Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

question from a newbie, what pots should i be trying to end in with my babies? gotta kinda keep it small tho, limited head room.

If you've got limited headspace, I'd shoot for about 3 gallons. Depends on your strain though. A sativa in a 5 gallon pot will outgrow a 6 foot space real quick.

hows my garden looking ?
420-magazine-mobile1889240712.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1790541916.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1066417691.jpg

420-magazine-mobile834639311.jpg

As a newbie I am going to say, I think they look great!! Happy growing ! Look forward to your progress!! .

Okay, well of course this is all just constructive criticism, but in the future you should definitely plant them in smaller pots or wait longer for a transplant. They're much too small for those large pots right now, but they'll be fine. What you'll find is that your plants will stay a little small for their age in these pots because the roots won't be driven down to seek for water. So you generally want to start from something like a solo cup or smaller, to a 1 gallon after about 3 weeks, then go up 2 gallons every 2-4 weeks. The way I like to tell if a plant has outgrown its pot is that if the leaf-span is 1.5 times as large as the pot diameter, and if the plant is 2x as tall as the pot is, then it needs to be up-potted. Think of your plant and root system like an iceberg--the plant is only the tip that is visible above the water. If you get the mass below bigger, the plant will follow.

If you've got limited headspace, I'd shoot for about 3 gallons. Depends on your strain though. A sativa in a 5 gallon pot will outgrow a 6 foot space real quick.

i was thinking 3 gallons, the height of the inside of the stealth cab is 33 in , im planning on lst it hard to keep it small. Trying to make the yield as high as i can with the limited space i have.

how much is limited headroom ? you can indeed keep them small by restricting root space but it can affect yield alot couse they basically become stunted... you can avoid this by just working with clones and start them fast or from the start in 12/12

i was thinking of starting them at 12/12 but i decided im probably gonna veg for like two or three weeks. I just gotta make sure there is enough room for the stretch , aka where the lst comes in

Okay, well of course this is all just constructive criticism, but in the future you should definitely plant them in smaller pots or wait longer for a transplant. They're much too small for those large pots right now, but they'll be fine. What you'll find is that your plants will stay a little small for their age in these pots because the roots won't be driven down to seek for water. So you generally want to start from something like a solo cup or smaller, to a 1 gallon after about 3 weeks, then go up 2 gallons every 2-4 weeks. The way I like to tell if a plant has outgrown its pot is that if the leaf-span is 1.5 times as large as the pot diameter, and if the plant is 2x as tall as the pot is, then it needs to be up-potted. Think of your plant and root system like an iceberg--the plant is only the tip that is visible above the water. If you get the mass below bigger, the plant will follow.
i like critism , thats why i posted . i started with a solo cup , then 1 gallon the 5 gallon. the roots were poking through the drain holes on the 1 gallon pots

i was thinking of starting them at 12/12 but i decided im probably gonna veg for like two or three weeks. I just gotta make sure there is enough room for the stretch , aka where the lst comes in

well if ye grow from seed you will allways get a veg of about 3 weeks before they even are able to flower ;)

May I ask, when manifolding white widows, I am, how long would you keep in veg stage before changing to flower? We keep reading 4 weeks and we did later last Grow but that was due to some unknown aspects of a few other plants and wanted them to be in same schedule

If you didn't plant them at the same time, ones gonna be older, statistically. I only keep mine in veg, 6 weeks, then flip. But I LST, not manifold....

If you didn't plant them at the same time, ones gonna be older, statistically. I only keep mine in veg, 6 weeks, then flip. But I LST, not manifold....

This Grow is all together as one that's why I ask, I read 4 weeks but maybe few more? So all are same age right now, 4 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom