Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

Thanks hth! That's what I thought too...

Hey apache. here's a chart that shows ideal Ph range for soil and hydro. As you can see lots get locked out when Ph drops too fasr in soil. Again not positive this is the problem but this is a great tool to always reference :)

420-magazine-mobile894660115.jpg

There is your answer. I would run 18 6 the whole way before 12 12.... never heard of starting autos 12 12..... they need light to grow. Light=energy=growth and it sounds like they need more energy to get bigger. Just my thought. I'm a photo guy but pretty sure others will agree to give at least 16 hours of light a day to an auto so it can grow as much as possoble. May do 24/7 light, 20.4 or 18 6. Haven't heard of anyone using less that 18 hours for autos and many never switch to 12 12. Hoppe this helps some. Best wishes.

-dabber

Appreciate the feed back. I ran the autos with 24/7 light first 5 wks then put em on the same 12/12 cycle as the DP about 2 wks ago.

Live an learn...guess I need to make sure all ladies get seeded at the same time if they are going to share a canopy.

Hey also apache if your water is going in at 6.5 as you can see your plants aren't getting the nutes. You want your Ph to fluctuate so your girls can absorb all they need. If you take a look at the chart I posted you'll notice that the cal mag you add wont do any good if the roots are unable to absorb it... so if your runoff swings down to 5.Whatever as the water goes through your medium the roots probably never have a chance to absorb P Ca or Mg.... hence the deficiency! Again I'm no soil vet and still considerr myself a beginner in many ways, however I do lots of research. I understand some people may not pay attention to Ph of runoff but I think in your case especially it's helpful because you know the medium will lower the Ph of your nute solution. Again you also seem to be overwatering imo. I'm not there to say for sure and you absolutely may not be depending on container size. But I personally would let the soil dry out. Cal mag your RO water to 100 ppm add 1/4 nutes and most importantly after you mix Ph to 6.8 maybe even 7. If the soil is pulling your Ph down that fast I would think you would want to compensate and let your roots absorb some of those nutes they have been missing, or yes they may not make it. I know microbes buffer Ph in Soil, but in your case I think they need the extra Ph help. Hope they perk up soon! Remember they're weeds;) I think youll be just fine if you can get them back on track best wishes

-dabber

Being Sativa or Sativa dominant you have to consider that they can get A LOT of vegetative growth in "flower" stage, some Sativa strains do so much of their growth in flower stage that you only need to veg them for a week or 2(to the point their only 12" tall) because they'll more than triple their size during flower

Thanks hth! That's what I thought too...

Hey apache. here's a chart that shows ideal Ph range for soil and hydro. As you can see lots get locked out when Ph drops too fasr in soil. Again not positive this is the problem but this is a great tool to always reference :)

420-magazine-mobile894660115.jpg

I don't believe that chart it's bull there are other ones that are more accurate

Being Sativa or Sativa dominant you have to consider that they can get A LOT of vegetative growth in "flower" stage, some Sativa strains do so much of their growth in flower stage that you only need to veg them for a week or 2(to the point their only 12" tall) because they'll more than triple their size during flower

I gained over 2 feet on my last sativa grow that was just the final stretch

I am getting a 4" fan and carbon filter combo off amazon for my 2x2x4 grow tent. My temp has been around 70 degrees but the humidity around 70% with the side flaps open. I have a fan in the tent and a pc 120mm fan exhaust for now until I get the fan/filter. My question is, do I need an intake fan? or will the pc fan work for now?? thanks, first time grower here.

I NEED SOME OPINIONS PLESSE
I have 2 plants that I thought were in week 6 of flowering. ( Tough to tell exact date because I am growing outdoor). I first noticed pistils on 8/10. The top main colas have some amber trichomes. Pictures included.
420-magazine-mobile451569974.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1767226813.jpg
420-magazine-mobile192640635.jpg

Here is my question. Should I cut down just the colas in a few days and then let the rest try to catch up?
We are about to get 2 straight days of rain. Should I cut down everything on that plant asap?!!?? Or just let it rain down for the next couple of days and let nature give me a flush and cut down on Sunday?
Please give me some opinions.
Thanks

I have 2 plants that I thought were in week 6 of flowering. ( Tough to tell exact date because I am growing outdoor). I first noticed pistils on 8/10. The top main colas have some amber trichomes. Pictures included.

Here is my question. Should I cut down just the colas in a few days and then let the rest try to catch up?
We are about to get 2 straight days of rain. Should I cut down everything on that plant asap?!!?? Or just let it rain down for the next couple of days and let nature give me a flush and cut down on Sunday?
Thanks

You can do any of those.
I have cut the tops or side branches of a plant because it was finished earlier then some lower bud sites.
The rain won't hurt your plant unless it's really pouring to the point where it can snap branches.
If you're hesitant about the rain, go ahead and cut what you want and let the rest go.
I personally would leave everything as is and re-evaluate after the rain.
Happy growing.

Thanks

Plant looks amazing btw

Hey also apache if your water is going in at 6.5 as you can see your plants aren't getting the nutes. You want your Ph to fluctuate so your girls can absorb all they need. If you take a look at the chart I posted you'll notice that the cal mag you add wont do any good if the roots are unable to absorb it... so if your runoff swings down to 5.Whatever as the water goes through your medium the roots probably never have a chance to absorb P Ca or Mg.... hence the deficiency! Again I'm no soil vet and still considerr myself a beginner in many ways, however I do lots of research. I understand some people may not pay attention to Ph of runoff but I think in your case especially it's helpful because you know the medium will lower the Ph of your nute solution. Again you also seem to be overwatering imo. I'm not there to say for sure and you absolutely may not be depending on container size. But I personally would let the soil dry out. Cal mag your RO water to 100 ppm add 1/4 nutes and most importantly after you mix Ph to 6.8 maybe even 7. If the soil is pulling your Ph down that fast I would think you would want to compensate and let your roots absorb some of those nutes they have been missing, or yes they may not make it. I know microbes buffer Ph in Soil, but in your case I think they need the extra Ph help. Hope they perk up soon! Remember they're weeds;) I think youll be just fine if you can get them back on track best wishes

-dabber

Thanks for the response and advice. The containers are way too small for this many days in veg but there are 4 in a 2x4x6.5 feet which is why they need to be watered so much I think. I do the lift the pot method and they get really light in that time. I water until there is moderate runoff and I do it slowly to be sure it gets absorbed. I just don't get why the PH is so low coming out of the plant but I will keep on trying to get it nailed down. I am pretty sure they have not been over watered as I went through that with the first grow and let them get droopy and light before watering them. I will try going 7.0 PH for a bit and keep checking the runoff to see if I can get it up to where the nutes are being absorbed. Thanks so much for the help dabber. I will see how the Liberty Haze is doing after her flush and if it looks like it's going in the right direction I'll try a flush with the other 3 babies.

Good stuff. Yeah from the stuff I read on soil pretty sure you always want your nute water bwtween 6 and 7. I didn't know your pots were so small.... probably time to up pot that could also be what's throwing a wrench in things....

In fact now that inthink of it when my snap peas got root bound I had those exact same effects

Plant looks amazing btw

Thank you for your advice. I just needed to be reassured I guess. This is my first grow outside and this weather in Massachusetts can be stressful to say the least!
Also because of the confusion exactly when flowering started outside, I thought I was a week behind from where I really am. I wanted to hit her with some overdrive for another week plus a flush.
Let me ask you another questions when you cut down some branches or tops that were done. Did you go back to using nutes for one more final push to hopefully swell up the remaining buds??
By the way these plants are El Fuego from DNA Genetics.
Thanks again.
Cheers

Yes ppm will likely be very near 0. That's where cal mag comes in handy. However because of the alkaline nature of cal mag there will likely be 2 to 4% nitrogen as well to correct the Ph. Just be mindful. My cal mag runs 4.0.0 so I go very light on my part a nutrient, and with seedlings omit part a altogether. hope this helps and grow get um bud!
Okay thank u

We're having about a10 day heart spell I'm having trouble keeping my tent under 86 for several hours a day. I have a little cool air blowing on them I have 2 fans in my tent running a 300watt led light. My humidity is running between 55 and 70.

I just starting using flora nova grow and bloom nutes... does any one else use these nutes...if so how often do u feed? And how much ppms should be in tbhe water?

Good stuff. Yeah from the stuff I read on soil pretty sure you always want your nute water bwtween 6 and 7. I didn't know your pots were so small.... probably time to up pot that could also be what's throwing a wrench in things....

In fact now that inthink of it when my snap peas got root bound I had those exact same effects

I have been trying in my own uneducated way to slow down their growth a little bit as I wait for the flower tent to clear out and I pulled one today to check the roots and they looked healthy but definitely root bound. The roots went all the way around the bottom of the pot but looked healthy. I transplanted that one into my flower tent after upping the pot size and gently separating the roots so I think it should take off. When I did the same to it's sister she took off and is now sporting a ton of bud sites covered in pistols after only 2 weeks. I might have to make the difficult decision to take one or two out of the veg tent and either kill them or try putting them outside in the woods on my property to see if they can do anything outside. At least then I could put the remaining two in 5 gallon pots and let them veg the right way. I ended up flushing all the babies tonight with just ph'ed water and I will see how they react. I tweaked each plants flush by checking the runoff and either just going with 6.5 or 7 PH water or jacking it up to 9.5 to raise the root ph. The runoff on the one I went really high with the ph for got to 6.4 which seems good. The other ones I used the lower ph on had runoff around 5.8-6.0. At least they are giving me something to learn from . If it all was easy it wouldn't be as much fun. I am 100% disabled and only go out about once a week so having these to watch, care for and learn from really has been good for me. I just need to get some buds harvested and cured to help with the pain that messing around with growing them causes.

Thank you for your advice. I just needed to be reassured I guess. This is my first grow outside and this weather in Massachusetts can be stressful to say the least!
Also because of the confusion exactly when flowering started outside, I thought I was a week behind from where I really am. I wanted to hit her with some overdrive for another week plus a flush.
Let me ask you another questions when you cut down some branches or tops that were done. Did you go back to using nutes for one more final push to hopefully swell up the remaining buds??
By the way these plants are El Fuego from DNA Genetics.
Thanks again.
Cheers

No. I didn't. I just let her finish out. Adding more nutes now won't do much for you other than make it harder to flush.

Hi all - starting to prep for outdoor grow (it's spring where I am) and having discussions with the gardening partner about soil Ph.

I'd like confirmation that if making one's own organic soil blend (not LOS) just a standard good enough soil, a ph of 6.5 is desired - is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom