Black pistils after foliage spray

TabbyDee

Yesterday evening I sprayed my plant with baking soda oil and bio soap for the purpose of killing powdery mildew. I sprayed half way up the tree because that’s what’s infected. I sprayed the whole thing even the flowers. And now this morning my pistils are black and I think dead. Is my plant ruined?
886831B8-811A-446B-B8EA-E6245B0ACB69.jpeg
8816306A-0C99-4A95-87A5-6B0CDCF7A434.jpeg
516BA3A6-DD2D-4CF2-858F-8B09B6D791E6.jpeg

I don't have an answer for you. I suggest you talk to someone with many years experience like @Emilya on this one. Never seen this before.
I have never seen that either, but it doesn't look good. Not sure what baking soda oil is, but I would suspect that the percentages that you used in your spray of all or any of these additives was too much. If the plant is still alive and you just burned up all of its active pistils, it will sure send out a brand new batch of them. If you have freaked it out and the plant although living, now thinks that reproduction is out of the question, it will likely hermi on you. Right now it is up to the plant which way this goes. I hope you stopped the mildew, but please review your recipe. Some varieties of pot simply do not like being sprayed... I lost an entire crop to NEEM one day in a similar episode.

It’s baking soda and oil and bio soap. And I really hope she recovers. I watched a stupid video on YouTube when I should have just came here first. My mix was off and it was way to much baking soda for the amount of water. Do you think I should leave it out in the rain tomorrow? I’m just worried that will bring back the PM. Because as of this morning I didn’t see any on the plant. And do you think I should wash the buds at harvest if she does survive?

I gotta say it is an impressive black color on those pistils, but I doubt that you were trying to take an artistic photo. As Emilya mentions if the plant itself remains healthy there is a decent chance that it will recover and start producing more of the normal pistils.

I was wondering about the cause and started looking for sample oil, soap and baking soda recipes and came across an on-line article which included a basic recipe.

Also, I want to take a minute to stress to those who might wander in to read this thread that the portion of the article quoted below is once again another gardener who makes part of her living by growing flowers and vegetables commercially and who mentions that Powdery Mildew is not caused by rain. Those lovely summer afternoons with warm sunshine and a mild breeze spread more mildew than anything else. Mildew prefers warm temperatures to go so cool fall days slow it down, not speed it up. And, remember the old saying that by the time we see the mildew on the leaves the stuff has been growing there for 3 or more weeks. It does not grow over-night.

Now that my little rant is over, this is the article. Is the first recipe close to what the video recommended?

From The Old Farmer's Almanac

Powdery Mildew Remedies for Plants
By Robin Sweetser

Remedies for Powdery Mildew

There are lots of home remedies, but researchers have found that simply spraying with plain water weekly can be effective. The spores like humidity but hate rain and water. They can’t germinate or grow if the leaves are wet.

Homemade Baking Soda Spray

Many of these remedies include baking soda. Just be aware that baking soda can burn plants and it can build up in your soil, potentially causing deficiencies in calcium, magnesium, and iron. Potassium bicarbonate can be substituted for baking soda. Test these sprays on a small area first to make sure they do not damage your plants.

Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon dish soap in 1 gallon of water.

Mix 4 tablespoons baking soda with 2 tablespoons of Murphy’s oil soap in 1 gallon of water.

Sounds like a stress response...did you spray directly under the light? Maybe that caused them to burn or idk....I'd say mold but it's isolated so def not that...

I gotta say it is an impressive black color on those pistils, but I doubt that you were trying to take an artistic photo. As Emilya mentions if the plant itself remains healthy there is a decent chance that it will recover and start producing more of the normal pistils.

I was wondering about the cause and started looking for sample oil, soap and baking soda recipes and came across an on-line article which included a basic recipe.

Also, I want to take a minute to stress to those who might wander in to read this thread that the portion of the article quoted below is once again another gardener who makes part of her living by growing flowers and vegetables commercially and who mentions that Powdery Mildew is not caused by rain. Those lovely summer afternoons with warm sunshine and a mild breeze spread more mildew than anything else. Mildew prefers warm temperatures to go so cool fall days slow it down, not speed it up. And, remember the old saying that by the time we see the mildew on the leaves the stuff has been growing there for 3 or more weeks. It does not grow over-night.

Now that my little rant is over, this is the article. Is the first recipe close to what the video recommended?
Yes but it called for 500ml of water. Now that I think about it I think it was a mix for the garden, not for cannabis . I didn’t think it would make a difference. Anyways the damage is done. I mist it with water and it’s 19 & windy out today so it should dry. Fingers crossed she recovers.

It’s outdoors and I did it in the evening.
I think it’s stress or I killed those pistils. Hopefully she’ll recover.
Probably just stress but at least it's not the whole bud Tabby! Win!

new ones will grow as the plant looks healthy.

look in to using a milk solution if facing pm. lactic acid will take pm out. it's safe and non toxic.

A beautiful lady. I think she'll recover. She'll make new pistils. Who knows, she might kick off some crazy growth in response to getting the pistils burnt.

Did all of the pistils turn, even the ones way up there that didn't get sprayed?
No. Just the bottom 6 branches. Thank god. As of today they look ok. I have to open up the bud a little to smell anything and they have less trichomes than the top ones. I’m keeping on eye to see if any new pistils have grown but so far no. Also the leaves on those branches look pitiful.

Here’s some updated pic’s.
Do you guys think I should cut my losses and cut them off so the plant can focus on the top half ? My only thing is that I still see some trichomes on there. It doesn’t smell as strong as the top branches but if I open it up a bit I do smell something. No new pistils have grown either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)
86CBB795-E6F8-4F7D-8BCD-E55A0F4FBFAB.jpeg
7C663AEC-0079-4286-AAA8-8DC54DFCB79C.jpeg
0503E7BE-FFA5-4DA1-B764-E7562F4C3B70.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom