Bummed out

s10lowrider

420 Member
So I was having heat problems at first and my 2 little seedlings were drying up quick. I resolved the heat problem, and stupidly didn't give less water. I ended up over watering both seedlings and there's been no noticeable growth in a couple days.

I lowered my lights down a bit for more heat, but put the seedlings under shade and have only been giving 10-20ml of water when the top inch of the soil is dry.

I think one is recovering but the other seems to be holding water in the middle of the solo cup even though there's a bunch of holes in the bottom and around the cup itself.

I'm getting ready to yank it out cause I think the roots are dead but I'm afraid to check.

Am I just being too impatient or should I germinate another seed and trash her?

Let her go a few days. It will be apparent very soon if she will recover. Seedlings look like they are not growing while they are putting on root mass.

Without pics I can't tell how big your seedlings are. I put a clear cup or half soda bottle over mine for a few days after they break ground. Seems to work well. The plastic over the top also diffuses the light intensity without cutting out too much.

Patience is key in the early days, you can love a plant to death.

Ill take a couple recent pics when lights are on. I forgot to mention that i tried misting sandwich bags and placing them over the cups for 2 days but did not put them back over the cups today. I might try it again tonight.

Ill take a couple recent pics when lights are on. I forgot to mention that i tried misting sandwich bags and placing them over the cups for 2 days but did not put them back over the cups today. I might try it again tonight.

Let them breath, humidity dome stuff only with Clones until they have roots IMHO. Let the soil dry out instead of just the top inch, as the roots are below that and will go find water which makes for a better root system. Take a container same size of soil and you can get a feel for what it weighs dry (you don't have to actually weigh it necessarily, just go by how heavy it feels) and let them get close to that weight before you water. Patience is learned, just let them do their thing and go from there, personally I don't cull anything until it is literally quite dead as they will overcome quite a bit.

Several folks here swear by it. I had never done it before, but started doing it mid-summer when tent temps reached over 100° for many weeks in a row. It helped so it is just what I do now. 1000 ways to skin a cat.

I agree with @Dwight Monk I don't like culling. I had the saddest seedling get a supercropped stem just above the coco. I was sure she would go to the dumpster. After holding out I ended up with this
Not a big yield, but great solid bud structure. Most would have tossed the seedling and started a new one, I know I almost did.

Several folks here swear by it. I had never done it before, but started doing it mid-summer when tent temps reached over 100° for many weeks in a row. It helped so it is just what I do now. 1000 ways to skin a cat.

Yep, also so many variables that affect it, so it might help in a certain temp/humidity range and in a different one cause you nothing but grief. One of those find what works best for you and stick with it. When you are learning it is common to learn the hard way, if you culled it every time you goofed up you would never get anything or get anywhere ;) :rofl: they will put up with a bunch of abuse and still give you something for your trouble. So I never give in and give up on them, but maybe I'm more stubborn than most ;) :rofl:

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. It's been 5 years since my last/1st complete grow so I'm rusty to say the least. I'll give her some more time but pop another seed just in case.

agree with those that say let er breathe. if it is damp already,, then putting a cover over it will hold that moisture in instead of ridding itself of excess by evaporation.

also, to dry out a bit,, put the pot on a folded piece of paper towel or similar and let the towel touch the drain holes and it will wick a bit of moisture out of the bottom,, just helps a bit is all

overwatering is the easiest and most common way to new growers to stunt their plants

and as mentioned,, dont throw them away,, they are near the toughest plants on the planet,, they will recover with time

for watering, let the pot almost completely dry out before you water again,,

my opinion only,, not for encyclopedic writing purposes,, if ever done anymore

cheers

Just checked on the babies. The one that I thought was going to die, has stretched a bit today to my surprise, and the other does not seem to have stretched but is showing some new growth. My phone is dead at the moment, but I'll take some pictures once it's charged. :thumb:

Stop watering and make sure the pot be lighter than when it's dry, lol... Let the roots search for water... Love her by leaving her alone, lol..

Here's where they are at today. I thought the one showing some stretch was recovering but it's yellowing and wilting bad, so I think the initial stretch was from stress. They were both pretty light so I gave them a little water. The short one seems to have bounced back, but it's just very short.

Attachments

• 20180925_120600.jpg
    20180925_120600.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20180925_120704.jpg
    20180925_120704.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20180925_120612.jpg
    20180925_120612.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180925_120759.jpg
    20180925_120759.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20180925_120612.jpg
    20180925_120612.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 63
Yellow cotyledons is a sign of over watering or soil too strong with nutrients. I usually have a heat mat with some insulation between heat mat and seedling tray. Wanna keep them warm unless you ambient temps are +80F. Then run the heat mat for a day turn it off ... watch for new growth. If no new growth in a day, I turn the heat mat on again. I sprout in peat pellets with a dome on top. I get pretty good result.

I soak seeds overnight in filtered water until there's a tail popping up (barely) then stick that seed with the tail in the peat pellet tail down. (I add boiling filtered water to perk up the peat pellets (well before adding the seeds) Reason for boiling water is to kill any larvae in the peat pellets. Notorious for fungus gnats. The larvae will eat the seedling tails.

Here's a pic I took yesterday. Got a mutant with 3 cotyledons!! Here you can see my tray and the peat pellets, the babies just poked heads out yesterday morning. Growing already. I'm VERY careful with watering. This is when I mess up with too much water. Too little they wilt, too much they die. Wilting I can fix too much water is usually bad result. Fine line....

The seedling in the top right with the cotyledons stuck together. Had to get a sharp knife and delicately separate the cotyledons. These seeds were prone to that and also the seed jackets not falling off without help. Must keep any tools touching seedling CLEAN at this stage.

Thank you to everyone who provided their input and/or advice. Im finally training my bagseed and the chem og has been recovering. I even got a set of 5 leafs on her(not pictured) cause I think it may just be a mutation given the stress. Journal to come soon!
20181022_232745.jpg

Pretty little girl there. Young plants is the hardest time for me. The only time I loose plants. It's the same for many many of us so just go with it and be thankful for the plants that make it thru.

The way I look at it, if they don't make it thru the early stage, they are not worthy and usually the unhealthy ones that do live, are a waste of time. I'm not a nurse maid. Plants live or they don't. I have a killer compost bin and my worms love freshies.

Back
Top Bottom