BeezLuiz & Liquidintel's Outdoor Grow 2018

Cookies mostly survived a caterpillar invasion - I think we plucked off close to 100 in the past 3 weeks. However, there is still some damage and lots of poop to be cleaned out. Also I saw just a hint of possible mold/bud rot.
Cookies Caterpillar Damage a.jpg
Cookies Bud Rot a.jpg

Because of this I decided to try the bud washing method that @Doc Bud recommended. I was amazed at how much crap (figurative and literal) came off the buds. The water was filthy! I'm glad I tried it, but now I'm hesitant to smoke all my other harvests that didn't get washed :oops:. I'm curious to try these buds once they are dried and cured, but at least I know that they are now much cleaner.

Hard to tell, but if that's bud rot, it usually has a distinctive moldy smell.

Living in a land of rainy falls, I tried bud washing but after doing so for a sizable harvest, I found that the wash water had hardly anything in it. Tried it a second season, same results. But I think it's obviously a peculiarity of my climate.
So I never wash buds anymore...when folks ask if I bud wash, I tell 'em, "Nope, rain does it for me."

Most of what washes off are dust particulates that I seriously doubt are much a hazard, UNLESS one lives anywhere near significant diesel traffic--it puts out really nasty particulates. If I lived near such traffic, I'd sextuple wash it...

The mold that I had circled in the photo was so small you can not see it with the naked eye (nor smell it with the naked nose?) It may have been from a spider or caterpillar, but hard to say.

From May through September we got zero rain here, so the plants were a bit dusty and since we live in an urban area with lots of cars and some smoggy days, I'm sure the plant benefited from the wash. Not only did the water in the first couple buckets turn brown, but I could see all the caterpillar poop in the bottoms of all the buckets, including the rinse. Close inspection of the buds after wash confirmed the elimination of the poop. :yahoo:

The mold that I had circled in the photo was so small you can not see it with the naked eye (nor smell it with the naked nose?) It may have been from a spider or caterpillar, but hard to say.

From May through September we got zero rain here, so the plants were a bit dusty and since we live in an urban area with lots of cars and some smoggy days, I'm sure the plant benefited from the wash. Not only did the water in the first couple buckets turn brown, but I could see all the caterpillar poop in the bottoms of all the buckets, including the rinse. Close inspection of the buds after wash confirmed the elimination of the poop. :yahoo:

No question that in your situation, I'd bud wash.

But in mine: I had to take down a coupla plants early after about 48 hrs of unceasing rain including a 2hr stretch that dumped about an inch...pretty sure they'd been washed.

More importantly: fantastic work!

And then there was one...

Sour D is ready for the chop now, but I've got some maneuvering to do first. I've got Blackberry Fire, Dream Queen and Cookies in cure jars -- a lot of cure jars! At this point I don't have enough cure jars and Bodeva packets for Sour Diesel. Blackberry Fire is pretty much at 4 weeks cure so I'm going to move all of it to vacuum sealed bags. Hopefully that will free up enough jars (I don't want to buy any more) and Boveda packets (more should arrive by Friday) to accommodate Sour Diesel once it's cut and dried. I'm expecting maybe 1.5 pounds (2/3 kg) from this monster. :cool:

In the best possible way: holy f&*^(ing crap, that is a monstress.

Fantastic work!

After a few days in cure jars, I weighed Cookies today... (drum roll)... bud=18.4 oz (516 g); trim=2.4 oz (68 g) :yahoo:

Here's the info graph on Cookies:
Cookies Chart.jpg

Love it! I'll say it again, this is quite easily the best grow journal I've seen on this site in the time I've been here... @Teddy Edwards

:thanks:

After 10 hrs of trimming...

We just finished the Sour Diesel trim today! I'm exhausted, it took 4 days - approx. 20 hrs of my time plus help from the wife, kids, and their friends along the way. Everything is now in the dry shed doing its thing.

The wife and I are going to celebrate tomorrow by heading up to Mendocino for a couple days of relaxation on the coast while the weather is still nice. By the time I get back home, some of the buds should be ready for the cure jars. I think with this plant, I'm not going to have enough jars -- probably try out the "turkey bag" method. :cool:

After 10 hrs of trimming...

We just finished the Sour Diesel trim today! I'm exhausted, it took 4 days - approx. 20 hrs of my time plus help from the wife, kids, and their friends along the way. Everything is now in the dry shed doing its thing.

The wife and I are going to celebrate tomorrow by heading up to Mendocino for a couple days of relaxation on the coast while the weather is still nice. By the time I get back home, some of the buds should be ready for the cure jars. I think with this plant, I'm not going to have enough jars -- probably try out the "turkey bag" method. :cool:
Madre de Dios!! I'm w/ pennywise, that SD's a beastess...gonna be good. You should def. enter it in the plant of the month contest here on 420 to win some swag.

Have a blast in Mendo...time fer a rest, farming can be hard work (I'm glad my 100+ hrs of trimmng are behind me!)

Well, I'm home now. Had a great mini-vacation in the wine country and Mendocino. Some folks buy T-shirts for souvenirs, but I got this in a great little glass shop in Mendo. :ganjamon:

Them buds look awesome!! Which strain?

Sour Diesel. Was getting some buds ready for cure and thought they'd make a good backdrop.

After 7 days of drying, all flower is now in cure bags -- I'm trying out the turkey bag method on Sour Diesel. I'll weigh everything in a couple days, but pretty sure it's going to be more than a pound.

I couldn't wait any longer - I had to know what Sour Diesel yielded. I weighed it all this morning. Bud: 878 grams (31.36oz or 1.96 lbs)! Trim: 129 grams (4.6 oz) :yahoo: I'm really pleased with this total especially since we trimmed the buds tight and removed all but the smallest of stems.
Here's the completed info graph for Sour Diesel.
Sour Diesel Chart.jpg

Back
Top Bottom