300W LED Shootout: 12/12 From Seed - Featuring Super Silver Haze

Jozo-sha

So, here it is....the first time I get to be in the enviable position of testing out a sponsor's product in a side-by-side grow. I wish to up front thank @420 and @GrowGSL for making this possible :Namaste:

And for all of you that might wander by and possibly hang out while I get this thing going - :welcome: and have a hit of this dank ass Hindu Kush I scored at the dispensary - :passitleft:

I've been mulling how to approach this experiment, and set up the parameters to make it as fair as is possible. Since many would argue that a comparison from clones would be more fair, given identical genetics, but since this is MY comparison grow, and my style is 12/12 from seed, that was the first major parameter I set.

Next thing I had to think about was what medium I was going to use for this comparison. I briefly entertained going back to DWC for this, mainly because I feel with NO completed grows in soil, I might be lacking in the skills to keep the comparison fair. As with 12/12, since my future style will be with soil, I opted for this over hydro.

Here's my preliminary soil mix (per gallon):

• 1/2 gallon Roots Organic Potting Soil
  • 1/2 gallon Fox Farms Ocean Forest
  • 4 heaping tablespoons of Dr. Earth Organic 8 Bud and Bloom Booster 4-10-7
  • 2 cups Dairy Doo Organic Compost
  • 1 tablespoon Osmocote Plus prills

I'm believing that this will successfully carry the grow through to harvest, based on my proposed watering mix/schedule. I suppose you want that too, right?

Well, I start with a base of RO/DI water, then to that (per gallon), add 1 teaspoon (5ml) of Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus. For general watering, mostly while the plants are young and not even pre-flowered, I'll just use this. Once I see sex, and flowering begins in earnest, I will add to the above 1 tablespoon of unsulfured blackstrap molasses. When I have many budsites, I'll add 1 teaspoon (5ml) of Humboldt County's Own Snow Storm Ultra. Starting week 4 of flower, and alternating weeks until the chop, I add 1 teaspoon (5ml) Humboldt County's Own Gravity to the above.

As a proponent of strong roots equalling strong vegetation and flowering, my watering occurs when the plants are almost to, but not quite at the point of wilting, then they get a slow, deep and drenching watering.

So, now we have water and soil covered. Next, what to grow in? Well, since I started trying them, I've been a fan of Superoots AirPots. Those will be the sole container used for this grow, but I've not decided what size to use yet - probably will be the two gallon size....I'll just have to think about this some more.

Next post, I'll provide information on the LED units and the chosen strain for this shootout. Stay tuned.

re: 300W LED Shootout: 12/12 from seed - featuring Super Silver Haze

Hey Jozo! You've piqued my interest! I'll be along for the ride! How many plants will you be fitting under your 300?

Good luck with the grow man!

As you all probably know by now, I'm using Super Silver Haze as the subject of this comparison grow; there are two or three seed banks providing this but I opted for Mr. Nice Seeds. I have 15 regular beans ready to go and will germinate 8 following DocBud's Germination Method - I'll put 4 of each, picked at random, under each LED unit and start the grow, culling males as needed and paring it to one female plant per light.

I had a good discussion with @GrowGSL about his Pro-Bloom units, and he reported that for some reason, sativas really go nuts for the spectrum; this, coupled with DocBud's observation that sativas would do better 12/12 from seed (which, by the way, makes total sense, as tropical sativas get pretty much 12/12 from birth to death...) pushed me to pick Super Silver Haze.

The unit that our gracious sponsor @GrowGSL provided is the GS300 300W Quantum Pro-Bloom. It's a beautifully manufactured unit, and much lighter weight than other units of comparable wattage. The competition is a Chinese manufactured "12-band" LED unit, with a declared 395 watts, but was referred to as a 300W unit. If I could afford to spend the money on them, I'd have a pair of Kill-A-Watt boxes on them each to get an accurate number for you folks.

With regards to the tent, I've got spare 'hanging' rods in it, so I'm just going to buy a nice large piece of panda film and add shower curtain rings for ease of use, string that sheet up and go....since the LED's in both units are using 90° lenses, I won't require complete isolation of the lighting. Being able to pull the panda film out of the way will make for nice comparison shots ;)

For added fairness, I will also be provide shots of the plants ONLY, not the LED units used in the grow. I may even mask them off in the tent somehow so if I do a full side-by-side shot with the tent wide open, then units will not be visible. I think this will remove any pre-disposed bias in the mind of the gentle readers, since none will know what plant is being lit by which unit. If I can mange to get the girls through to choppin' time with no major disasters, then get through drying and having a weight without smoking it all up, I will publicly reveal which unit produced what final weight. Fair enough, right?

So, what haven't I covered yet?

Looks like you have thought about everything. :hippy::slide: It'll be interesting to see how this comparison grow goes! Good luck Honey.

I got you by my side, woman! I don't need any luck! :circle-of-love:

Keep the crowd guessing, I like this! Just wondering, are you going to pH the water and if you are could you chime in how you go about it? Thanks, I'm in for the ride!:popcorn:

Keep the crowd guessing, I like this! Just wondering, are you going to pH the water and if you are could you chime in how you go about it? Thanks, I'm in for the ride!:popcorn:

'sup, Stink? ;) I've not pH'd the water so far in my current grow, besides you can't measure the pH of RO/DI, no ions to interact with the probe to do anything meaningful. It might be a data point to consider for this shootout, but other than the recent nute burn from my 'dunking' experiment, the water hasn't seemed to be an issue as far as pH is concerned in my current grow.

Should it come up, and more veteran growers chime in to the contrary, I'd probably just take to RO/DI water, 5 gallons at a time, add my cal-mag, then measure the pH and use pH-Down to adjust it to 6.0 or somewhere in that neighborhood. Once that's stabilized, and only then would I add my other additives. Hope that helped!

Oh, and for the records, I'm loathe to spend the money on pH meters and shit like that, so I just use pH test strips from the pool supplies aisle at my local mega-consumerism-we-got-it-all store.

Hey jozo what's up! This sounds dope! I'm really looking forward to seeing how the LEDs pan out! I'm gonna be watching them and maybe I'll invest into LEDs !

Hey jozo what's up! This sounds dope! I'm really looking forward to seeing how the LEDs pan out! I'm gonna be watching them and maybe I'll invest into LEDs !
The hardest part will not be if, but which LED to buy.

@JZ,
Congrats on being sponsored, you need to get a GSL sticker on your jacket ala NASCAR style.

IM In Jz very interested in this!
i like the low down in the specifics! SSH! :adore: it will be nice to see another no mercy grow... they are finally starting to get some attention.
your absolutely right that sativas do very well with 12/12 from seed... they stay at a more manageable size and grow very well and i havent noticed myself there being much of a weight difference vs. sativas that were vegged....were as indicas there is a noticeable difference when vegging.

i like that your keeping the Led's hidden till the end.
+ rep for the grow and getting the sponsor!

Awesome - I'm excited to follow this. I also like that you aren't revealing which light is which. Should help give some better honest feedback from the peanut gallery. ;)

Now, all I can think about is how much I want to try growing some Sativas 12/12 from seed.

:popcorn:

Heya CannaVince, if you just search the forums here, there's many very successful LED grows here on 420 ;) - I'm excited by the prospect of really doing a semi-blind test, since I'll be the only one that knows which unit is which :). I'm convinced LED's are the future of growing.

@JZ,
Congrats on being sponsored, you need to get a GSL sticker on your jacket ala NASCAR style.

Well, I'll wait 'til after the grow to push for the stickers ;)

IM In Jz very interested in this!
i like the low down in the specifics! SSH! :adore: it will be nice to see another no mercy grow... they are finally starting to get some attention.
your absolutely right that sativas do very well with 12/12 from seed... they stay at a more manageable size and grow very well and i havent noticed myself there being much of a weight difference vs. sativas that were vegged....were as indicas there is a noticeable difference when vegging.

i like that your keeping the Led's hidden till the end.
+ rep for the grow and getting the sponsor!

Thanks brother! Depending on how the SSH do, I'd like to find another mostly/pure sativa to try out with 12/12. I was looking for sativa clones, but none of my sources had anything. I'm starting to find I like sativas more and more, as I can still really function well, but get the pain relief I need. Good for daytime, for sure!

Can't wait to see the results.... On board and thanks for the hit...

Welcome, leebee! I can't wait to get started! I should be ready to start rocking within then next 3 weeks.

Awesome - I'm excited to follow this. I also like that you aren't revealing which light is which. Should help give some better honest feedback from the peanut gallery. ;)

Now, all I can think about is how much I want to try growing some Sativas 12/12 from seed.

:popcorn:

:Namaste: - I hope I do a good job :)

Im in good luck or should i say good woman,lol
HH:roorrip:
:circle-of-love: <---- how I feel about my woman, Herbal Annie!
must see, gl m8
Thanks fatnugs, I appreciate you coming by to witness the comparison! After the luck I've recently had, I'm due for some of the good type!

Sorry to you all that I've not updated in a bit; it's been a crazy two weeks with pulling long hours at work, traveling out of state, a visit to the ER for a migraine/sinus infection and dealing with the basement flood that killed my last grow.

I'm still getting the basement all put back together, and need to pick up the panda film and new soil and compost (the bags of FFOF and Roots were ruined, as was the Dairy Doo compost), strip down and clean/sanitize the Air Pots, as well as strip down the tents and bleach them down.

Just wanted to let everyone know that this is going forward, just a little faster than I'd planned originally, and I have some replenishing of supplies to do. I have also been still tinkering with the idea of trying the Scientific Soils stuff a local dispensary has, but then again, I just bought a new jug of OC+...decisions, decisions....

More updates coming as I get the mess sorted out downstairs and get this thing going!

:Namaste:

Just an update:

Got both tents thoroughly cleaned/sanitized, and am going to try and get the beans popping for this shoot out by Sunday night - just need soil and panda film, and since it seemed the Roots spawned some soil gnats (I started seeing them right before The Flood), I'm going to not use that this time. I'm still on the fence about whether to try the Scientific Soils or not. I'm still hot on the idea of a sprout to chop, watering only medium, with adjuncts just for giggles (think SSU and Gravity). Also, since the soil in Air Pots tends to dry out faster, maybe adding 25% or so of coco coir to the soil might be of some benefit?

Just throwing all this out there, looking for some feedback. Thanks again for taking the time to read this!

:Namaste:

Closer to starting! Went to a local gardening supply just a bit ago and picked up 3 bags of Morgan Composting Outdoor Plant Mix 301 which is (according to them):
This potting soil is derived from key ingredients like Dairy Doo, Poultry Compost, Worm Castings, which are biological growth enhancers. Also Sphagnum Peat, Coconut Coir, Double Ground Bark, Paramagnetic Rock, HiCal Lime, Gypsum, Vermiculite, and Perlite, all added to give plants a strong and healthy start.

I asked the kind lady at the center if this would be good for container growing, and she showed me potted tomatoes that looked gorgeous. "I only watered them out of the hose when they looked thirsty..", she said, adding, "you won't need nutrients or fertilizers, I don't guess.."

I figure I'll use this straight, no OC+, water with molasses and the odd compost tea made from the Dr. Earth Big Bloom Booster, and Snow Storm Ultra and Gravity at the finish. The base water will be as earlier described, RO/DI with Cal-Mag added as the plants demand (probably 5-10mg/gallon).

Sound good? Feedback?

Sounds like a very soil mix. Every thing you could want all rolled in to one with out having to mix it your self. It hard to find something like that around here. The tea look like it would do the trick and help those beauties to swell. Very simple controls, keep up the work and I can't wate to see you get things going.

hey Jz sounds like a good solid plan brother. just make sure that you watch them leaves in case the soil is hot or not enough nitro. i would however suggest looking in to your micros.... they will help it so that the plant will have access to the available nutes that are dormant in the soil material. something like great White for your Myco/s (fungi) and the ET line for your Anzo's (micro bacts).
if you have a good enough soil mix you cal almost use just the beni's and few supplements and have great results..... got to love simplicity!

cant wait to see this get going!

Back
Top Bottom