there isnt too much moisture build up and to burp the jars to exchange stale air out and fresh air in just pour each jar out and put them back in close lid and repeat if it feels too moist you can put moist buds in a paper bag and let dry for a few hours and check if ok put back in jars and thats about it once there dry evenly and been curing in jars for at least two weeks they should be good to go but the longer you cure them in jars the better they will taste burn etc. Hope this has been helpful to you and btw for a first time grow you did an outstanding job. Keep up the good work and cant wait to see your next grow!!

Im a new member but been growing for a few years and I found the best way to dry was in a cool dark room around 65f to 70f and 40 to 50 percent humidity and let dry until buds feel crispy on the outside but yet somewhat soft on the inside most peolpe usually try to snap smaller stems close to the bud if it snaps their ready to go in the jars just remember to check them a few times a day for the first week to make sure there isnt too much moisture build up and to burp the jars to exchange stale air out and fresh air in just pour each jar out and put them back in close lid and repeat if it feels too moist you can put moist buds in a paper bag and let dry for a few hours and check if ok put back in jars and thats about it once there dry evenly and been curing in jars for at least two weeks they should be good to go but the longer you cure them in jars the better they will taste burn etc. Hope this has been helpful to you and btw for a first time grow you did an outstanding job. Keep up the good work and cant wait to see your next grow!!

Thanks moedog420, that does help and I appreciate the response! And thanks for the kind words on the grow, I'm pretty proud of myself on it :). I feel like I'm doing pretty much everything pretty closely to how you described above. The only difference I can think of would be the humidity. I live in what they call a high desert in Colorado, not exactly the most humid place. I'd say that the humidity probably hovers between 20-30% here. Maybe this is causing the decrease in the radiating smell of the buds? Also the temps probably drop lower at night too. Either way, you pretty much reassured me that I'm on the right track for the most part with what I'm doing as far as the drying and curing goes. I'll just have to keep working at it to perfect it. For future grows, I think I'm going to use my smallest tent as a drying room because I'll be able to control the temps and humidity more easily.

Thanks again for the info! :peace:

Hey planetary. You should hit up a tobacco shop, they sell mini humidity gauges and humidity pucks. Makes it super easy to keep that bud at 70% humidity, perfect for smoking.

@northener: Thanks for the tip! I've seen those before and know what your talking about. I just may have to invest. Any idea on how much those cost? I wouldn't think it would be too much, just curious.

So yesterday was the last day of the grow :). I harvest the last two plants, Critical Jack Herer and Tahoe OG, and disassembled the tent. I'll get the pics up soon. I also figured out who was the culprit behind the seeds and it was definitely the Chem Valley Kush. Upon closer inspection of some of the buds there were several nanners. It being a hermie was probably also the cause of the more airy bud structure compared to the rest which I described in earlier posts. Oh well, like I said it really didn't damage the grow at all as far as pollinating goes. Just a few seeds here and there. I pulled the 818 Headband out of the closet and put it in jars as well. And not to toot my own horn or anything, but it is definitely top shelf bud in my book. And it hasn't even been cured yet. That's it for now, pics for the plants just harvested should be up later tonight or tomorrow.

Peace:peace:

Here are the final harvest pics of the Critical Jack Herer and Tahoe OG. I will conclude this journal in 1-2 weeks with a final post that will include pictures of all the dried/cured buds and final dry weights.

Critical Jack Herer

IMG_120012.JPG
IMG_120110.JPG
IMG_120213.JPG
IMG_120316.JPG
IMG_120414.JPG
IMG_120516.JPG
IMG_120617.JPG
IMG_121713.JPG
IMG_122020.JPG
IMG_121413.JPG

Tahoe OG

IMG_120719.JPG
IMG_120817.JPG
IMG_12099.JPG
IMG_121012.JPG
IMG_121113.JPG
IMG_121210.JPG
IMG_121313.JPG
IMG_121513.JPG
IMG_121619.JPG
IMG_121915.JPG

Alright folks this is it, the final results are in! It's been a long, frustrating at times, but mostly exciting journey and I made it to the end with some relatively nice dried and cured buds. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped me along the way, whether it was with helpful tips, a positive comment, or just a like on my pictures and progress it was all encouraging. There is a great little community here on 420 and I don't think I will be going a single grow in the future without subjecting it to the helpful and knowledgeable minds on this site. I had a lot of fun growing and can't wait to start again, but I'll stop blabbering and get to the good stuff :)...

Here are the official weights. (Rounded to the nearest gram)

Tahoe OG - 46 grams
Black Russian - 60 grams
Chem Valley Kush - 82 grams
Chem4 OG - 68 grams
Critical Jack Herer - 50 grams
Larry OG - 50 grams
818 Headband - 46 grams +
-----------------------------------------
= 402 grams = 14.3 ounces :)

I'm more than happy with this outcome! I went into this grow hoping for a at least pound, but that was when I was starting with 12 plants. With only 7 plants making it to the end and less than 2 ounces off my mark, I can only imagine what all 12 would have given me. Or if I had not had the problems midway throughout the grow I might have reached my 1 pound mark with just the 7. Oh well, like I said I really can't be happier with what I got and the quality too. I've learned a little from my mistakes and I know next time will better than this. Sorry I keep going on, I smoked some of the larry before writing this :). Anyway, on to the pics...

IMG_12529.JPG
IMG_125311.JPG
IMG_125412.JPG
IMG_125510.JPG
IMG_126214.JPG
IMG_12598.JPG
IMG_126013.JPG
IMG_12638.JPG
IMG_1267.PNG

Tahoe OG
IMG_123113.JPG
IMG_123213.JPG
IMG_123312.JPG
IMG_123416.JPG
IMG_123520.JPG

818 Headband
IMG_123618.JPG
IMG_123713.JPG
IMG_123817.JPG
IMG_123916.JPG
IMG_124018.JPG

Critical Jack Herer
IMG_124116.JPG
IMG_124214.JPG
IMG_124315.JPG
IMG_124414.JPG
IMG_124512.JPG
IMG_124615.JPG

Chem Valley Kush
IMG_124714.JPG
IMG_124813.JPG
IMG_124913.JPG
IMG_125011.JPG

These last three I kept in one big jar and didn't feel like sorting them out so there is only pictures of one or two nugs from each. All combined make up the bud around the bong in the first pics.

Chem4 OG
IMG_125710.JPG
IMG_126513.JPG

Larry OG
IMG_12589.JPG
IMG_126111.JPG

Black Russian
IMG_125611.JPG
IMG_126413.JPG

Unfortunately you guys will have to wait for a real smoke report because I haven't really taken the time to smoke each bud individually to capture the essence of each. They all smoke really great and clean, which I think is due to me stopping pretty much all nutrient use almost a month and a half before they finished. The highs on all, with maybe the exception of the CVK, are pretty powerful and long lasting. I would recommend any of the strains if anyone was considering growing them. I will do a quick smell report the best I can so you aren't left with nothing.

Tahoe OG, Larry OG, and Chem4 OG- all have that OG, skunky, fuely smell with strongest smelling to least going in that order.

818 Headband - has an extremely strong very spicy smell unlike any weed I've smelled before, I wish you guys could smell this bud through the screen to see what I'm talking about. Very strong, very spicy.

Chem Valley Kush - smells very fruity with a slight skunky undertone.

Black Russian - I can't really describe this one, nothing comes to mind to relate it too, not too strong.

Critical Jack Herer - Smells like strongly of a sweet candy, I love popping the jar open on this one.

Other than that, this journal is now complete and can now be moved to Completed Journals forum. Thanks again everyone. Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom