2016 - Perpetual Basement Blues In RDWC - 1000W HPS - Autoflowering Blue Strains

:biglaugh:
Nah, you started 6 because you anticipated issues, like 1 not sprouting and.. Yeah. Always nice to have more then needed Vs not enough.

Yeah, that too. I was probably thinking about that one that herm'd last time LOL

3" in 21 days, goodness that is a slow Auto indeed. I wasn't aware that hermi's were such an issue with Autos, you've had at least one already do that to you right? Can they start to hermi even after they've begun to flower?

I've had 1 in 5 feminized auto go herm so far. It's not just autos that will do that - any pot plant can herm due to stress or even sometimes just because it figures out there aren't any males, and nature has a habit of trying to keep its balance. The one I had was a weird plant from germination, but it can happen to perfectly normal plants, too. And, yes, the hermaphroditic traits typically happen after flowering has started - it's usually not the whole plant that develops male parts when it happens. Sometimes, if you're persistent and careful, you can come along and pick off the male bits and "save" the plant, but I just trash them. Sometimes, it is really cool when one will herm if you happen to be in the mood to try to pollenate and make seeds.

I do think, compared to my experience with photo period plants, the autos are less "stable" genetics than the photos. I think - but I really don't know this at all it's just my little guess - maybe the auto seeds are not as far along in their crosses generationally - like they're F3s or F4s instead of being a little more stable and established through more generations. Maybe that's why you see so much phenotype variation when you grow them out. *shrug*

They look so perky and happy this morning. The water is finally perfect for them (which figures because tomorrow I have to up their nutes and torture them again).

My favorite has a name now - Edna (Irish for little seed hahah) and her little sister Fabia (again, Irish for little bean). The others are still waiting to be called. LOL

2015-12-04_05_20_59.jpg

This is Fabia up close - the pictures don't do her justice. She's got this sheen to her that's just breathtaking.
2015-12-04_05_21_51.jpg

I am considering trying FIM on the taller two of the six. Not sure I want to do that, but they're so tall compared to the others.

Also, I ordered a humidifier for the room. The one I had is broken.

I didn't make it into my office again today because one of the little seedlings was bone dry again this morning. I'm fiddling with the tube now to fix that and thought since I wasn't overly busy with real world things, I could take time to get to know these new ladies and give them names.

2015-12-04_08_24_24.png

Abilene - born where the grass grows
Bellatrix - fighter woman (she dried out a few days ago and recovered)
Calanthe - pretty flower
Danae - running dry (this is the one over the bad spot in the hose that doesn't always water itself right)
Edna - little seed
Fabia - little bean

They range from 1" to 3.5" now.
2015-12-04_08_25_00.jpg

I have never tried to grow multiple plants in 1 container. Have you done this before? if so, how were the results ?

Yes, I have. These 6 will go into individual cells in the larger R-DWC system I've built (but which is now occupied by larger plants). However, I used to grow 6 plants in one very large rubbermaid bucket - the 20 gallon tote size with each plant in a 3 inch net pot resting in the bucket's lid.

I like the individual cells for these autoflowering plants because they're so unpredictable in terms of when they finish flowering. With photos grown from clones, having them all in one bucket is ok because they all finish flowering together.

Also, for the plants that get over 2.5 feet tall (which is like all of mine) I strongly prefer the 6 inch pot to the 3 inch pot. They get wobbly and floppy and have to be constantly tied up when they're in 3 inch pots and get very large. Some of the really short autos could easily stay in the 3 inch net pots in a hydro garden for their whole lives, though.

The results are the same. There is an advantage to individual cells if you find yourself faced with root rot or a sick plant, though.

I love your plant names :) The girls look really happy, growchick -- well done!

Thank you! I love your forum name LOL I wish I'd thought to be glittergrass, tbh.

Great minds think alike it appears. LOL! Growchick kinda suits you though. :battingeyelashes:

Sweet names. Made me think of the way Rad names his.

I had to change the water today - it was time. Since I had to drain the buckets, I wanted to take a chance to rebuild the inner hose. For those of you following along because of the funky DIY bucket - here ya go :)

I unplugged the pump and plugged it into my watering can bucket's hose to drain the thing out most of the way before I picked up the buckets and dumped them.

2015-12-05_16_46_20.jpg

I pulled the length of hose out that was in the sprayer side and cut a new piece and drilled 6 holes in it.
2015-12-05_17_01_00.jpg

Then it all got scrubbed and put back together.
2015-12-05_17_09_03.jpg

Mixed up grow nutrients into 4 gallons water: 15 mL FG, 10 mL FM, 5 mL FB, 10 mL CaMg, 8 mL Hydroguard, 8 mL Rapidroot. PPM is at 1060 (my natural is 150 so that's only 100 off - aiming at 800). They might get a little burned with this, but I get this feeling these plants like it a little hot.

2015-12-05_17_28_39.jpg

I'm looking at the big plants again - they won't come down for 2 weeks minimum. These 6 will be pushing it to stay in their tiny little starter cups for that long, and there is the very real possibility that it is 3 or 4 weeks before the big garden is fully cleared out to make room for them. I am both incredibly annoyed that I didn't plan this very well and frustrated that I may have messed these sweet little things up. I'm just going to take a deep breath and roll with it, though, because what else can I do!

I'm guessing the back up plan bucket will have to be built. Unfortunately, I used it to make the hash in, and now I have to clean it up and get all the sticky residue out of it. At least I've got something to do!

Abilene has undergone some corrective surgery. I think this is called FIM. She's just so tall, so I thought I would try to branch her out a bit and slow her down. I split her forming leaf pairs until they wouldn't split any more and nipped off just the tiniest bit of new leaf.

Back
Top Bottom