906 Cabin Fever Sour Daddy Auto Experiment

Seed #2 is suddenly a boy, oh well .... I have 1 more Sour Daddy seed that just went for a swim.

This is several days earlier than the female pre flower, and the plant is definitely bigger at the 3 week stage.... something I'll watch for with the last seed assuming it sprouts.

WHOOPS!? I will hazard a guess that I've been running the light a bit too close to Curly, it's been at 13" ... moved up to 15" today. The manual says there is PAR 585 @ 18", so I have been trying to push a bit more.

I immediately noticed the leaf tips while under the blurple lighting, but when I moved the plant to my table the tip burns were barely noticeable. I did change the nutrient mix yesterday but for less N with the bloom nute slightly under half strength, I think I will dilute just a bit more with next watering anyway.... less is more.

This photo was taken from above the blurple light with the plant moved a bit aside because the tips contrast much more than under a regular light, never noticed that the purple haze is not evident from above the fixture....

16" seems to be the sweet spot for my light... Curly has been getting 4:winkyface:1 FF nute @ 700ppm for the past week+, starting to smell just a bit now. She is a 60 day Sour Daddy auto, but it is going to be a while longer than that. While I am a bit disappointed in her size, not even 14", it could be due to my hempy learning curve and mistakes that were made early on.

Autos are hit and miss for me. Most of the ones I've grown were small. I've had better luck with photos for sure
I've transplanted to bigger containers a couple times, am wondering if that is a bad idea with auto's given that any transplant shock will use up some valuable time on the genetic clock.

I have a half dozen auto-fem steeds to work with, I think on next hempy run I will start in the large container and use a 1/2" column of vermiculite down the center of the perlite to help with the wicking... i.e. fill the container with perlite with a 1/2" pvc tube sticking up the middle filled with vermiculite, then pull the tube. I want to do a side by side with another seed in potting soil with generic tomato nutes for comparison.

I've transplanted to bigger containers a couple times, am wondering if that is a bad idea with auto's given that any transplant shock will use up some valuable time on the genetic clock.

I have a half dozen auto-fem steeds to work with, I think on next hempy run I will start in the large container and use a 1/2" column of vermiculite down the center of the perlite to help with the wicking... i.e. fill the container with perlite with a 1/2" pvc tube sticking up the middle filled with vermiculite, then pull the tube. I want to do a side by side with another seed in potting soil with generic tomato nutes for comparison.
From the input I have gathered on my Auto grow journal I would say you are correct. Most say start to finish in one container is the best way for autos.

I saw brown spots on some leaves last night, looks like pictures of Calcium deficiency although I have been adding cal-mag to the nutes. Maybe I forgot.. last mix was for 2 days and I only check nute ppm before adding it. Reading further, there was mention the calcium uptake is best achieved at pH 6.2.... so I flushed @6.2 then re-fed with some extra calmag and pH@6.2, will drop below 6.0 on next feed. Hempy is a lot of fun in winter but I'm starting to think of dirt for springtime planting.

hey @Orlando Scout ... you keeping warm?

I think there is a solid solution to be had for those with autos needing a transplant...

Grow in coco,
Start seedlings in small coco cups/pots(not jiffy peat), this will give all the benefits of air pruning,
Then when you need to transplant/upsize, just drop the whole thing into a bigger pot,
the roots will recognize and just continue, no shock, no stunting growth!
Use Myco on the upsize and Ph your feed @ 5.8, prosper.

:Rasta:

This experiment is pushing me back to soil. This plant was a free seed, results could be genetic or a stress but the plant is barely 14" tall and may not produce much over a half oz of dry smoke.

I have one other hempy F2 plant that seems to be doing much better but is a regular photo period plant, maybe it will convince me to do more hempy if it turns out female and has a good yield ... but probably not until I have found a strain that I like which does well in soil .... the auto-fem seeds I have will go into potting mix and be fed with BioThrive+CalMag. Snow is melting fast now and I'll be back in my house in a couple weeks.

It seems like she started to foxtail, so maybe I was pushing the light.... PAR was advertised as 585@18" , so I figured 16" wouldn't be too close but .... I moved it up to 18 now and won't be so aggressive with this light going forward.

There is very little odor although the pistils are starting to brown, I'm hoping to chop her up in a couple more weeks but still no yellowing leaves down low ...

2 1/2 weeks ago... no sign of foxtail...

I wouldn't worry much about the foxtail. Some love hempy. I've never tried it. Only soil for me because it seems to have most forgiveness. I was considering dwc buckets, now I'm thinking about full organic. Anyway a 1/2 oz from be a experiment isn't too bad :) how's the weather up there

I wouldn't worry much about the foxtail. Some love hempy. I've never tried it. Only soil for me because it seems to have most forgiveness. I was considering dwc buckets, now I'm thinking about full organic. Anyway a 1/2 oz from be a experiment isn't too bad :) how's the weather up there

yes, I need forgiveness! Way many projects coming up with moving back into the house, mixing various nute ratios and pH adjustments can wait for next winter. Regarding 'full organic'.... how does that differ from using organic nutes such as BioThrive in a potting mix?

Weather is radical as always, from below zero to 50deg today in a week.... forecast shows 40's most of next week so there will be flooding. My house won't have flood problems, nice sandy area, basement is bone dry year round.

I'm not sure yet about the difference. I've never done full organic. But I keep hearing it really brings out the flavors and makes for a healthier plant. I'm going to mix up a batch of supersoil this summer and give it a try

Curly is getting a very delicious smell and is nice and frosty and chubbing up a bit but the trichomes have no hint of color yet so its looking like another week at least. I've been pushing the nutes ppm and she has shown some stress so I am cutting back the nutes this week.

I have a couple new babies now, I may start another journal after one more seed pops, an auto-fem which is the 2nd try.... the first seed I soaked had a black taproot and died. I have distilled water for this 2nd one. The 2 new sprouts are Sour 60 and will go into potting mix in hopes of their advertised 60 day finish.

I was reading in one of these threads that some auto trichomes wont turn amber?
Possibly not amber but at least opaque , not glassy clear....
The buds seem to have continued development, and the odor has intensified and no yellow or dying lower leaves.... Flowering period is about 60 days from seed according to what is advertised ... it is now over 80 days. I am going to give her at least another week while we shuttle our belongings from our city rental back to our rural house, then she likely will be chopped for better or for worse.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom