Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

I believe it's all about the trichomes, need a loupe or something with at least 50x magnification to view the color of the trichs

I have a telescope on order. I should get it tomorrow. I know that the trichomes are the best way to tell but I read somewhere that when the trichomes turn cloudy its time to harvest but I'm not 100% sure on when to start flushing. I wanna try to get a nice smooth smoke. This is my first grow so I'm just trying to stay ahead. I don't want to start flushing my plant when I should be harvesting. Any advice on what to look for as a sign as to when to start flushing?

I could be wrong but I believe that's all about the trichs too, I'm on my first grow still and not at that point yet so I haven't read everything there is to know about it.

I think the general idea is when x amount of trichs are x color it's time to start flushing

I could be wrong but I believe that's all about the trichs too, I'm on my first grow still and not at that point yet so I haven't read everything there is to know about it.

I think the general idea is when x amount of trichs are x color it's time to start flushing

So what your saying is I need to find out what x amount is. Lol. I've been looking. There's so much different info out on the internet that it's hard to know what amount is right. That's why I figured I'd come to a forum of people that have experience with growing.

Hello I'm still new around here and looked for answers but....no luck.
So I am trying to get (an I don't know how old) seed to pop. I placed in paper towel over 24 hours ago and have kept moist and dark.
The seed has gone very dark in colour but no tap root yet.
How long is a normal wait to see a tap root?
It can take up to 2 weeks... like the Beatles said let it be :) I put my new sees in a cup of h20 and as soon as it cracks open I move it to the paper towel. But the way your doing it is just fine. I germinated 4 recently and 1 took like 4 or 5 days to open. Other opened at 36 hours... So again just give em time :)

Hope this helped

-dabber

Thinking about starting to flush my plants this week but not too sure. The hairs on my plant have starting turning a brownish/red color. About 10-15% have changed. I've been in flowering for about 8 weeks now. Does that sound like a good time to start flushing? Here's what she looks like.

420-magazine-mobile845714780.jpg

420-magazine-mobile84411420.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1941023887.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1452057106.jpg
Yes a loupe is best for viewing trichromes. Harvest depends on desired effect. To avoid couch lock you want to harvest when trics are milky looking. Once they begin to turn amber they will have a stronger sedative effect. Hope this helps some!

-dabber

So what your saying is I need to find out what x amount is. Lol. I've been looking. There's so much different info out on the internet that it's hard to know what amount is right. That's why I figured I'd come to a forum of people that have experience with growing.
I'm pretty sure I've read here before that the more ambers u have ( so the longer u let the trichs change from cloudy clear to amber) the more couch lock effects you will get from the smoke but someone else will give 100% accurate info shortly on that.

It can take up to 2 weeks... like the Beatles said let it be :) I put my new sees in a cup of h20 and as soon as it cracks open I move it to the paper towel. But the way your doing it is just fine. I germinated 4 recently and 1 took like 4 or 5 days to open. Other opened at 36 hours... So again just give em time :)

Hope this helped

-dabber
It's not a fun waiting game.

Yes a loupe is best for viewing trichromes. Harvest depends on desired effect. To avoid couch lock you want to harvest when trics are milky looking. Once they begin to turn amber they will have a stronger sedative effect. Hope this helps some!

-dabber

Yeah I definitely want to harvest when they are milky. I'm trying to avoid couch lock for sure. Is there any advice that you can give me as to when to start flushing? I don't want to flush when they are milky because by the time I'm done they'll probably have turned amber on me. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Yeah I definitely want to harvest when they are milky. I'm trying to avoid couch lock for sure. Is there any advice that you can give me as to when to start flushing? I don't want to flush when they are milky because by the time I'm done they'll probably have turned amber on me. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
Certainly. If you only let a little over half of them get to the milky state you should be okay! Every strain is different however some mature a lot faster than others from what I understand. So I would adjust based on what you've been observing. Faster maturing less that 60% milky slower maturing more than 60%

someone may need to confirm the amount (%) of milky and opaque trics. I know I've read that when most are milky, the general consensus is it's time.... So if imagine if you want no amber / couch lock 60% to 75% milky is a good range. Also depends on the amount time you plan to flush.

Thinking about starting to flush my plants this week but not too sure. The hairs on my plant have starting turning a brownish/red color. About 10-15% have changed. I've been in flowering for about 8 weeks now. Does that sound like a good time to start flushing? Here's what she looks like.

420-magazine-mobile845714780.jpg

420-magazine-mobile84411420.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1941023887.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1452057106.jpg

hey what a nice single cola plant ... can i ask what strain that is ... i am guessing (uneducated) a diesel (to my knowledge most prone to grow as a single cola) ... ow i cant help but imagining 16 of these beauties in a sog setup .... yummie

btw they look like a 10 week strain indeed in terms of state and color of the pistils ... but again as many have said before me its the trichs that tell when to harvest ... hope for you in the next weeks she will fatten up impressively ;)

Certainly. If you only let a little over half of them get to the milky state you should be okay! Every strain is different however some mature a lot faster than others from what I understand. So I would adjust based on what you've been observing. Faster maturing less that 60% milky slower maturing more than 60%

someone may need to confirm the amount (%) of milky and opaque trics. I know I've read that when most are milky, the general consensus is it's time.... So if imagine if you want no amber / couch lock 60% to 75% milky is a good range. Also depends on the amount time you plan to flush.

Well from what I've been reading is I would want to flush for a couple of weeks to maximize yield and flavor of the bud while giving me a nice smooth hit. So I would say I'll be flushing for 2 weeks. So if I want to harvest at 60-75% milky do you think starting to flush when I'm around 50% milky is a safe bet? Or is that still too early?

hey what a nice single cola plant ... can i ask what strain that is ... i am guessing (uneducated) a diesel (to my knowledge most prone to grow as a single cola) ... ow i cant help but imagining 16 of these beauties in a sog setup .... yummie

btw they look like a 10 week strain indeed in terms of state and color of the pistils ... but again as many have said before me its the trichs that tell when to harvest ... hope for you in the next weeks she will fatten up impressively ;)

Thank you! She is a beauty! I'm pretty impressed with how my first grow has turned out so far. She has definitely been swelling up in the past week or so. I'm excited to see how much more she can swell up. The strain is a crossbreed. She has a mix of chronic, white widow and cheese genes. Here's a screenshot of the description.

420-magazine-mobile1127735421.jpg

And if it's a 10 week strain than I should only have a couple of weeks left. I'm at 8 1/2 weeks as of today. So I know I'll be getting close. I guess I'll really know once I get my microscope in the mail. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

Yes if you want to shoot for a mix of 75% milky and 25% clear trics I would suggest a flush at 50% maybe even a little sooner :)
Great job enjoy those colas!!!

Yes if you want to shoot for a mix of 75% milky and 25% clear trics I would suggest a flush at 50% maybe even a little sooner :)
Great job enjoy those colas!!!

Ok great. Now if I shoot for 75% milky, 25% clear would that lower my thc count? I know harvesting too early can lead to a less potent bud. Or is that a normal ratio to harvest on? And thanks! I'm going to enjoy the hell outta these colas. .

Ok great. Now if I shoot for 75% milky, 25% clear would that lower my thc count? I know harvesting too early can lead to a less potent bud. Or is that a normal ratio to harvest on? And thanks! I'm going to enjoy the hell outta these colas. .

yes ... clear trichomes are higher in CBG the precursor for THC meaning the CBG hasnt had time to fully transform in THC ... so the full potential isnt reached ... i would not harvest before 100% milky ... CBG is non psycho active btw ... if your aim is to avoid couchlock then your goal is to harvest as close as possible to 100% milky

some growers want the sedative effects of CBN wich is what THC degrades into and colors the trichomeheads amber ... so they aim for 30% or more ambers

its mainly what you prefer

Have a question forgive the stupidness. I have a flash babylon auto that began flower 13th of August and it flowers for 45 to 55 days. Should I allow it to run the full 55 days

Back
Top Bottom