Boatshoe’s Indoor N.Lights x Skunk Home Cross First Time Breeding 2018 Organic Soil LED

It's time to transplant these seedlings. I was thinking I could flip them and cull the males before transplanting but they're getting root limited. I wonder what timeline other SOG from seed growers follow.
It's time to transplant these seedlings. I was thinking I could flip them and cull the males before transplanting but they're getting root limited. I wonder what timeline other SOG from seed growers follow.
You've already let them get bigger than I would, for a SOG, What is your planned final pot size ? Bury them right up to the bottom leaves and immediately put them into bloom. When I did SOG, as soon as I verified roots, I put in 2 liter soda bottles, and put in bloom. And I had mother plants and was constantly rooting clones, and every time I added to the SOG, I'd harvest some. Think I had it down to where I was harvesting 6 plants, every 2 weeks. Actually, SOG is my prefered method of growing. but with Ma. having a 12 plant limit, I'd be on wrong side of law. So now I grow 8 plants in two 4x4 tents

Thanks for the perspective @Slowpuffer. Sounds like you had a good setup going. T

Youre right, I could have transplanted at the beginning of the week but I didn't have enough pots and there was some delay in delivery. The plants are definitely in the accelerated growth phase. I hope they don't get unwieldy.

They're in 1 gal fabric pots. I planted them about an inch deep. Planned to flip to flower on Saturday, after giving them a few days to avoid shock. But you say start them now. That seems reasonable.

Now I have a small veg tent and the bigger tent can be dedicated to flower. Got some clones to grow out for some cuts next year.
Here are the early skunk and skunk#1 seedlings in the new digs -

These skunk seeds shoot up and get leggy. I am leaving room at the top of the pot to fill . They should have enough light, but apparently not.

These will be the next wave in the sea of green.
:green_heart:

yes, it’s going to be bushy... I’ll manage it as it comes. This isn’t tuned in any way haha.

Rolling the dice with the sex odds, too. Like, what if they’re all females, there’s about a one in a thousand chance all 10 are. Then more in the wings. An embarrassment of riches won’t be bad. They’ll be trimmed for a single cola, no side buds. No topping, no lst, au naturel.

I don’t know how many I can fit in this small space nor how big theyll get. I grew the parents outdoors so can’t compare. One of the plants in the planting bed was bigger than the inside tent. They’re looking more vigorous than the parents but are getting better care I think.

There’s 10+10 going now but I can cull that as needed depending on size and number of females. I’m wary of too much density too. Think I can do 10 plants in 2 x 4 space? Seems crowded to me, then I read about much denser grows. Next batch I can move veg to flower earlier.

My plan is to get these two batches of skunk hybrids in tandem, done by spring then get some of these other cuts going. I don’t have enough rhythm with this yet to know what’s workable. I don’t want to get ahead of myself in what I can get done.

yes, it’s going to be bushy... I’ll manage it as it comes. This isn’t tuned in any way haha.

Rolling the dice with the sex odds, too. Like, what if they’re all females, there’s about a one in a thousand chance all 10 are. Then more in the wings. An embarrassment of riches won’t be bad. They’ll be trimmed for a single cola, no side buds. No topping, no lst, au naturel.

I don’t know how many I can fit in this small space nor how big theyll get. I grew the parents outdoors so can’t compare. One of the plants in the planting bed was bigger than the inside tent. They’re looking more vigorous than the parents but are getting better care I think.

There’s 10+10 going now but I can cull that as needed depending on size and number of females. I’m wary of too much density too. Think I can do 10 plants in 2 x 4 space? Seems crowded to me, then I read about much denser grows. Next batch I can move veg to flower earlier.

My plan is to get these two batches of skunk hybrids in tandem, done by spring then get some of these other cuts going. I don’t have enough rhythm with this yet to know what’s workable. I don’t want to get ahead of myself in what I can get done.

Trial & error. Hopefully few errors !!

Trial & error. Hopefully few errors !!
Run, hits and errors, that’s life. Oh, wait, that’s baseball.;)

The seedlings are about 10 days old or so, and there is a lot of yellowing and loss of color in the new growth. I believe this is iron deficiency caused mainly by ph lockout rather than not enough in the soil, and it’s worsened by the cool nights. It got into the 40s. The soil is off because I added dolomite, which is a lot of calcium, without balancing it.

I don’t have a ph meter, here are the ph test strips. Not sure how clear and color true the photo is. I’m not good at matching the strip colors either.
My water is about 7 and I don’t usally alter it. The runoff from the pots is up at about 8.0 adjusting the water with 15 drops of lemon juice per cup moves it to about 6.0 so that’s like rainwater.

Also gave a foliar with cal-mag plus, which has nitrogen and iron. That should green them up in a couple days but the soil ph will fix it long term. My backyard citrus trees are the same way. I have been treating the soil with sulphur and that acidifys the soil. I used to have to spray them with iron monthly.

I’ll add a couple tablespoons of sulphur to my prepared potting mix when I transplant them. I need some gypsum, that’s a good source of calcium + sulphur, dolomite alone also has too much magnesium in the balance. I need some oyster shell dust too. I don’t use eggshells because they’ll attract critters. Maybe if I crush them and denature them somehow. I’ll have to look into it.

A cautionary tale about iron deficiency. It’s incredible how fast these went yellow.
Within about 5 days they went from starting to show some yellowing to looking like they were goners.
Seems to be high ph plus some cold nights then boom.

Spray with nitrogen and iron supplement. Within a few days we can see the improvement.
One day later....

Iron deficiency is evident at the base of the top leaves, in between veins. Good green color is coming back along the veins and tips first, then toward the base.

Two days later...

I think they’ll be fine. I’ll post another picture in a day or two, hoping for green.

:oops::oops::oops:

One week after the light flip and they’re showing sex. Identified 4 males, clearly 3 females, some of the others are not evident , sometimes they’re shy. :D
4 males and 6 females is right on the expectation mark.

Here is the whole pack. The males are on the left and are the biggest.

Nice looking young males. But not my type at least for this grow. I am tempted to save one for making seeds, just stick it back into the other tent and take a couple cuttings.

Male parts.

:ciao:

Here are the seedlings, they’re looking a lot better. Daily foliar with iron brings the photosynthesis green back. Top dressed with sulfur but that won’t change the ph for a while, adjust the water ph down will help. If I can get them healthy I’ll transplant and get them ready to flip the lights.

Compare the seedling to how it looked a few days ago. Big difference.

Meanwhile I have some clones I am getting going. Planted at the same time, one was showing the iron deficiency but the other is fine. These were bought at the dispensary, from Dark Heart Nursery, bred by Humboldt Seed Company.
The Pineapple Upside Down Cake is ready to take a cutting. I’ve been reading about using bonsai techniques. That would mean putting them in a smaller container. Hmm.

Note the size difference. The DQ still has yellowing but starting to look better.

Back
Top Bottom