420 Magazine's Nug of the Month: June 2023

420 Magazine's Nug of the Month: June 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
“if I could add a rule”;

Buds have to be from a journal grown and harvested with proof on the site… otherwise anyone can buy a very expensive bud, picture it and win.

The contest has lots of layers to it; if we really wanted to audit the entries more rules need to be set and met by all nominated candidates.

Soooo many buds can be store bought. I give that 0 merit. Sorry don’t get my vote if you didn’t grow the nug, or the plant. I’m always on the fence when it comes to voting… I know some members here just vote between each other it’s now obvious when we can view who votes for who… seen way too many of you vote for your buddy just because… contest sometimes have nothing to do with the entry and all to do with the member posting it. Am I right or not? Call me out.

what I do enjoy is seeing over and over some of the same members win 100 contests that clearly they could not have grown plants and buds in one season.

Come on guys… vote for the newbie doing an excellent job at it, why give it again to the member that has 100 contests won??

Normally I don’t care about these things I only care about my game and raising the level on my turf (organic outdoors) but,
I’m trying hard to not be an outcast and putting some time in the community giving my honest opinion.

:passitleft:
I could get with that for sure.
Although I went with guideline #1, the nug I entered was payed for at a legal shop, I would be completely good with it being disqualified from the contest.
From now on I'll post what I grow only. I ran out before my harvest and had to fill the gap with the shop cash register.
I know you're not calling anybody out, I'm just honest like that 💚

Although I went with guideline #1, the nug I entered was payed for at a legal shop, I would be completely good with it being disqualified from the contest.
From now on I'll post what I grow only. I ran out before my harvest and had to fill the gap with the shop cash register.
You cannot be called out for honesty that is very good of you stating your nug is store bought.

Okay.

You’re wrong.

I fridge dry and for the most part my stems stay green.

There are many reasons people make mistakes. Most times it’s just an honest mistake ie not reading the rules.

There are also many ways we can respond, when we feel someone has made a mistake. One way is publicly announce it then have a public pile on. The other way is to privately point out the error. Personally I much prefer someone point my mistake out privately.

And a big thanks to @420 for even giving us the opportunity to showcase our wares and win prizes. While I’m not an entering contest kinda gal, I nominate and vote every month.
@Trala - THANK YOU!!!! That is one excellent point. I will almost never have a problem with someone sending me a message to call me out. Great discussion happens sometimes. But I will almost always have some level of issue being called out publicly, depending on how it’s done. Nobody likes that. It comes off wrong 99% of the time. I’m not suggesting a rules change. I am suggesting that this is a lot easier than it seems. Why can’t we all just apply the same standards we apply to ourselves as human beings to our contest entries and commentary? Do people here go around scamming people by choice, in their regular lives? Generally speaking I would hope not. Are the people here generally liars in real life? I would think not.

How a bud is trimmed matters not in the least. Trimming is highly personal. Some like a show trim. Others keep outer leaves on purpose to seal in moisture and terps. Just because a bud looks poorly trimmed to one person doesn’t mean it’s not perfectly trimmed to another. The trimming argument is silly, or more politely, come on..

Trala is 100% on point on the green stems. There are any number of ways to end up that way. Especially early in a cure. My buds are contest ready when they are jarred and stable. I have held off on entering before because all I had currently at the time was buds that hit the jars on the 13th, and I wasn’t confident they were stable. I give us credit that most display the same level of integrity in the contests.

Do I occasionally see a nug that just clearly doesn’t belong in the contest by anyone’s standards? Sure. But I also see that often times those are entered by new members who might not have digested the nuances yet. Isn’t it better to educate in that case rather than assume the worst and criticize?

I gotta think we are all adults here, and conduct ourselves with some level of honor and integrity. I see for myself that most mistakes are just that. This is not a place for criticism in my opinion. This is a place for us to share the joy of marveling at one another’s hard work.

Regarding entering a nug you didn’t grow -
That is not against the rules. But it’s straight up not ready for prime time material. Rookie crap. Be better than that.

Ok. Phew. There’s my (a bit more than) two cents.

“if I could add a rule”;

Buds have to be from a journal grown and harvested with proof on the site… otherwise anyone can buy a very expensive bud, picture it and win.

The contest has lots of layers to it; if we really wanted to audit the entries more rules need to be set and met by all nominated candidates.

Soooo many buds can be store bought. I give that 0 merit. Sorry don’t get my vote if you didn’t grow the nug, or the plant. I’m always on the fence when it comes to voting… I know some members here just vote between each other it’s now obvious when we can view who votes for who… seen way too many of you vote for your buddy just because… contest sometimes have nothing to do with the entry and all to do with the member posting it. Am I right or not? Call me out.

what I do enjoy is seeing over and over some of the same members win 100 contests that clearly they could not have grown plants and buds in one season.

Come on guys… vote for the newbie doing an excellent job at it, why give it again to the member that has 100 contests won??

Normally I don’t care about these things I only care about my game and raising the level on my turf (organic outdoors) but,
I’m trying hard to not be an outcast and putting some time in the community giving my honest opinion.

:passitleft:
Thanks for saying what many of are thinking 🤔 and would also like to say but for the retribution it would surely bring. I salute you for your honesty and bravery Sir. CL🍀 :thumb: :bravo::welldone::adore: :thanks:

@Trala - THANK YOU!!!! That is one excellent point. I will almost never have a problem with someone sending me a message to call me out. Great discussion happens sometimes. But I will almost always have some level of issue being called out publicly, depending on how it’s done. Nobody likes that. It comes off wrong 99% of the time. I’m not suggesting a rules change. I am suggesting that this is a lot easier than it seems. Why can’t we all just apply the same standards we apply to ourselves as human beings to our contest entries and commentary? Do people here go around scamming people by choice, in their regular lives? Generally speaking I would hope not. Are the people here generally liars in real life? I would think not.

How a bud is trimmed matters not in the least. Trimming is highly personal. Some like a show trim. Others keep outer leaves on purpose to seal in moisture and terps. Just because a bud looks poorly trimmed to one person doesn’t mean it’s not perfectly trimmed to another. The trimming argument is silly, or more politely, come on..

Trala is 100% on point on the green stems. There are any number of ways to end up that way. Especially early in a cure. My buds are contest ready when they are jarred and stable. I have held off on entering before because all I had currently at the time was buds that hit the jars on the 13th, and I wasn’t confident they were stable. I give us credit that most display the same level of integrity in the contests.

Do I occasionally see a nug that just clearly doesn’t belong in the contest by anyone’s standards? Sure. But I also see that often times those are entered by new members who might not have digested the nuances yet. Isn’t it better to educate in that case rather than assume the worst and criticize?

I gotta think we are all adults here, and conduct ourselves with some level of honor and integrity. I see for myself that most mistakes are just that. This is not a place for criticism in my opinion. This is a place for us to share the joy of marveling at one another’s hard work.

Regarding entering a nug you didn’t grow -
That is not against the rules. But it’s straight up not ready for prime time material. Rookie crap. Be better than that.

Ok. Phew. There’s my (a bit more than) two cents.
Very well put Jon

I think you have something there.

I appreciate you Keith for real bro. Thanks for acknowledging my opinion, you don’t have to agree with me but at least you are brave enough to acknowledge that there might be some truth.
The division in the community can be seen on how many of you didn't even comment after what I said; I'm such an outspoken person, in real life I talk for hours and make good points...
I really don't know why the heck I put my time sometimes on stuff like this here since out of the 50 something members that vote constantly, 40 of you don't seem to care enough if the person making a point doesn't have 30 badges on their name...

Love the photos, love the nugs, love the plants, the humans...

And that right there is how simple this is. It's not a bad thing at all If I entered and someone said sorry mate I don't think your bud meets rule no3 I'd also oh my bad didn't see that and rectify job done..

Mr bokashi don't feel 2 ways bro you meet the guidelines. when posting just write shop bought.. theirs nothing against that from me as it's in the rules... Plus not everyone here grows so I don't mind them getting a chance to be involved as it's in the rules and I read the rules myself. When I enter a bud into the contest I already know I could be competing with pharmaceutical or whatever bud but just think it should be stated bought or home grown..

When it comes to only buds grown by yourself can be entered I'm on the fence with it.. as I'm here to see the bud.. as long as people say they didn't grow it then they would probably be judged different but alot of growers don't have the time to journal but still help out where they can here.. they definitely deserve the chance to enter plus we've never reached the limit of entries.. I'd like to see more bud and more entries over who journaled their grow.

I think the rules are fine as they are except clarifying the buds source.

I think I already agreed with Jon.. it's your bud you grow it and present it as you like only rule is that it's dried and cured.. how we judge each bud is down to our own preference. That's why when I enter even if I think I have a butters bud theirs still a chance of winning as others might love it.. so get them buds in!

Only changes I'd say to make things fair and clear is to clarify things like
who grew it.
dry time.
cure time
and so on.. that way people that care about some of these things can judge fairly?? I think that's the best way anyways?
Could even Do a copy and paste of a few questions that need to answered to enter like ubove.
✌🏽

I appreciate you Keith for real bro. Thanks for acknowledging my opinion, you don’t have to agree with me but at least you are brave enough to acknowledge that there might be some truth.
The division in the community can be seen on how many of you didn't even comment after what I said; I'm such an outspoken person, in real life I talk for hours and make good points...
I really don't know why the heck I put my time sometimes on stuff like this here since out of the 50 something members that vote constantly, 40 of you don't seem to care enough if the person making a point doesn't have 30 badges on their name...

I appreciate you keeping it real. I attempted to follow suit. We don’t have to agree. Dialogue is better than worrying about who is right. Together we can clear any impasse. But like you say - you gotta keep it real.

And that right there is how simple this is. It's not a bad thing at all If I entered and someone said sorry mate I don't think your bud meets rule no3 I'd also oh my bad didn't see that and rectify job done..

Mr bokashi don't feel 2 ways bro you meet the guidelines. when posting just write shop bought.. theirs nothing against that from me as it's in the rules... Plus not everyone here grows so I don't mind them getting a chance to be involved as it's in the rules and I read the rules myself. When I enter a bud into the contest I already know I could be competing with pharmaceutical or whatever bud but just think it should be stated bought or home grown..

When it comes to only buds grown by yourself can be entered I'm on the fence with it.. as I'm here to see the bud.. as long as people say they didn't grow it then they would probably be judged different but alot of growers don't have the time to journal but still help out where they can here.. they definitely deserve the chance to enter plus we've never reached the limit of entries.. I'd like to see more bud and more entries over who journaled their grow.

I think the rules are fine as they are except clarifying the buds source.

I think I already agreed with Jon.. it's your bud you grow it and present it as you like only rule is that it's dried and cured.. how we judge each bud is down to our own preference. That's why when I enter even if I think I have a butters bud theirs still a chance of winning as others might love it.. so get them buds in!

Only changes I'd say to make things fair and clear is to clarify things like
who grew it.
dry time.
cure time
and so on.. that way people that care about some of these things can judge fairly?? I think that's the best way anyways?
Could even Do a copy and paste of a few questions that need to answered to enter like ubove.
✌🏽
Sounds fair enough to me. CL🍀

Sounds fair enough to me. CL🍀
I’m not a rules changer type guy, but I will say that when I jar my buds I date them so I know when they began curing. I’d be more than happy to share that info in my entries whether or not it was a rule.

Anything I say is not a direct message to anyone unless I put the name on the post.

I don’t want to discourage anyone from entering a contest.

And you are totally right you have respected all rules therefore your entry counts.
It’s totally fair bro.

My strong point intended was; It would be something else if all buds and plants were exclusively grown and journaled to be nominated. Now the bar has been raised very high, now a plant or bud that gets 25 votes we can all agree; that’s some real talent and craftsmanship.

To be honest I don’t mind store bought entries, they make me drool and wanna smoke that; but competition wise we stand no chance at high end dispensary bud. At least I know mine are never looking like that because of the way I grow and how I harvest…

Lots of interesting thoughts and points. If we add any more guidelines we’ll be lucky to get as many entries, votes and participation, so we need to be careful. It’s a fine line.

Thanks Jon.

I just want to add first and foremost that for me contests are fun. I love seeing what everyone is doing, what they are curing, cutting. I would hate the contests to lose that sense of fun. I love watching members proudly present their nominations. And I always vote for the picture I think is best.

All I was trying to say is it doesn’t feel nice to be singled out and piled on. I have had it done to me and it actually really hurt my feelings, seeing a negative written about me and watching that posters friends like/love the responses. I felt very alone and very targeted. That doesn’t mean I was right in that instance, I was probably being a monumental pain in the fucking arse lolling, but that’s how it made me feel. All I was trying to say is it doesn’t feel nice to have a group obviously and publicly talking about you without mentioning your name that’s all.

I love reading the opinions and thoughts of others. We are grown ups. We don’t have to always agree. I would hate it if posters felt they couldn’t share how the feel in case someone disagrees. Robust discussions where views are challenged are usually when I learn the most. I am quite the dumbarse, but I’m wise enough to know just because I believe it to be true, doesn’t mean it is lol.

Oiii bruv! I nominate a journal/member every month, I always vote and I have zero badges LOLLING!
Me too!

There are lots of flavours here. And everyone brings something. I love the fact there is room for everyone.

I start my day, every day with you all and I’m super thankful of that :)

Thanks for saying what many of are thinking 🤔 and would also like to say but for the retribution it would surely bring. I salute you for your honesty and bravery Sir. CL🍀 :thumb: :bravo::welldone::adore: :thanks:
And thank you for sharing :)

Just because I might not agree with what you are saying doesn’t mean I don’t respect your point of view :)

My apologies for coming across strong yesterday. I'm not here to belittle anyone but gets frustrating sometimes seeing "some" folks cut corners. It's a small percentage but impactful on the votes and the growers that spent 4 months with this plant, it's personal to some level. I'm just being honest folks.
You guys see it too. I understand it's not my job to be the police but if it discourages younger growers.
Hate that I started this, spending to much time in this area..
Much love folks

My apologies for coming across strong yesterday. I'm not here to belittle anyone but gets frustrating sometimes seeing "some" folks cut corners. It's a small percentage but impactful on the votes and the growers that spent 4 months with this plant, it's personal to some level. I'm just being honest folks.
You guys see it too. I understand it's not my job to be the police but if it discourages younger growers.
Hate that I started this, spending to much time in this area..
Much love folks
I see the same thing with the same people voting for the same people every month and if you aren’t in the circle forget it because you don’t have a chance. Sorry but just calling a spade ♠️ a spade. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom