Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

7.5 is a little high for runoff pH but that's to be expected to a certain extent. I'm not sure that runoff is a very accurate representation of the soil pH overall personally. He mentioned he was watering with 2 cups of water (about 500 ml) and getting about 100 mL of runoff. The thing is if you pour in 500 mL of Solution A, then what comes out on the bottom in 100 mL is probably going to be more concentrated because of all the non-solubles and other solids that just pass right through and aren't caught up in the soil.

Plus, soil is a little different, especially if living soil, because the microlife will buffer the pH.

JGibs420, try giving them just one cup. Let them get really dried out before watering again. Then I'd also suggest pH'ing your input to 6.5 instead of 7. Sometimes with high runoff like that, you could try pH'ing even lower to get the run-off in the right range, but I'd be cautious about dropping down below 6, or too quickly. Start giving it 6.5 pH'd water, about half as much as you are now at the same frequency and see how they improve in about a week. Your leaves should pick back up in perkiness and if your runoff continues to be that high, then try pH'ing your inputs somewhere in the lower 6-6.5 range. I like to aim for about a 6.3 in Happy Frog that leaves me at 7.5, and my runoff will stay at 6.8 afterward--to give an example.

What kind of soil is it and what kind of inputs are you using?

Thank you for the amazing reply TF

So let me get into a bit more detail.

(First of all I'm very limited money wise so my budget is practically non existent)

Tap water here is around 9.8-10 pH which is what I'm using to mix my nutes in. Previous grows I never used nutes, just tap water, not as many problems as this grow except for nitrogen toxicity (previous grow) because of slow release fertilizer granules I used a bit in excess... Oops.

Keep in mind I've only fed 4 times this grow, most recent being 2 days ago. Before that was a flush of 2-3 times pot size (tap water, runoff was around 8.6 pH if I remember correctly)

I'm using Dr Fisher's Multifeed Flowergro 3:blushsmile:6 (46) as a general nute for both Vegetation and Flower.

Mixing it at one third strength, which brings my pH down to 7.

I heard that one can I add lemon juice to nute mix as a natural pH down? Or should I just add more nutes to the water? Or would this cause nute problems/lock?

Soil is just normal potting soil mixed 70:30 with perlite.

I'll definitely give it a bit less water if you think that'll help, but this was seriously the first time they drooped at all. Looking much better already perkiness wise.

420-magazine-mobile48607433.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1323453639.jpg

420-magazine-mobile320345249.jpg

That's some crazy high PH tap water, thought I had it rough with 8.0-8.2 lol
What's the ppm of your tap water alone? Might be dealing with "hard" water in which case there's nutes out there for hard water

Hey quick question? I'm not sure if this is an appropriate question to ask. But please bear with me and if I am not allowed to ask this then please let me know. But my question is. Is there any brothers and sisters out there that would be willing to gift any indoor grow materials that they don't wish to use or need anymore.I am poor and trying to get something up and going on a $0 budget so any kind of donation would be greatly appreciated.

There's one thing here that comes free, no charge, that I can offer you any time you need it. Advice.

First piece....... While budget grows are understandable, you still need a budget, $0 just won't cut it. When it comes to growing patience is a key factor, so just wait till the timing is right ..

That's not a bad question. Sadly I already gave away my old pre-LED gear. But there must be someone who have stuff laying around they don't use anymore. I know several members here who gave away all their old gear when they got new. So not a stupid question at all and neither inappropriate.

Hey quick question? I'm not sure if this is an appropriate question to ask. But please bear with me and if I am not allowed to ask this then please let me know. But my question is. Is there any brothers and sisters out there that would be willing to gift any indoor grow materials that they don't wish to use or need anymore.I am poor and trying to get something up and going on a $0 budget so any kind of donation would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still curious for someone to answer if your ph is too high.... if it's over 7 your plant gets starved and eats itself.... But I have no clue about soil?
I run soil indoors and out. I have noticed oh does chsnge depending on the nuts you use. But yes 7 is to high from what I understand. In bud the max ph you want to run is 6.9 which helps the phosphorous take up and bulk the buds. Before good flowering run at 6.4 to 6.6ph maxed. And in veg I run 6.2 to 6.3 part of it is I run the 6.3 and 6.6 is thats why my nutrients suggested for optimal results. If you look up pot plants ph you should easily find what ph lvl the pot plants uptake this nutrient and and how optimal it is at that ph. I hope this helps. And this is just how I do mine. Idk if its correct.

Thanks Sica and fert! I sure and just wanted conformation before I suggested something that could be harmful. Originally he didn't mention using nutes, and I know soil will buffer Ph. I think the cal mag was what caused me probs.... Mistook it for over watering then nitrogen poisoning (which did happen but wasn't currently effecting the plant) lol for a weed these plants can be temperamental at times.

Happy Friday everyone may your plants grow strong and vigorously ✌

Thanks Sica and fert! I sure and just wanted conformation before I suggested something that could be harmful. Originally he didn't mention using nutes, and I know soil will buffer Ph. I think the cal mag was what caused me probs.... Mistook it for over watering then nitrogen poisoning (which did happen but wasn't currently effecting the plant) lol for a weed these plants can be temperamental at times.

Happy Friday everyone may your plants grow strong and vigorously ✌
Always glad to help when I can lol I like testing my knowledge :)

Are preflowers 100% indicators of sex?

Plants are in week 4 veg, 16/8 light schedule, one of the sativas clearly has balls, but can that still change? Do I need to wait until they're in 12/12 to get 100% confirmation?

Question I've always wondered, why exactly is it that the medium changes the optimal PH ranges?

Like why do roots in "soilless" operate better around 5.8 whereas in soil it's 6.5
Well it's like what fert was saying I believe. Soil has a microorganisms that buffer the pH, similar to coco, but in a more alkaline range.
420-magazine-mobile1909076893.jpg

In conclusion I think the chemicals the roots give off change pH. So if your in DWC there's no medium to buffer those fluctuations and the pH is lower, whereas in Soil there are compounds avalible. Maybe? I think?

Question I've always wondered, why exactly is it that the medium changes the optimal PH ranges?

Like why do roots in "soilless" operate better around 5.8 whereas in soil it's 6.5

because in soil there are beneficial bacteria breaking down nutes in absorbable ions for the plants in turn the plant offers up some of its starches and sugars which feed the bacteria ... this happens in a thin layer around the roots called the rhizosphere its the bacteria that will regulate the ph towards what they like or find ideal ...

in soilless or hydro there are no bacteria to breakdown organic nutrients so they need nutrients that are chemically directly absorbable by the plants at the according ideal acidity meaning 5.5-5.8

when a baby is born with testicles ... is it likely they gonna fall off in puberty and tits start to grow ??

when on all the internodes male preflowers appear id say its 100% boy , any chance for a pic ?

I can post pics later, it's not on all the internodes just 2 of them.

Reason I ask is because I've seen it said so many times you can't tell sex until their in "flower" which I assume is controlled by light schedule(these aren't autos)

damn dabber beat me
Hahah well I was just venturing an educated guess but glad to know I was thinking about it correctly... It's amazing how much I learn everyday! And I have the awesome 420 family to thank for that :)

because in soil there are beneficial bacteria breaking down nutes in absorbable ions for the plants in turn the plant offers up some of its starches and sugars which feed the bacteria ... this happens in a thin layer around the roots called the rhizosphere its the bacteria that will regulate the ph towards what they like or find ideal ...

in soilless or hydro there are no bacteria to breakdown organic nutrients so they need nutrients that are chemically directly absorbable by the plants at the according ideal acidity meaning 5.5-5.8

Ok, I think it was the mycorrhizae that was throwing my understanding off a bit, I know I have to try and prevent watering with chlorine so I don't kill this fungi off

Thank you .

Thinking about starting to flush my plants this week but not too sure. The hairs on my plant have starting turning a brownish/red color. About 10-15% have changed. I've been in flowering for about 8 weeks now. Does that sound like a good time to start flushing? Here's what she looks like.

420-magazine-mobile845714780.jpg

420-magazine-mobile84411420.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1941023887.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1452057106.jpg

Hello I'm still new around here and looked for answers but....no luck.
So I am trying to get (an I don't know how old) seed to pop. I placed in paper towel over 24 hours ago and have kept moist and dark.
The seed has gone very dark in colour but no tap root yet.
How long is a normal wait to see a tap root?

Thinking about starting to flush my plants this week but not too sure. The hairs on my plant have starting turning a brownish/red color. About 10-15% have changed. I've been in flowering for about 8 weeks now. Does that sound like a good time to start flushing? Here's what she looks like.

420-magazine-mobile845714780.jpg

420-magazine-mobile84411420.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1941023887.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1452057106.jpg

I believe it's all about the trichomes, need a loupe or something with at least 50x magnification to view the color of the trichs

Back
Top Bottom