Barney's Farm Organic Soil Grow

Re: SouthernWeed's Third Barney's Farm Organic Soil Grow

SouthernWeed how do you do it? Guano tea for the first weeks of flowering? The whole thing a homebrewed organic mixture? Mature plants with willing genetics? I am awed by your day 25 success this flowering.

Flower Day 25

snip...

Tell me what y'all think.

Have a great day all.

I think those plants look awful. Terrible. So bad I will have to come get them and make sure you're not troubled any more.

Seriously though - I'm trully impressed by the girth. Not only do you have great crystals, but they are so nice and thick. Gonna look back through now and see how long and for what you did for veg. Extremely nice haul awaiting you from these.

Last question - how much of the yellow in the leaves is lights/camera? I know that's a tough one to answer.

The leaf tips curling up is what indicates possible mag problem?

Let's see, what else am I thinking?

Oh yeah, that I wish I could visit about two weeks after chop ;).

Actually, the upturned/downturned leaves were a result of having the plants in contact with the mylar sheeting in the front and back after I rotated the plants around. I'll get some better pics later today to show what a Mag problem in soil looks like. Lights are still out right now.

Anytime you want to show up knocking on my door is fine with me Brother...we'll get a southern fried stone going on.

SouthernWeed how do you do it? Guano tea for the first weeks of flowering? The whole thing a homebrewed organic mixture? Mature plants with willing genetics? I am awed by your day 25 success this flowering.

Thanks Brother. With the exception of Nitrozyme, a seaweed extract in liquid form, all that has been used for this whole grow has been guano teas. It is a labor intensive approach to growing, but the results are outstanding...mag problem notwithstanding.

I think those plants look awful. Terrible. So bad I will have to come get them and make sure you're not troubled any more.

Seriously though - I'm trully impressed by the girth. Not only do you have great crystals, but they are so nice and thick. Gonna look back through now and see how long and for what you did for veg. Extremely nice haul awaiting you from these.

Last question - how much of the yellow in the leaves is lights/camera? I know that's a tough one to answer.

So glad you're willing to make the sacrifice and take these girls off my hands...lmao. With respect to the pictures, the lighting/camera definately gave the plants a yellow look that is not there in normal light. However, there are some yellowing leaves now towards the bottom. I have no real data to back this up, just what the plants have done to this point, but it seems that they are maturing at a faster than normal rate, so I'm not worrying about them. I am worried about some of the higher leaves...especially on Diamonds... that are showing the very early signs of dieing off. My soil PH is dead on now, the feed schedule is unchanged over the last couple weeks, the buds are swelling fast and are already pretty damn hard, so I'm going to watch closely for a couple more days before I get to worried.

sorry if asked but what starter soil do you use?

I use my own personal starter mix, but many fine blends are commercially available at any garden shop.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to get some pics up later today.

Hey Southern.....what's the deal in the fourth pic down? Dead center on the bottom 1/4 of the pic is a leaf set that looks like it's holding a pair of balls that fell from under ya girl's skirt. Actually too big for pollen sacs but still looks odd. Just wanted to let you check it out....heartache comes swifty at times and I just try to "proofread" for folks when I can...lol.

Hey Southern.....what's the deal in the fourth pic down? Dead center on the bottom 1/4 of the pic is a leaf set that looks like it's holding a pair of balls that fell from under ya girl's skirt. Actually too big for pollen sacs but still looks odd. Just wanted to let you check it out....heartache comes swifty at times and I just try to "proofread" for folks when I can...lol.

So I'm posting those pics to my gallery for upload, and I see nanners. Of course I panic and streak back to the growroom to investigate a tranny on the loose. I literally had sweaty palms and hate in my heart, for all things Hermie. However, my (our) fears were put to rest, it was just a couple small, young feeder leaves that had decided to grow a little funny. I decided to post that pic just to see if anyone would catch it...and we have a winner...Janx, +rep for seeing something that didn't look right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flower Day 27

Were it not for the size of the buds, the speed of their swell or the overwhelming smell, I'd be worried about these plants alot more. The pics this AM are all of Diamonds. Lucy Sky isn't showing the leaf stress like Diamonds. I spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon researching this strain, trying to find anything I missed, and I did find a couple of references to a super fast finishing pheno of it.

I admit it, the need for information sent me prowling through every growers forum I know of. On two different forums, I found reference to a 45-50 day pheno of this particular strain. So now I'm left wondering if the calcium overdose was coincidental to the natural dieing off that occurs with all plants as they end their growing cycle.

The leaves look bad...like a severe cal/mag issue, but there are leaves that just look like they've done their part and are giving up the ghost. At any rate, the plant's bud development in no way seems to be slowing...quite the contrary...it's a noticeable difference every day in both size and smell.

The best piece of growing advice I ever got was from my mentor in the early days of my outdoor growing years. "Look you know it all jackass," he said "most of the time this job is about not doing something, the plants were here for millions of years before you showed up, and they'll be here after you're gone." He had a way with making me understand.

Anyhow, I'm working on the loose assumption that I'm working with one fast finishing version of this strain, and one long finishing strain. According to one little blurb I read, from a well known and respected breeder, variations like this in hybrids is not at all unusual...especially when you're breeding a hybrid to a pure landrace strain. I must admit that alot of what was being said was above me, but I think I held on to the gist of it.

So despite some gnarly looking leaves, I'm still quite optimistic that these two gals are going to pull through with flying colors...I just personally despise posting pics with ugly leaves...sort of like a supermodel modeling granny panties...there's just something wrong with it, a profound waste.

Pics of Diamonds...

100_1990.jpg

100_1991.jpg

100_1992.jpg

100_1993.jpg

100_1994.jpg

100_1996.jpg

Ugly leaves, pretty buds...much better than the other way around. I'm going to continue paying very close attention to them, of course, but I believe that there is some slight improvement in the leaves...not much, but enough to see...so I'm going to continue the feeding regime at the same levels. I have entertained the notion that staying at the plants upper feed limit, may have something to do with all this, but I'm not convinced. The planters are nearly dry after the big flush, the soil PH is solid at 6.5, so I don't see the need to flush again. I'll be giving the PH balanced water only for the next few days, then I'll lay the wood to 'em again.

Hope y'all all have a great day...I'm going to pack a volcano and get toasty first thing.

You tell me bro, but I have a theory about your plants:

I think you primed them and prepped them so well you stimulated a massive bloom. The plants are going to produce the best bud they can genetically muster, and they're using every spec of nutrition, wherever they can find it....hence your discolored leaves.

I've heard that Superthrive slows down flowering a bit....have you ever considered trying it for that? If it actually does that, it could allow your leaves to recover.

SW,
The last photos look a little like nute burn. Buds look incredible. When I see a brown leaf tip and discoloration around the edge it makes me think nute burn.

It's not, but I can see your line of thinking. I'm sure of the problem, and certain it's now under control...just not sure of the impact it's going to have on total yield. All the damage you see happened in less than 3 days, and between feeds. The fact that it's significantly worse on Diamonds, leads me to believe I missed a measurement on my lime or possibly left a hotspot of lime in the soil...not really sure. 600 watts more light may have played a role as well.

We'll keep a good eye on things for the next few days, but I think they'll be fine, despite some rough looking leaves.

You tell me bro, but I have a theory about your plants:

I think you primed them and prepped them so well you stimulated a massive bloom. The plants are going to produce the best bud they can genetically muster, and they're using every spec of nutrition, wherever they can find it....hence your discolored leaves.

It's an idea that briefly ran through my mind as well. Back aways, the plants' soil bottomed out the PH, dropping nearly a full point in less than 36 hours. I had never seen soil do that before, so I hammered them with lime. Truth be told, a mag problem caused by over calcified soil, should have shown itself much sooner, so the idea that the plant was doing so well that it opened the taps on it's nutritional reserves did go through my mind. However, if I promulgated the notion here that the plants were so healthy they were already eating themselves less than four weeks into flower, it would have seemed I was reaching for an excuse. It may be that they are doing just that, the bud production has sped up to a mind boggling rate, and there is the ever increasing odor as well as a very nice crystal coverage. Let's watch for a few days and see what happens. If they continue this rapid swell through Monday, then I'm not going to worry one more bit about them...I don't smoke fan leaves, and that's where the damage is.

It's an idea that briefly ran through my mind as well. Back aways, the plants' soil bottomed out the PH, dropping nearly a full point in less than 36 hours. I had never seen soil do that before, so I hammered them with lime. Truth be told, a mag problem caused by over calcified soil, should have shown itself much sooner, so the idea that the plant was doing so well that it opened the taps on it's nutritional reserves did go through my mind. However, if I promulgated the notion here that the plants were so healthy they were already eating themselves less than four weeks into flower, it would have seemed I was reaching for an excuse. It may be that they are doing just that, the bud production has sped up to a mind boggling rate, and there is the ever increasing odor as well as a very nice crystal coverage. Let's watch for a few days and see what happens. If they continue this rapid swell through Monday, then I'm not going to worry one more bit about them...I don't smoke fan leaves, and that's where the damage is.

Exactly. :smokin:

...I don't smoke fan leaves, and that's where the damage is.

Hi SouthernWeed - I'm growing a strain from Barney's Farm, also in soil, so I thought I'd check in and see what I might be in for. I Must Say! Those are some fabulous buds you have going there. The fan leaves do look sad, but am I seeing some trichomes on them? Might you consider harvesting the sad looking leaves before they completely dry out? Perhaps you could make some nice hash. Just a thought... ;)

Hi SouthernWeed - I'm growing a strain from Barney's Farm, also in soil, so I thought I'd check in and see what I might be in for. I Must Say! Those are some fabulous buds you have going there. The fan leaves do look sad, but am I seeing some trichomes on them? Might you consider harvesting the sad looking leaves before they completely dry out? Perhaps you could make some nice hash. Just a thought... ;)

Yes, there are trichs on the fan leaf stems, and I always keep all my trim for hash...read on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flower Day 28

Well I hadn't planned on posting any updated pics, and I'm only partially done removing the necrotic leaves, you'll see lots of leaves and parts of leaves yet to come off...a slow painstaking process. But I noticed the camera setting on the cabinet and decided, what the hell, y'all ought to see these buds. What made me decide that was looking through my scope at a small piece of trim and there were cloudy trichomes already...maybe 25%...at four weeks. Just for the record, I took a piece of trim off of Lucy Sky and there were nothing but clear trichomes, so it's certain there will be a significant difference in harvest time on these two.

Here's a few pics...

100_1997.jpg

100_1998.jpg

100_2004.jpg

100_2006.jpg

100_2008.jpg

100_2012.jpg

Anyhow, that's the short version update for today. I have some more leaves to remove, which should benefit the lower budsites. There is nothing wrong here at all...and if there is, I hope all my plants have an identical malady. The swell is intense and shows no sign of slowing down. Think I've got my hands on a quick finishing pheno and it's eating itself.

Y'all have a great day.

That's amazing. Not only lots of tris, but they're huge as well. I can't believe how you can see them even at normal zoom in the pics.

That's amazing. Not only lots of tris, but they're huge as well. I can't believe how you can see them even at normal zoom in the pics.

Yes, they are she is frosting up nicely. LS is not behind at all on trich production, she's just a different color and all her trichs are clear. I've noticed that, at least with my cam and picture taking skills, that the trichs aren't reall visable in photos until they start to turn a little.

Anyhow, on a nice road here...hope it continues.

Back
Top Bottom