$53 shipping costs

Flat rate box prices off the Postal Service site to give you an idea:

Postage Price Calculator Mail Services

And that would be if it fits one of those sizes, otherwise it varies on the dimensions and the weight of the package. So that is actually pretty reasonable (though businesses that ship a lot get a break from regular retail prices).

USPS is always the best choice and pricing for shipment. a majority of US companies refuse to ship that way for the reasons cited tho.

the bottom line is shipping kills loads of sales. all of my automotive suppliers will work with me on shipping to make the sale, but that's because i have ongoing relationships with most of them. electronics .. not a hope.

as for mars hydro, there is a canadian reseller of their products with better pricing than i can get from the mars site direct, which is all priced in USD. what is the main difference ? they include shipping in the cost.

$53 is pretty standard for US to EU shipping, but adding shipping after check-out is not cool.

I really like Digi-key, free worldwide shipping on orders over $60, and a choice of carrier as well, with DHL it usually takes 3 days from US to EU, if I send a letter to myself it'll take more than a week to show up :)

B2B businesses are usually a lot better than retailers, having a VAT number can be very useful ;)

It’s pretty common where I live - northern BC, Canada, to pay 100% shipping rates on products from our next door neighbour. Heavy items can cost twice as much for shipping as the actual product does. Which of course is totally prohibitive, IMO. But 1/3, for shipping all the way over to the UK, seems reasonable to me.
@TimberGrowLights is offering a flat $25 shipping rate to Canada until 10/31

$53 is pretty standard for US to EU shipping, but adding shipping after check-out is not cool.

that's fairly standard actually.

several times i have had charges added at the door . that's a particular kick in the nethers. the shipping company is literally holding your purchase hostage at that point.

I really like Digi-key, free worldwide shipping on orders over $60, and a choice of carrier as well, with DHL it usually takes 3 days from US to EU, if I send a letter to myself it'll take more than a week to show up :)

mouser, digi key, and newark have all been great to order from. those are all great source companies with companion sites for CDN customers, they get it. resellers of electronics, or electronic finished products, will not work with you in the same way tho.

@TimberGrowLights is offering a flat $25 shipping rate to Canada until 10/31

great product and fantastic company.

but that really drives the point home. better rates are easily possible.

great product and fantastic company.

but that really drives the point home. better rates are easily possible.

And/or they are partially eating some of the (actual) costs to stimulate sales...which I applaud.

Maybe it's time to clean out and upgrade that broom closet!

Back
Top Bottom