Borntorun's 2009 outdoor grow.snottygirl

nice ... looks amazing
+rep

Thanks Haze. I'm sure your will have lots of buds on your next trip out! I'm still thinking harvest end of Sept on the one garden and end of Oct on the clones. Really the latest I can safely go is Nov. 15th and then we can get some serious frost. The sweetgod is going on 8 weeks now and still no signs of amber but the weight of the buds is getting to much for the stems. I smoked some last night and it was incredible so i think I'm going to cut it end of the week, amber or not.

I'd just like to know their brownie recipe :grinjoint:

they obviously couldn't stop at just one!

Cut down the little sweetgod three days ago. For such a scrawny little plant it produced a bunch of really dense sticky buds. I had girdled it a couple weeks ago and that really kicked started the Thc. Wet and trimmed it came out to just a little over 4 ounces. It's going into the mason jar today at 3 oz. Probably lose another oz during curing and of course the daily testing is burning off some weight too :)

Started girdling the snotty girls yesterday, will try to get some pictures of it up today. I'm going to be doing a staggered harvest on them over the next 3 weeks.

Seeing any bud rot born? I hope all your plants are healthy.

I had one that I had to cut back. I hit all the plants with calcium right as they started to flower. That is suppose to prevent it, or at least the bud end rot disease. The other kind of rot caused by the grub we don't get much around here, knock on wood. I'm hoping to get another 2 full weeks of flowering. Still not a single sign of amber tricombes.

Just started to do some girdling on the first few. All the plants in garden one are starting to die off, except right around the buds. Garden two where the clones are a good month behind there isn't a yellow leaf in sight. 7 months of vegging is about the max for this strain.

girdling...you just want to crimp the outer layer not break it. It will slowly kill off the roots so you want to do it right at the end of flowering, maybe two weeks. Grapes are typically done right at the start of the fruit forming but it's a little different when dealing with an annual.

DSC009901.JPG

girdling...you just want to crimp the outer layer not break it. It will slowly kill off the roots so you want to do it right at the end of flowering, maybe two weeks. Grapes are typically done right at the start of the fruit forming but it's a little different when dealing with an annual.

Never heard of it, and I can't quite make out what you're doing.

Are you wrapping wire around the stem?

Watcha doin' exactly and what's it do?

Never heard of it, and I can't quite make out what you're doing.

Are you wrapping wire around the stem?

Watcha doin' exactly and what's it do?

Yes you are wrapping wire around the stem and crimping the cambium layer so the sugars that would normally flow to the roots to keep them going instead flows to the flowers. The original Acapulco Gold was done this way. It is pretty labor intensive so not done much anymore.

here is some technical info on girdling

I did it on one of the two sweetgod plants and can definitely say it had a huge difference in final weight and density of the buds. Almost double the density. But that was two different plants, I guess the ideal test would be to girdle one branch on a plant and compare to the other branches.

I'm doing about 1/2 the plants and varying the timing to see what happens. Girdling doesn't stop the flow of nutrients and water up from the roots, only the downward transfer of carbs and hormones that feed the roots. If you do it too soon the roots will stop growing, too late and the carbs that are transferred to the buds and converted to THC won't have much impact. One thing you do notice right away is the the growth hormones that would normally flow down to the roots causes excess growth above the girdle.

Thanks for explaining and for that link!

So you tighten it, but not enough to cut into the stem, just enough to squeeze it? Could I use something like 18 gauge electrical wire with insulation so as to give me a margin of safety?

Sounds like timing is critical.

Two weeks before estimated time of harvest?

good stuff man!

Cool info on the girdling - might have solved a new growth mystery for me... one of my wires had imbedded in the trunk, which might be why the top buds started stretching again... thanks!

Thanks for explaining and for that link!

So you tighten it, but not enough to cut into the stem, just enough to squeeze it? Could I use something like 18 gauge electrical wire with insulation so as to give me a margin of safety?

Sounds like timing is critical.

Two weeks before estimated time of harvest?

good stuff man!

yeah that would work. You want enough crimping to stop the flow down the cambium layer. That layer is pretty thin so it doesn't take too much. A friend does it with zip ties pulled tight with pliers.

If you are nervous just try it on a branch and compare it with another branch on the same plant. I'm doing two week before harvest but could probably do it earlier. I've never read about the timing on Acapulco Gold. All the fruits that the technique is used on all seem to have different timing.

One of the reasons I do two weeks before harvest is because if I totally screw up I will still have a harvest!

Cool info on the girdling - might have solved a new growth mystery for me... one of my wires had imbedded in the trunk, which might be why the top buds started stretching again... thanks!

yeah that is totally possible. Look at trees that have a strand of barbed wire wrapped around the trunk. Usually right above it the bark bulges out and the cones or seeds is usually prolific. But at some point if you do it too much the roots will die off and not support the tree.

Back
Top Bottom