Cannafan's Variety Grow - Blueberry Gum/Delicious CC/Hawaiian Skunk Haze/THC Bomb

Re: Cannafan's Variety Grow-Blueberry Gum-Delicious CC-Hawaiian Skunk Haze-THC Bomb e

Thank you Skunnymonster....You never know until you give it a whirl. :)

I've probably got more pollen collected than I will need for pollinating just two branches, so for the rest of it I'm trying something I saw on Youtube a while back. Cut the stems of the pollen branches, place them in a glass of water with the pollen sacs hanging over into a dish or glass. Then you can tap the pollen out easier than trying to do it on the plant where a lot of it falls where you don't want it to. I snipped off the larger leaves. I will tap them tonight to see what I get. The video showed using a very small paint brush to get the pollen sacs to drop the dust, but I think that will trap too much pollen in the brush. We'll see.

Pollen_4.jpg

When I pollinate my tomato plants, I use an electric toothbrush. If you have one, just touch it to the branches and pollen will fall. Bees normally pollinate tomatoes, male and female parts in tomato flower. All of my flowers are pollinated by hand. Wife says I'm weird, but bees are disappearing so I do what I must.

WJ

Re: Cannafan's Variety Grow-Blueberry Gum-Delicious CC-Hawaiian Skunk Haze-THC Bomb e

When I pollinate my tomato plants, I use an electric toothbrush. If you have one, just touch it to the branches and pollen will fall. Bees normally pollinate tomatoes, male and female parts in tomato flower. All of my flowers are pollinated by hand. Wife says I'm weird, but bees are disappearing so I do what I must.

WJ

Interesting idea for sure. I'll give that a try on the other plant when they start opening. :)

I'm going to do the pollination this Saturday, which will make 22 days in flower for the THC Bomb. The window for best pollination is 21-24 days, so it ought to about right.

:volcano-smiley:

Edit: So far the water cup method is working well. I'm getting lots of pollen. :)

Tomatoes are not pollinated by bees, unfortunately. They are wind pollinated nightshade. Shaking them is how I release pollen from the flower. The toothbrush will work also because it will release the pollen like wind would.

Tomatoes are not pollinated by bees, unfortunately. They are wind pollinated nightshade. Shaking them is how I release pollen from the flower. The toothbrush will work also because it will release the pollen like wind would.

Up until two years ago bees pollinated my tomatoes. It isn't likely that only wind pollinates tomatoes. I'm sorry, I know you have a goodly amount of knowledge in plants, but bees do pollinate tomatoes. Especially where there is no wind. Inside commercial greenhouses for example. Bees pollinate anything they can find. check this wiki link HERE. A list of crops pollinated by bees.

WJ

I wouldn't be able to know for sure on tomatoes at my place, the danged critters get to them before they get big enough to eat. :laughtwo:
Next year there's going to be a netting of some kind around my veggie garden.

I think you are both right:
Bees can pollinate the tomato plants, but it is a secondary pollination. The main is wind and self pollination. The shortage of bees seems to be in the Honey bees;

Honey bees are the bees suffering from CCD (colony collapse disorder). But honey bees have no interest in tomato blossoms and do not visit or pollinate them.
Bumble bees collect pollen from tomato blossoms and, in doing so, aid their pollination by a process called sonication. When they alight on a tomato blossom they change their wing beat frequency from the one they use in flight to one which more effectively shakes pollen loose.

Vibration from other sources, such as wind, helps pollination of tomatoes too. Tomatoes are self pollinating. Anything which causes the pollen to drop helps them to pollinate themselves.

Hope everyone is staying warm today! Our morning started out in the 50's but we're dropping steadily now.

Love the education I always get reading your Journal Cannafan :cheesygrinsmiley: Here comes winter...Just chiming in on the cold LOL

:peace:

You got that "chiming" right. Will be chiming Christmas bells soon. LOL

We're currently getting an edjumikation on owls and foxes on the seasons thread. Just posted a video there you might enjoy:

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/beauty-changing-seasons-59.221970/post-2285346

I'm heading in to collect the last of the pollen. I won't need near what I have collected, so I will be able to turn off the T5 lamp and save some energy for a while.

Alrighty, time for a vote. I have two plants in early flower in the grow room, THC Bomb and Delicious Cotton Candy.

My pollen is from a cross of White Widow and Master Kush. The WW x MK plants are showing dominant Sativa traits in how tall they are and Indica traits in the fullness of the leaves. Also, the test on the buds with some regular smokers were that it was a very good high and kicked butt, no couch lock.

So, If I were going to pick a branch to pollinate from the THC Bomb, or the DCC...which would you vote for and why?

:cheer:

If I have any of that backwards, let me know. LOL

I know I'm too late now, but why not pollinate a single bud on both? :)

Hi Canna,

What do you think of the T5 for veg? I have 3 LED's and am thinking what a waste to use these expensive lights for veg instead of flower.

Also, what do you think of the power draw of a T5 (negligible?) and how many bulbs do you have in yours to veg how many plants?

Thanks!

Hi Ya Shawnee. Great questions. :)

I really like the T5 for veg stage because it has two switches, one uses only 4 bulbs and the other uses all 8. I could really have gotten by just using the 4 bulbs stage through the whole veg period. The light spread was enough for 3 plants. But more than that (I had 5 in there) then I needed the 8 bulbs. It only uses 200W for the 4 bulbs and of course 400W for all 8. The plants seemed to do just great with it, they do throw off some heat but I kept a small fan clipped to the side bar blowing up toward the bulbs.

Now, If I had more than one LED unit I would probably have used one in the veg room for the electric reasons and the less heat during the summer months...and the little space it requires to hang it. The T5 unit is long, and heavy. And the bulbs can be expensive too.

One thing that I need to think about here, and you possibly..due to our location and the winters, is that the T5 is going to help me retain heat in those rooms. The LED's don't throw a lot of heat. I battled some pretty cold below zero weeks last winter and one of my plants actually turned purple. It was pretty...but knowing why it did it was not comforting. LOL I don't want to heat the plant rooms with the wood stove because it's a very dry heat and then I would have to worry about enough humidity in the rooms.
I hope that makes sense. ;-)

How many plants do you plan to start with?

I second the vote for T5s in veg.

My panels are like Canna's (8 lights with 2 switches). I love them. When I first put the clones into the trays, I only use half the lights. Once I know they are established (1-2 days), I turn on the rest. The reason I like the T5 is I can get them much closer. When you put your LEDs too low, the light does not spread wide enough. T5s throw the light everywhere. Are LEDs more efficient? Probably. If you want to veg short plants to later go under stronger lights, then I think T5s are ideal. I have 2 LED panels available right now, but I prefer the T5s for veg. YMMV of course :winkyface: If you have heat issues, then LEDs could be a better option.

Canna, I thought I quoted the shot of the trichomes on the male flower, but I guess not. That was a cool picture! I didn't know they had trichomes.

Thanks for the input, Hiker, I appreciate. Now I'm waffling again toward the t5. It's all good!

...2c...

I reakon t5 or CFL of some description for veg, and I'm leaning toward LED for flowering if you spend the appropriate money for the

expectation :)

Good morning everyone :)

10-4 Tassie, I hear ya!

HI everybody! :)

I appreciate your thoughts on the T5 Hiker. And you are right, we can get the plants much closer to the light without losing much of it. I have heard that people have burned the plant tips with the LED lights, I haven't had that happen...yet. LOL I've had plants actually touching the T5 bulbs and not burned them....yet. :laughtwo:

And what a "DUH" moment when I read your suggestion of trying to pollinate one bud from each! I might just do that. I will still pick out two branches from the THC Bomb though. I think I'm going to enjoy that one. :thanks:

So, we are now all done with the male plants except for juicing them up. I cut them up this morning. They were good lil' boyze. Well, they weren't little by any means. Basketball player tall dudes.
:rip:

Hi Canna, Tassie, & Hiker,

T5 it is, folks....I'm just a Bozo on this bus and you all have more experience than me...so thanks for the guidance!

Canna, how are you juicing your plants with what machine? When I lived in Cali I was way into juicing wheat grass....had to have a very special slow process juicer, which I still have....about an ounce of that chlorophyll laden elixir on a daily basis was enough to cure cancer...I saw it with my own eyes at the Hippocrates Institute in San Diego. Do tell!

Hi Canna, Tassie, & Hiker,

T5 it is, folks....I'm just a Bozo on this bus and you all have more experience than me...so thanks for the guidance!

Canna, how are you juicing your plants with what machine? When I lived in Cali I was way into juicing wheat grass....had to have a very special slow process juicer, which I still have....about an ounce of that chlorophyll laden elixir on a daily basis was enough to cure cancer...I saw it with my own eyes at the Hippocrates Institute in San Diego. Do tell!

Hi Shawnee. :)

I have the magic bullet system that I use most of the time, but you can do it in a blender too. Here's a how-to I ran into a while ago that should give you some good ideas:
I don't think the link will be allowed here, so if you do a google search for "Cannabis drink your medicine a poor mans guide to juicing" you will find the page that shows it in detail.

Here's the basic how to: (There are other methods using fancy juice extractors, but this is one to use for just basic equipment around the house)

Poor Man’s Juicing 101

Step 1

Remove stems. Rinse, soak, and rinse leaves again. (I soak overnight if leaves have been sprayed.)

Step 2

Add one heaping handful of leaves to blender.

Step 3

Add one cup of juice or water.

Step 4

Blend to “liquefy.”

Step 5

Strain into a container using a sieve.

Step 6

Store juice in glass jars. Juice will keep for a few days in the fridge.

Step 7

Freeze in ice cube trays or plastic containers, wrap in plastic and store in freezer for several weeks.

:circle-of-love:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Holy cow, wind whistling the windows tonite....shades of the cold winter to come, UGH!

I never guessed the pollen would be a pure white!

And everywhere should be legal! I can't imagine a valid argument against the medicinal qualities of marijuana. Especially in the case of children with seizures, the results are astounding! Not to mention it has very little repercussions, if any at all.

I never guessed the pollen would be a pure white!

And everywhere should be legal! I can't imagine a valid argument against the medicinal qualities of marijuana. Especially in the case of children with seizures, the results are astounding! Not to mention it has very little repercussions, if any at all.

Hi Timmy,
The pollen is actually a light yellow color. That whiteness is probably the fluorescent light altering the color. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom