Emmie's Recycled Organic Soil, Acapulco Gold, Retro Grow, 2016

ok... it is time to fess up. I have been dreading this update, so as to keep the myth going for just a little while longer that I actually knew what I was doing here.

I screwed up... at least a couple of times if not more, and there have been some casualties. One of them was one of our brave Acapulco Gold plants, and in addition to her, her original sister has not been well.

I am sure you are saying by now, noooooo! Not in Emmie's garden! Well yeah... I can be such an idiot sometimes, it really astounds me that I have learned how to do anything complicated. So, here is my story... and I am sticking with it.

I am new to this organic soil thing. Before this I used simple things... tried and true and trusted soils, nute mixes and schedules... basically, I didn't have to think for myself. I just did what everyone else did, and it worked. For this round, thinking I was really catching onto this thing, I purchased a good OMRI approved organic soil to use as my base, and since its organic, didn't give it a second thought about using it to start my seeds in. I have always had good luck starting seeds right in soil... until now.

Then, introduce the cute little 2 oz solo cup mini's that I thought would be great seed starters. Cute does not always mean good folks, I use myself as a prime example of that. The little cups seem to have amplified the organic goodness in my organic soil, and I suspect that a lot of the problems were caused by a way too hot soil, needing to be watered way too often.

DSCF53703.JPG
Please excuse the darkness... next shots will be brighter

DSCF53712.JPG

It has been a horrendous 15 days around here in the veg tent. As soon as the burning became apparent, and 3 high quality seeds had problems right from the start, I knew I had shot myself in the foot. Here in the Gold section of the tent, we see my first experiment to figure out what was going on. After our clipped cotyledon Gold died, I planted a new Gold seed in a regular sized solo cup, layered properly as I have done many times in the past with supersoil on the bottom, base soil in the middle and starter soil on the top. The seed sprouted in 3 days and quickly established itself. She is now working on her first set of leaves and has almost caught up to her sister, the lone survivor of the failed planting in organic soil experiment.

DSCF53734.JPG

Regarding the sick sister... As soon as I realized that she was struggling in the tiny cup, I transplanted her into a regular sized solo cup, still not thinking about the hotness of the soil. (it's organic, right?) So she got planted into supersoil in the bottom, and the same organic soil she was planted in. It was her who showed me the mistake was the soil. I almost thought I had lost her for about a week there, but I think she has started to grow again now.

DSCF53722.JPG

We will see. This has been a mess. I am embarrassed to have had to show you this, but if you can't say I am a great gardener, at least you can say I am honest. grrr.

I hope your week has gone better than mine. We are on the mend here now, and all is ok. Time for another Emmie adage:
There are always penalties for mistakes, either in quality, quantity or time-Emilya

That'd a hard way to learn, but that's what mistakes are for. Glad you shared with us this dreadful week in your garden. Is there a way to test soil before use, some sort of test? Or does really depend on the plant itself? I'm still looking forward to some Acapulco gold, and it will be so. Good luck with the new wave of seedlings.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

That'd a hard way to learn, but that's what mistakes are for. Glad you shared with us this dreadful week in your garden. Is there a way to test soil before use, some sort of test? Or does really depend on the plant itself? I'm still looking forward to some Acapulco gold, and it will be so. Good luck with the new wave of seedlings.
I am sure that there must be a way to test soil before use, maybe by planting a tomato in it or something to see how it does. I had always heard about hot soils causing problems, but I tend to try testing limits when I hear something like this... I have started seeds right in Miracle Grow and in FFOF, both said to be too hot to do this... and have never had a problem, until now. I guess I have never used a truly hot organic soil before... but as you said, thats what mistakes are for. Thanks for the good wishes; things are looking better and I think our sick AG is going to make it after all... her newer sister is sending out her second true leaves and is looking good... and there are 7 more seeds if I need them. I WILL have 2 AG plants in this next run!

Looking good Emmie, Your dad is going to love those AG's! If you have room here I will sit in for this grow.
I'm not doing soil, straight perlite hempy right now. I locked out my girls the other day so I'm feeling your pain when things don't go as planed. one day I will switch to organic! Something about having worms wiggling around the roots appeals to me.
Great save with the little ones! :peace:

Looking good Emmie, Your dad is going to love those AG's! If you have room here I will sit in for this grow.
I'm not doing soil, straight perlite hempy right now. I locked out my girls the other day so I'm feeling your pain when things don't go as planed. one day I will switch to organic! Something about having worms wiggling around the roots appeals to me.
Great save with the little ones! :peace:
Plenty of room right up here next to the lights hydro... I saved a spot just for you!

Thanks on the kind words on the save, but keep in mind that I did kill one in the process. I am looking forward to this one though, I have heard a lot of good things about Acapulco Gold.

As far as the worms go, I am getting there, but no worms in the containers at the moment. I did start up a worm farm though, and I figure now after this last week that there must be at least 150 of them in there... so soon I will be worm rich and will be putting them everywhere! For now, their castings will have to be all I can manage, and at the present moment my little farm isnt even capable of that much.

Today they got even happier, as I transplanted them into 3 quart containers. Both plants have been growing well until a few days ago, when I started seeing funny business happening in the lower fan leaves and I knew that the roots were starting to become a bit constricted.

Both plants have been transplanted into 9 month old super soil in the bottom third, and a 50/50 mix of this supersoil and an off the shelf organic soil from Lowes. The have also gotten DIY nutrient spikes as described by The Rev in his book. For the recipe of these spikes, please refer to my Sugar Black Rose journal where I just described it.

Our two Gold sisters have managed to be about the same height, one working on her 4th node, the other on her 5th. After the plants establish themselves in these new containers, I will be pinching the top node, and then will be doing a mini manifold to widen out the plant a bit for flower. I also plan later on to transplant each of these into 7 gallon containers... one with fresh soil, supersoil and spikes, the other into one of the presently flowering 7 gallon containers, after removing the core of the rootball from the last plant, using the no-till method. This will be a side by side test of no-till compared to full-till. Also, both plants will be getting fresh spikes upon going to their final containers, but that time will get a special spike mix for flowering plants.

DSCF5466.JPG

Hey Emilya those AG are looking real nice!
I have been also doing a fair bit of reading on The Rev. I have watched his videos online and going to be ordering his book very soon. I find myself reading every nutrient label now looking for all the things you don't want in plant fertilizer.
I am gearing up for a grow using this process. Well It won't be a try it will be a complete switch to organic, once you go organic why go back to synthetics.:cheesygrinsmiley:
The worm farm, I will be starting soon as I can get my hands on some red wigglers and then the game begins.
I will be watching this grow closely and taking notes! :thumb:

Hey Emilya those AG are looking real nice!
I have been also doing a fair bit of reading on The Rev. I have watched his videos online and going to be ordering his book very soon. I find myself reading every nutrient label now looking for all the things you don't want in plant fertilizer.
I am gearing up for a grow using this process. Well It won't be a try it will be a complete switch to organic, once you go organic why go back to synthetics.:cheesygrinsmiley:
The worm farm, I will be starting soon as I can get my hands on some red wigglers and then the game begins.
I will be watching this grow closely and taking notes! :thumb:

I have noticed an important point in these forums...
When someone goes organic, they never go back. Oftentimes, after they go organic, having figured it out, they disappear from the online world. Why take the risks or spend the time online, if you have things working that well?

Thankfully, there are still good ones out there who share the knowledge! The last board I was on had a guy who actually put in his signature line that synthetic growers didn't deserve to grow good pot... and he meant it, but he wasn't giving up any of his secrets either, just criticising everyone else. It is that kind of attitude that brought me here, where sanity rules and egos are held in check, and real knowledge is being passed back and forth. I have learned so much this year, just being here, and finally being brave enough to try the full on organic thing. It has been rough making the transition, and I have made many mistakes... but that is part of learning, and with every mistake I am that much closer to mastering this hobby.

I want to thank you too for reminding me about my new worm farm that I need to show off one of these days. I have learned a lot about our bisexual slimy friends the last few months too, and actually used my first FRESH (and very stinky) worm castings from my own little farm. So far, I have kept them alive and they seem to be multiplying, and I believe that they will really get going with things now that it is staying warmer overnight.

Regarding your own TLO soil... whatever recipe you are going to go with, start getting it put together asap... the longer it cooks, the better it becomes. I use two 20 gallon plastic trash bins for mine, and a kids wading pool to mix in.

I have noticed an important point in these forums...
When someone goes organic, they never go back. Oftentimes, after they go organic, having figured it out, they disappear from the online world. Why take the risks or spend the time online, if you have things working that well?

Thankfully, there are still good ones out there who share the knowledge! The last board I was on had a guy who actually put in his signature line that synthetic growers didn't deserve to grow good pot... and he meant it, but he wasn't giving up any of his secrets either, just criticising everyone else. It is that kind of attitude that brought me here, where sanity rules and egos are held in check, and real knowledge is being passed back and forth. I have learned so much this year, just being here, and finally being brave enough to try the full on organic thing. It has been rough making the transition, and I have made many mistakes... but that is part of learning, and with every mistake I am that much closer to mastering this hobby.

I want to thank you too for reminding me about my new worm farm that I need to show off one of these days. I have learned a lot about our bisexual slimy friends the last few months too, and actually used my first FRESH (and very stinky) worm castings from my own little farm. So far, I have kept them alive and they seem to be multiplying, and I believe that they will really get going with things now that it is staying warmer overnight.

Regarding your own TLO soil... whatever recipe you are going to go with, start getting it put together asap... the longer it cooks, the better it becomes. I use two 20 gallon plastic trash bins for mine, and a kids wading pool to mix in.

Thanks for the tip on longer the cooking the better it will be!!
Haha no, I won't learn organic and then leave. Synthetic does work and if flushed properly still can and is some of the best smoke around.
This a great place to come talk, learn and share experiences. I can't do this with people around home.
I'm doing perlite hempy buckets right now, My flower room is full until the end of May middle of June so I have a bit of time to get things cooking and things sorted.

Here are our two golds a few days after their pinching of the top growth node. As you can see, they were not slowed down at all, and side and bottom growth has been accelerated. These are some strong plants!

gold1.JPG

Here, just for comparison purposes, is the rest of the veg tent. The two new ones in the front are my own cross... Green Crack x AK-47... we will see if one of them is even female before we get excited.
vegfarm.JPG

Our two gold sisters are chugging right along and getting healthier by the day. They have been pinched at the 5th node and then LST'd with a stunning gold pipe cleaner to spread them out before flower. We are one month away, and the plan is to soon move them to 7 gallon containers, one an already used smartpot with the remains of the last rootball still there... the second to a fresh container of supersoil and base soil mix. This should be an interesting side by side test of no-till.

DSCF5546.JPG

I like the way you utilize the pipe cleaners, plus the "no-till" mentioned will be interesting.
I have often thought about my Apaculco Gold days, so after reading your thread, I popped a couple myself.......should be fun....:rollit:

Back
Top Bottom