Bud support

johnehazeharvester

Buds were starting to fall over. I gave these girls Cal mag and K Silicate but the branches were not supporting buds. My last grow was autos and buds were not as big. The room is not set up for a trellis. I used twine and tied around tops of plants which kept the buds upright. The downside is the canopy is not as spread out. I'm thinking it's okay but yield may suffer a bit. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20230504-224909.png

Screenshot_20230504-224827.png

PXL_20230505_023835528.jpg

Looks like you are close enough to the end that bundling will be fine. Done it many times. Some times trying to set up a last minute grid is likely to cause more damage. Won't effect your yield that much. Make sure you have plenty of air circulating through the plants. Keeps the moisture from collecting around the buds and strengthens the stems.

i use bamboo sticks. just shove them into the pots and tie the stalks to them. simple, cheap and fairly effective. you can also use yo-yos to string them up if you have a structure to attach to higher up by the light.

started running cage grows again. i use a tomato cage to support and train them easy. the cage does all the work. there are cannabis specific cages you can buy which work excellent as well.

Buds were starting to fall over. I gave these girls Cal mag and K Silicate but the branches were not supporting buds.
The Calcium will work and the Silica helps a lot.

They will work best and help develop stronger stems if the grower starts to use them weeks before flowering starts. Once the stems start to bend over because of healthy and heavy buds it is pretty much to late to get the benefits of adding Calcium to the fertilizing schedule.

Easiest thing to do is what you did by tying them together like that.

Looks like a nice harvest coming up.

As mentioned above bamboo sticks work the best and can be reused grow after grow. I suggest you get them 4foot in height or taller and cut in half. I use a small zip tie to attach to sticks. you can aslo use the twine you tried around the outer portion of the bamboo. Wrap around once and go to next rod and do the same till satisfied with support. I stay away from cages! They work but can be a pain at harvest.... Hope this helps...

Looks like you are close enough to the end that bundling will be fine. Done it many times. Some times trying to set up a last minute grid is likely to cause more damage. Won't effect your yield that much. Make sure you have plenty of air circulating through the plants. Keeps the moisture from collecting around the buds and strengthens the stems.
Thanks appreciate your input @Sativa1970

As mentioned above bamboo sticks work the best and can be reused grow after grow. I suggest you get them 4foot in height or taller and cut in half. I use a small zip tie to attach to sticks. you can aslo use the twine you tried around the outer portion of the bamboo. Wrap around once and go to next rod and do the same till satisfied with support. I stay away from cages! They work but can be a pain at harvest.... Hope this helps...
Thanks @Ripples! I don't think they sell bamboo around but I have some driveway markers that make work. For now I think I'll see how my twine does. I guess having big buds isn't the worst problem I could have at this point

Bamboo garden stakes! Pipe cleaners work great as ties, soft and reusable.

I stay away from cages! They work but can be a pain at harvest....

it's a pain to chop and do a whole plant hang with them. not a problem if you do branches.

get the ties cheap from hobby / art supply stores. also it's a good idea to pick up a roll of coated garden wire now that it's back in season and at all the garden centers again. useful for all sorts of stuff.

Thanks @Ripples! I don't think they sell bamboo around but I have some driveway markers that make work. For now I think I'll see how my twine does. I guess having big buds isn't the worst problem I could have at this point
Most garden centers sell bamboo stakes. If there is an Ocean State job lot near you if so, they also have them.

The Calcium will work and the Silica helps a lot.

They will work best and help develop stronger stems if the grower starts to use them weeks before flowering starts. Once the stems start to bend over because of healthy and heavy buds it is pretty much to late to get the benefits of adding Calcium to the fertilizing schedule.

Easiest thing to do is what you did by tying them together like that.

Looks like a nice harvest coming up.
Thanks. I was giving them even in veg 1-2 x a week

Buds were starting to fall over. I gave these girls Cal mag and K Silicate but the branches were not supporting buds. My last grow was autos and buds were not as big. The room is not set up for a trellis. I used twine and tied around tops of plants which kept the buds upright. The downside is the canopy is not as spread out. I'm thinking it's okay but yield may suffer a bit. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20230504-224909.png

Screenshot_20230504-224827.png

PXL_20230505_023835528.jpg
I have nothing to add that has not been provided here but CONGRAGULATIONS . Wishing this was my problem.:goodjob:

I have nothing to add that has not been provided here but CONGRAGULATIONS . Wishing this was my problem.:goodjob:
Thanks. Well I'm having an issue in my flower room. I just posted a question in pests about it. Maybe be powdery mildew. I was going to put my clone into flower room tomorrow because I wanted to make seeds. I don't want to ruin this harvest. It's my second one and already looks much better than my first.

PXL_20230505_211648895.jpg

PXL_20230505_211616858.jpg

PXL_20230505_211508433.jpg

Back
Top Bottom