BeezLuiz & Liquidintel's Outdoor Grow 2018

I hope to put together a comparative smoke report for the 5 strains we grew this season. It's hard work but somebody's got to do it :p.

I hope to put together a comparative smoke report for the 5 strains we grew this season. It's hard work but somebody's got to do it :p.
Just don't try to do all the sampling in one day. Otherwise, by the time you finish trying the 5th, you prob. won't remember the 1st...;)

OK, so now there are four:

We decided the trichomes on Blueberry Muffin were about right for harvest.

So on Sunday we took her down.

It was exciting and a bit sad at the same time.
Remember to bring my chain saw back,wow you grow real trees.
They are awesome love those trichs,bet it's going to be lovely.

Hey there you two! (@BeezLuiz and @Liquidintel ). Congratulations on the JoTM win.
:bravo:
Awesome job both of you and I wish I’d discovered it back when it started. I’m an outdoor grower primarily too :D and I’m enjoying catching up on this. Am still back on page 3... ooh those trichs on the Blueberry Muffin just looked perfect to me :drool:

I’ll jump back again and keep on catching up now. Nice grow, great graphs! I wonder how you created them...

:Namaste:

Hey there you two! (@BeezLuiz and @Liquidintel ). Congratulations on the JoTM win.
Awesome job both of you and I wish I’d discovered it back when it started. I’m an outdoor grower primarily too :D and I’m enjoying catching up on this. Am still back on page 3... ooh those trichs on the Blueberry Muffin just looked perfect to me :drool:

I’ll jump back again and keep on catching up now. Nice grow, great graphs! I wonder how you created them...

Thank you so much for the kind words!! @BeezLuiz is the mastermind behind the graphs.

Thank you and welcome! :peace:

Hey there you two! (@BeezLuiz and @Liquidintel ).

This brings up a good point @Teddy Edwards @Dwight Monk

I know it's a chore to set up new subforums, but it seems like there'd be an awful lot of benefit to splitting up the Journal sections of the forums into "Indoor" and "Outdoor" subforums. It'd help outdoor growers find outdoor journals for tips, tricks, & things to avoid. Same for indoor growers.

As an outdoor grower, I occasionally find interesting indoor journals that I follow, but I'm primarily interested in outdoor journals, which often take a goodly amount of time to find & I'm sure, that as a result, I miss out on some excellent ones. I doubt that I'm the only one & I'm guessing it's a similar situation for indoor growers & indoor grow journals.

Seems like this would add a lot of ease of use for those interested in journals.

Obviously, it wouldn't be tractable to do this for all ongoing/unfinished/completed journals, but seems like it'd be fairly tractable for the next wave.

Anyway, just a thought.

Same here, but looks like I'll have a lot more catching up on yours -- 79 pages, yay! I really like the cooking info you have. Since I only grow outdoors, during the off season I plan to do a lot of projects on oils and baked goods. I can use all the help I can get. :peace:

I'm working on a nug and smoke comparison for the 5 strains that I grew this season. While I collect more input from family and friends here's a couple pics of the nugs :peace:

and some close-ups...
Nugs Side by Side 02.jpg

I put together a comparative table for the 5 strains:

Nug Table.jpg

All in all, we're pretty happy with the strain choices we made. I think they will all have their rightful time and place for a variety of situations and moods. For me, I think Cookies was the most potent high, but my kids thought Blueberry Muffin and Sour Diesel were the strongest. To be honest, "taste" was difficult for me - they all seem to taste mostly the same once I fire them up. I probably need to work on my smoking equipment game. I did, however notice that the last two plants of harvest - they got the bud wash - were smoother smoke than the others. I'm gonna wash everything from now on.

Also, I harvested some flower on most of the plants a week earlier than the official harvest. Comparing the buds one week apart, they didn't seem to exhibit any difference in high so now I know there is some acceptable window in harvest timing. All the strains were good energetic highs, none "couch locked" so I must have timed the harvest pretty well.

Some final thoughts before I send this to the "Completed Journals" section.

Total yield from the 5 plants was 2.597 Kg (5.8 lbs) of flower, and 428 grams (15.3 oz) of good quality trim. The trim actually has a lot of small buds that we were too lazy to trim individually -- rolled some of the trim into joints and they were pretty dang good. I will, however, use most of the trim to make oils and baked goods.

I kept track of my costs for this grow and even though there were lots of first time startup costs such as geo pots, clippers, scales, hygrometers, and drying baskets, the cost per ounce of yield was really nice: $7.03/oz. If I only consider the non startup costs (soil, nutes, plants, etc): $4.39/oz. From what I learned this grow, I'm pretty sure next grow will be even better.

I'd like to especially thank @andIhalped and @Pennywise for their support and encouragement along the way. I can't wait for next season to start Grow #2! :Namaste:

I put together a comparative table for the 5 strains:

Nug Table.jpg

All in all, we're pretty happy with the strain choices we made. I think they will all have their rightful time and place for a variety of situations and moods. For me, I think Cookies was the most potent high, but my kids thought Blueberry Muffin and Sour Diesel were the strongest. To be honest, "taste" was difficult for me - they all seem to taste mostly the same once I fire them up. I probably need to work on my smoking equipment game. I did, however notice that the last two plants of harvest - they got the bud wash - were smoother smoke than the others. I'm gonna wash everything from now on.

Also, I harvested some flower on most of the plants a week earlier than the official harvest. Comparing the buds one week apart, they didn't seem to exhibit any difference in high so now I know there is some acceptable window in harvest timing. All the strains were good energetic highs, none "couch locked" so I must have timed the harvest pretty well.
Well you’re not resting on your laurels—that’s well-organized highly informative table! I may borrow parts of the format for the smoke report in my non-linear journal…in case you wish to check it out, the journal link’s in my signature.

Super work in a great journal folks!! I'll say again before you move it to completion...this is easily the best journal I've ever encountered on the site! Most deserved JoTM:goodjob::adore:

Some final thoughts before I send this to the "Completed Journals" section.

Total yield from the 5 plants was 2.597 Kg (5.8 lbs) of flower, and 428 grams (15.3 oz) of good quality trim. The trim actually has a lot of small buds that we were too lazy to trim individually -- rolled some of the trim into joints and they were pretty dang good. I will, however, use most of the trim to make oils and baked goods.

I kept track of my costs for this grow and even though there were lots of first time startup costs such as geo pots, clippers, scales, hygrometers, and drying baskets, the cost per ounce of yield was really nice: $7.03/oz. If I only consider the non startup costs (soil, nutes, plants, etc): $4.39/oz. From what I learned this grow, I'm pretty sure next grow will be even better.

I'd like to especially thank @andIhalped and @Pennywise for their support and encouragement along the way. I can't wait for next season to start Grow #2! :Namaste:
Nice...nothing's as cost effective and lower in carbon footprint as an outdoor grow.

I may borrow parts of the format for the smoke report in my non-linear journal…in case you wish to check it out, the journal link’s in my signature.

I'm heading over there now :cool:

Thanks Luiz!

Great write up. I liked the comparative table too :D very clear and informative. I may take a lead from you as well, like halped, if I can manage decent enough descriptions. I’m just getting going outside myself and discovering this grow just as I was/am gearing up for it has been just perfect.

Back
Top Bottom