420 Magazine's Nug of the Month: August 2020

420 Magazine's Nug of the Month: August 2020

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nug of the Month is now closed to entries. The poll has been posted and awaits your vote.

There's a full list of all the entries now in the first post in-thread for ease of comparison.

Good luck to all our frosty friends. :circle-of-love:

10. Editing Photos: You may resize and/or crop your photos, however adding text, images and effects are prohibited. This makes it a fair contest for all, as not everyone can afford photo editing programs and/or know how to use the them.

Just wondering if using a filter would be considered adding effects since it changes the way things actually look ? I have some pics I've done that to but not sure I can use them in a contest.

10. Editing Photos: You may resize and/or crop your photos, however adding text, images and effects are prohibited. This makes it a fair contest for all, as not everyone can afford photo editing programs and/or know how to use the them.

Just wondering if using a filter would be considered adding effects since it changes the way things actually look ? I have some pics I've done that to but not sure I can use them in a contest.

I think that is open for debate. I can think of several cases where effects should be considered legit. I think people should be able to use simple filters for example when they have blurple lights, at least for one picture. A simple filter can revert this purple tone to green and we can get a clearer look to the plants. You can't always use sunlight to take a nice contest pic. At least I can't with my plants. Other than blurple lights, it may change the color of the plant and since we all know people like to see colorful things here, it may effect the results. I have no knowledge on photography but some iphone filters seem okay to me. I can't tell if there is a filter or not. A trained eye though, can easily tell. Anyways I know that these things apply to blurple photos as well and since they already look weird, I just use flash when taking pictures under blurple lights. Thankfully, I am able to build my own fixtures now and never go back to blurple again :blunt:

I know I can make my plant pics look much prettier using a filter than they actually look without one. That's why I'm wondering if it's OK to use one. I have noticed 1 person who is using a filter in this contest & I've held back on using my enhanced photo's because I didn't think they could be used. But if Teddy replies and says it's OK .... I'll use them. But I don't want to post pics that will be disqualified so looking to get some clarity on the subject.

I know I can make my plant pics look much prettier using a filter than they actually look without one. That's why I'm wondering if it's OK to use one. I have noticed 1 person who is using a filter in this contest & I've held back on using my enhanced photo's because I didn't think they could be used. But if Teddy replies and says it's OK .... I'll use them. But I don't want to post pics that will be disqualified so looking to get some clarity on the subject.

Understandable :passitleft:

I think that is open for debate. I can think of several cases where effects should be considered legit. I think people should be able to use simple filters for example when they have blurple lights, at least for one picture. A simple filter can revert this purple tone to green and we can get a clearer look to the plants. You can't always use sunlight to take a nice contest pic. At least I can't with my plants. Other than blurple lights, it may change the color of the plant and since we all know people like to see colorful things here, it may effect the results. I have no knowledge on photography but some iphone filters seem okay to me. I can't tell if there is a filter or not. A trained eye though, can easily tell. Anyways I know that these things apply to blurple photos as well and since they already look weird, I just use flash when taking pictures under blurple lights. Thankfully, I am able to build my own fixtures now and never go back to blurple again :blunt:
I must be the odd one out, as I actually love the way plants look under blurple lighting. I'm actually thinking about hooking my old one up just to take photos with.

IMG_20200824_174101_139~2.jpg

I know they hide leaf discolouration and other issues, I just love the way they look.

Plants do look cool under Blurples. The filters I'm talking about are built in to your computer.
Filters like Sahara, Ice, Denim, etc. that alter the actual color of the plant. Combine this with brightness & clarity & you can make a not so nice looking pic look better. However, it is noticeable by the unrealistic color in some photo's.

Back
Top Bottom