Barney's Farm Organic Soil Grow

Re: SouthernWeed's Third Barney's Farm Organic Soil Grow

Very nice. I don't think mine were that frosty until week 5 or 6. Very nice grow.

Thanks Brother. The indica dominant pheno is a serious trich producer. It'll look like it's been rolled in sugar when it's done. The sativa dominant pheno produces an awsome coverage of trichs as well, just not as visible as the indica dominant, mostly, I believe, due to the color difference of the plants.

Southern You have those girls so dialed in it's crazy. I hear ya about the time.:good job:

Thanks OMM, they are doing very well and I'm pretty comfortable with the plan I have in place for the remainder of flower. It's really amazing to see the difference in the plants the second time around.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flower Day 21

I didn't want to do it. Worried about it and thought it over for a week. Then, last night, just before lights out, I did it. Tied off Lucy Sky. She's pushing 7' tall, and is becoming a light hog, but if I didn't get those tops under some HID lighting, I was going to lose alot of yield off her twin tops. I run my lights, right now, from 7am to 7pm...and in less than 1/2 hour of light time, the tops are already visibly realigning themselves with the light...guess they were starving for light.

Also, made an order with my new supplier...Paul and I are on the outs right now...seems I complained to the right people about him not having the H&G stuff out on his shelves like he was supposed to, and he put 2 and 2 together...the photo of the complete nutrient line and my new suppliers shirt sent by e-mail, seemed to be enough for him to figure it all out. I really hate to see us end like this, he's helped me alot and given me quite alot of leeway in what I pay...or even if I pay in certain circumstances...but things do change and my new guy has totally redefined customer service. Anyone that follows my grows knows that I don't pimp anyone or their products, but if you want great prices and unbelievable service, hit me with a PM and I'll point you in the right direction. But I digress.

Ordered a 600w digital ballast, reflector and two new bulbs...It'd make you shit if you knew what I paid...I could have gotten a comparable ballast for roughly the same price...but no reflector or bulbs, and will be converting my small little space into a 1200w factory for 2-3 plants at a time. Heat issues are not a problem for this grow or the next...but by the third, I'll have to sort some things out as we get into the hell-hot southern summer.

So everything is rolling right down the middle today. Can't complain about a thing.

Thanks to all of you following this and offering up encouraging words...it makes it more fun.

Y'all have a great day.

Same thing I did right after those pics were taken...full strength Indonesian Bat guano tea. I hit the soil with a hammering dose of dry guano as an amendment about two weeks ago and it's provided the slower, continual feed to keep up with their appetites, but when I detect any pink at all, I hit them with a high P blast of tea...problem solved.

Cool, thanks.

Now, if the problem had not been caught early and was more severe, with lots of red stems, would you flush before giving them a high P feeding?

Just trying to pick your brain a little here because I've had the above scenario.

Do you think some strains may normally have reddish stems and petioles, or is that *always* a negative sign?

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to growing that VK. Yours are looking outstanding, and no one hopes that keeps up more than me, and Pit's stuff looked awsome, chrystal colored and even a bit of purple in it.

Well, like I mentioned in my journal, I'm glad you're watching ;).

Pit's VK buds are drool-producing ;). I hope mine turn out something like that.

thanks brother!

Now, if the problem had not been caught early and was more severe, with lots of red stems, would you flush before giving them a high P feeding?

Just trying to pick your brain a little here because I've had the above scenario.

Do you think some strains may normally have reddish stems and petioles, or is that *always* a negative sign?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I would not flush. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is I'm precisely measuring everything that goes into the soil. A flush would not only dilute what was going in, but, paradoxically, likely would result in some amount of burn. Guano teas are instant feed, leaving very little in the soil after just a few hours. I determined this by taking P readings on the soil at 1 hr intervals, and found that by hour 6, no traces of elevated P readings remain.

However, if the deficiency was severe, as you describe, I would amend the soil first with dry guano and watering lightly for 2-3 days before hitting them with the tea.

Two words I don't use...always and never. There are strains that just seem to have red stems and petioles so no, it's not always a problem. However, P deficiencies have additional symptoms and when any or all of them are present, I go running for my bag o' poop.

Yep, I try to avoid "always" and "never" also. It was a slip-up and I should have phrased the question differently, but your answer was comprehensive and what I needed to know.

Thanks bro, I appreciate the help.

One more question on flushing.

Assuming things are going well, do you do any thorough flushes during the course of the grow in addition to the flush before harvest?

Yep, I try to avoid "always" and "never" also. It was a slip-up and I should have phrased the question differently, but your answer was comprehensive and what I needed to know.

Thanks bro, I appreciate the help.

One more question on flushing.

Assuming things are going well, do you do any thorough flushes during the course of the grow in addition to the flush before harvest?

I do "mini-flushes", using the volume of the planter...i.e. 3 gallons of water for a three gallon planter, whenever I see the soil PH starting to drop, this is usually, but not always, accompanied by a lime treatment as well. It really helps with maintaining a steady soil PH.

Now once my trichs are getting close, I flush the daylights out of them twice and let them dry completely in between.

Anytime I can help, just let me know...glad to do it.

I do "mini-flushes", using the volume of the planter...i.e. 3 gallons of water for a three gallon planter, whenever I see the soil PH starting to drop. It really helps with maintaining a steady soil PH.

I grow in coco and it is the same for me! I use Clearex in the water and the plants love it! :popcorn: :peace:

Hey Southern, any advice on the possibility of using a liquid, two-part Grow formula in a soil setup? I don't have the time I thought for a full on hydro grow right now. Plus wanted to grow out stable mothers for a clone supply. Anyway, just being thrifty and wondered if I could get a ratio going for a soil mix (D.M. Advance A+B). Might start my new journal in a few days. Got White Widow, Lowryder #2, and Purple at 2 weeks old now. Just started the Blueberry, Lockstock, Power Kush, and Midnite Kush. They should begin life as seedlings by Monday.

I do "mini-flushes", using the volume of the planter...i.e. 3 gallons of water for a three gallon planter, whenever I see the soil PH starting to drop, this is usually, but not always, accompanied by a lime treatment as well. It really helps with maintaining a steady soil PH.

Now once my trichs are getting close, I flush the daylights out of them twice and let them dry completely in between.

Anytime I can help, just let me know...glad to do it.

Again, very helpful info, thanks brother.

That's pretty close to my routine, except I just do one thorough flush 1 week before harvest and then just let them dry out.

I'm going to try using Clearex on this grow since I've heard good things about it.

take care SW ;)

Hey Southern, any advice on the possibility of using a liquid, two-part Grow formula in a soil setup? I don't have the time I thought for a full on hydro grow right now. Plus wanted to grow out stable mothers for a clone supply. Anyway, just being thrifty and wondered if I could get a ratio going for a soil mix (D.M. Advance A+B). Might start my new journal in a few days. Got White Widow, Lowryder #2, and Purple at 2 weeks old now. Just started the Blueberry, Lockstock, Power Kush, and Midnite Kush. They should begin life as seedlings by Monday.

With DM, I'd be scared to say. I've heard, but not saw, of people using the line in coco, but never an actual soil grow. Check their website for a little more solid info.

Again, very helpful info, thanks brother.

That's pretty close to my routine, except I just do one thorough flush 1 week before harvest and then just let them dry out.

I'm going to try using Clearex on this grow since I've heard good things about it.

take care SW ;)

Clearex is some good stuff. I've used it a couple times and was quite pleased.

Flower Day 23

Well alot changed in a day. FedEx dropped off my ballast/light/reflector about 10am yesterday. Since I didn't have to kill the other light, I went ahead and hung my new light rail (non moving) which raised my lights up almost two feet. This allowed me to untie Lucy Sky, releasing her to do her thing in a more normal posture. I was seriously worried about the health and productivity of her in her bound up position.

At any rate, I now have 1200 watts of light hitting the girls. The temp actually held reasonably steady...raising only about 1.5 degrees. Of course, I did change out my exhaust fan to handle roughly twice the air exchange of the old one.

Other than the equipment update, there's not alot else to say. Diamonds is a beast...she's going to top 5 ounces dry easily. Lucy Sky is being a very typical sativa...flowering well...but slow. She'll be a couple of weeks behind Diamonds I believe.

Took some pics just before lights on...

100_1916_00.jpg

In the background is the sole casulty of the light change. I was trying to perform a maneuver that really required a third arm, and let the light get to close to the plant...really done a job on those leaves...we'll see if there is any significant damage in a few days.

100_1919_00.jpg

100_1920_00.jpg

100_19291.jpg

100_1930.jpg

100_1931.jpg

100_19321.jpg

100_1933.jpg

100_1934.jpg

100_1935.jpg

Hope y'all enjoy the show...we're getting down to the really fun part.

Y'all have a great day.

Awesome update. Looking great. As usual, its almost more interesting to see what will happen with the small probs (like the burned leaves) than it is to see the healthy ones. I know that extra light will do nothing but nice things - grats on the new acquisition. Nice move on upgrading the fan, I believe many here would not have paid such attention to detail. One little word of caution - when I added fans - it lowered my humidity much more than I thought it would.

Awesome update. Looking great. As usual, its almost more interesting to see what will happen with the small probs (like the burned leaves) than it is to see the healthy ones. I know that extra light will do nothing but nice things - grats on the new acquisition. Nice move on upgrading the fan, I believe many here would not have paid such attention to detail. One little word of caution - when I added fans - it lowered my humidity much more than I thought it would.

Thanks for the kind words Brother. I actually hope it drops the RH around 5% or so, it was getting a little more humid than I like (still in range...just right at the top) and I think I'd set down and weep like a baby if I got a case of budrot/mold.

I really felt stupid cooking those leaves like I did...should have waited until my wife got home and it never would have happened...lesson here is never get in a rush to do something, it'll just bite you in the ass.

Thanks for the kind words Brother. I actually hope it drops the RH around 5% or so, it was getting a little more humid than I like (still in range...just right at the top) and I think I'd set down and weep like a baby if I got a case of budrot/mold.

I really felt stupid cooking those leaves like I did...should have waited until my wife got home and it never would have happened...lesson here is never get in a rush to do something, it'll just bite you in the ass.

Man I can't tell you how I relate to the need for a third arm. Last week when I was doing the plumbing - all I needed was someone to hold a pair of pliers above the table while I went underneath - took me 3 days to get a friend that I trust over here. But I tried every kind of clamp I had in the house before resigning myself to the wait. Wasted hours and a few scraped knuckles.

I did check the DM site...they have ratios listed for soil-LESS but not soil. E-mailed but no response in a week. Anyway, I can go get more fert...just 3 hours each way to a grow store. Gotta do something quick though...veg growth starts in a week or two and they'll need to be fed.

Oh Whiskey....I used boat-type thru hull fittings on my table construction. Look up my photo albums in the member pics for an example. (Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Southern....just found an easier way for ya'll to drain tables using 1-2 hands, lol).

Man I can't tell you how I relate to the need for a third arm. Last week when I was doing the plumbing - all I needed was someone to hold a pair of pliers above the table while I went underneath - took me 3 days to get a friend that I trust over here. But I tried every kind of clamp I had in the house before resigning myself to the wait. Wasted hours and a few scraped knuckles.

Another evolutionary failure...lol.

I did check the DM site...they have ratios listed for soil-LESS but not soil. E-mailed but no response in a week. Anyway, I can go get more fert...just 3 hours each way to a grow store. Gotta do something quick though...veg growth starts in a week or two and they'll need to be fed.

Brother, I'm not sure that the DM line is soil suitable. Having said that, I think I remember hearing Pan4Gold49...God I miss him...talk about using the coco regime on a soil mother plant. Perhaps you could contact DM directly to get an answer to that.

Flower Day 24

Both plants continue to chug along. I removed the crispy top last night...it was obviously done for...and since there was no sense in wasting it, and it was really, really dry...we smoked it. Very suprising result. Got me and the wife high as hell on three hits each. Not bad for a "bud" that was only 23 days old, with all the surface trichomes roasted off. Gives me something to look forward to.

I have started noticing a slight cal/mag issue...most likely a reaction to the heavy lime treatment a couple weeks or so ago. I've decided to mini-flush both plants today, and will watch closely for a couple of days before I hop off the guano only train, and hit them with some cal/mag.

Other than that one minor thing, everything is going very well. Diamonds is swelling her thick on an hourly basis...and we are nowhere near her optimal daily growth...couple weeks out from that. Lucy Sky has resumed her bud developement, which had dramtically slowed down due to the lack of direct light...cfls are ok, but not when they've gotten used to HID.

To All 420Magazine.com Members

Guys and girls, 420magazine.com needs your help. We are a staff of voluteers, doing what we do for the love of the site and appreciation of the importance of our mission.

Unfortunately, we are having some difficulty getting, and keeping, qualified people to help. This is a critical time as we prepare to go back to print. We all have the ability to pitch in, whether as a titled staff member or as a regular member who takes it upon themselves to keep an eye on things...reporting posts, welcoming new people (which I notice a good number of people already do), or if you are qualified, helping out new growers with their efforts. It would boggle your mind how many posts are made every day...every one of which must be proofread for content. It take hours every day to handle that one task. And proofreading posts is just one of many tasks that need to be performed daily.

Anyone interested in helping in an official or unofficial capacity, should contact Soniq420...soon. Soniq and 420 (and all the other mods/admins for that matter) are literally drowning under the volume of work required. If you have the time and inclination to give something back it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks y'all...and have a great day.

Well, boys and girls, Dutch Master has my biz from here on...they not only got back to me on an inquiry, they corresponded for quite some time yesterday. Alleviating all my concerns with a steady flow of advvice/suggestions. Also, DM products CAN be used for soil grows if properly diluted...ie: 3-4 mL of each (Advance A+B) per gallon for seedlings and 7-8mL each per gallon for veg growth. Almost all my seeds planted are now seedlings and the time for a new journal is almost upon us. Thinking about a rolling journal on soil based mother stability and then trickling into a hydro drip/return system when the clones are capable.

Well, boys and girls, Dutch Master has my biz from here on...they not only got back to me on an inquiry, they corresponded for quite some time yesterday. Alleviating all my concerns with a steady flow of advvice/suggestions. Also, DM products CAN be used for soil grows if properly diluted...ie: 3-4 mL of each (Advance A+B) per gallon for seedlings and 7-8mL each per gallon for veg growth. Almost all my seeds planted are now seedlings and the time for a new journal is almost upon us. Thinking about a rolling journal on soil based mother stability and then trickling into a hydro drip/return system when the clones are capable.

Glad they got you straightened out.

Flower Day 25

So we're now a little more than 1/3 of the way there...at least for Diamonds. As I mentioned a couple of times before, I believe Lucy Sky will need a couple weeks longer. At this point I'm thinking that the day I chop Diamonds, I'm going to start my Violator Kush in Root Riot plugs, ala PitViper, and have them ready to go the minute I chop LS.

I spent a good portion of yesterday flushing both plants. I went beyond the "mini-flush" all the way to regular flush. Here's my analysis of the problem, but any ideas are welcome. The heavy...and I mean heavy...lime treatment over calcified the soil, resulting in a Mag lockout. I believe everything will be fine...as the pictures will show, but there is a lesson here. Lime breaks down into calcium in soil. To much cal, and mag problems will arise. Mag problems can be devastating to a grow, but it's easy to head off if you realize what's going on. So we've got this little problem under control.

How about some pics...

100_1939.jpg

100_19402.jpg

100_1941.jpg

100_19421.jpg

100_1943.jpg

100_19442.jpg

100_19451.jpg

100_19461.jpg

100_19472.jpg

100_1948.jpg

Tell me what y'all think.