Catman's Closet - Bag Seed - LED Grow — First Grow - 2014

Your gonna have to find a hermaphrodite plant to get feminized seeds. Otherwise its going to be the 50/50 for females. Catman, there is a good design for a carbon filter in the DIY section. It's made out of a large soup can and works as good as a commercial carbon filter. Check it out ;)

why cant you use collide silver one stem to make a male which will have pollen sacks but be female. plant.
wont that be technically a hermaphrodite.

least that is what im understanding to make femilized seeds. your turn one stem into male (herma) and when pollen seeds are produced it will give off all female pollen from the female plant.

I prob need to go back on C's thread n read more.

why cant you use collide silver one stem to make a male which will have pollen sacks but be female. plant.
wont that be technically a hermaphrodite.

least that is what im understanding to make femilized seeds. your turn one stem into male (herma) and when pollen seeds are produced it will give off all female pollen from the female plant.

I prob need to go back on C's thread n read more.

I've not been able to find 30.+ ppm solution. The one attempt I made at trying to make it failed. I wasted a plant because I was afraid to smoke it. If you find 30.+ ppm let me know! I wouldn't mind trying again.

Your gonna have to find a hermaphrodite plant to get feminized seeds. Otherwise its going to be the 50/50 for females. Catman, there is a good design for a carbon filter in the DIY section. It's made out of a large soup can and works as good as a commercial carbon filter. Check it out ;)

Hey thanks a lot BarnacleBill - There is a LOT of good DIY info about carbon filters and also something about using ONA, which I have seen around old offices before - I have a lot of good options now thanks!

:thumb:

Also, I'm not near you guys in feminizing plants or anything, but I actually used colloidal silver for myself as an antibiotic. I bought it online from a reputable company. It's expensive, but it sounds like you guys only would need a little bit and you wouldn't have to go through making it...?

So some changes are: I bought a small fan for Hazel so he could gain some strength, and I raised up the LED before work so it continues to be about 21 in over head. The topping I did on him yesterday didn't seem to kill him LOL and when I got home form work he actually looked pretty good. Soil is still moist.

Still seems slow going - but what do I know?

1_1_13.JPG

1_2_14.JPG

1_3_13.JPG

Still considering seed options for adding to this closet grow, and planning a reorganization of this area.

:slide:

Looking good man. Give it a few days and you should start to see the beginnings of 4 nice tops. Do you plan on topping again?

Hey thanks BuckSwope - I came to upload some pictures and do an update. Tell me what you think.

I was planning on topping again, but I am sort-of wondering about my next step now. I want to order a couple autoflowers but I want to find out if this plant is male first.

If it is a female I'll keep topping and letting it get bigger hoping for a decent result.

1_1_14.JPG

1_3_14.JPG

1_4_15.JPG

1_6_3.JPG

1_2_15.JPG

Update on two topics:

1. Well, the topping seemed to work out just fine. After a couple days I also transplanted Hazel in to his last pot. I took advantage of this to also work in additional perlite into the soil this time. I moved the light up to 24 in now as Hazel was having difficulty making it through 18 hrs without the leaves showing some stress. Today I finally got a timer for the LED. I had been doing well manually achieving 18/6 schedule, but some nights it was hard staying up late enough, so dropped the ball on consistent a light schedule a few times.

So, on this first update point I have learned that I'll get a different soil if it is available. The LED definitely allows the soil to stay moister longer, and the soil I bought "helps lock moisture in." I've moved away from over watering, but I still don't think I need amended soil to keep in moisture with this LED. I'm glad I finally got a timer. I'm looking to save money because I want to purchase some seeds before my first paycheck...

2. I finally used the powdery gift from my Old Friend in the Big City. I did indeed go with the scrambled egg idea. I prepared the gift by decarboxylating it before making dinner. This was a little iffy because there is conflicting education regarding this process, but since this is a grow journal I'm just moving on. After decarboxylating, I sauteed 1/4 teaspoon in plenty of butter on low/medium heat for as long as I could. I just dumped a couple eggs in there without straining the butter, got toast and juice and waited. 2 hrs later It began to take affect and by 3 hours I was having a really noticeable, comforting body affect and some peace in mind.

Then I put a couple hits in my cigarette and went for a walk. :smokin:

So, the 15+ year dry spell is over. I am comforted by this experiment as it allowed me to see I am on the correct path. I took less than half of my usual pharmaceuticals, felt better than if I had taken them, and slept better than I had in a long time.

:circle-of-love:

This is one reason I am now very much more interested in autoflowers. If this shake can give me this result, I can't imagine the results from a strain high in CBD.

:Namaste:

Hey thanks BuckSwope - I came to upload some pictures and do an update. Tell me what you think.

I was planning on topping again, but I am sort-of wondering about my next step now. I want to order a couple autoflowers but I want to find out if this plant is male first.

The new growth from topping is looking great. Let those grow for at least another 7-10 days to branch and develop more before you top again. Unfortunately, you're not going to find out the sex until you flip your schedule over to flower. Sometimes you may be able to spot pre-flowers during veg, roughly around the 5 week mark is when maturity may show depending on strain. If you want to guarantee you get females, you can grab clones at a dispensary, or order feminized seeds or autoflowers from any reputable seed bank. Autoflowers are good if you want a more hands off approach with a quick turnaround time from seed to harvest. I wanted to have more control for my first grow so I went the feminized seed route. They're a little more pricey than regular seeds, but well worth it IMO.

Congrats on breaking the 15 year dry spell catman12.

Question, why are you thinking autoflower? Any particular advantage you find attractive?

The new growth from topping is looking great. Let those grow for at least another 7-10 days to branch and develop more before you top again. Unfortunately, you're not going to find out the sex until you flip your schedule over to flower. Sometimes you may be able to spot pre-flowers during veg, roughly around the 5 week mark is when maturity may show depending on strain. If you want to guarantee you get females, you can grab clones at a dispensary, or order feminized seeds or autoflowers from any reputable seed bank. Autoflowers are good if you want a more hands off approach with a quick turnaround time from seed to harvest. I wanted to have more control for my first grow so I went the feminized seed route. They're a little more pricey than regular seeds, but well worth it IMO.

Thanks BuckSwope - My plan was to go the feminized seed rout, maybe take a clone from what I like, but I knew I wasn't very good with plants so this first grow is my dry-run with bagseed from my friend. I almost killed it a few times I so I figure the stress from that may turn it male? Maybe that's not right?

Anyway, yeah - Auto flower turn around time is what i'm interested in right now :)

Congrats on breaking the 15 year dry spell catman12.

Question, why are you thinking autoflower? Any particular advantage you find attractive?

Thanks Seraphim! It was a good experience! :Namaste:

I'm thinking of autoflowers because:

1. They don't need 12/12 and that leaves options to have veg/clone development/sprouting in my same small space

2. My space for growing will remain SMALL until such time as I move. I hear autoflowering plants are notoriously small (?)

3. And, turn around time. I will need to grow my own and have been motivated by my 'experiment' gift :love: I need the sleep. I need to get off these pharmaceuticals and I need the peace.

But, I hear Autoflowering plants can have weird problems. I read about that, but I honestly forget what they are. I know production can be really low, but also do they sometimes grow mutated or something?

I also am apprehensive about having seeds delivered to me from another country through the mail. Guess "the other kids are doing it" so....:straightface:

Thanks BuckSwope - My plan was to go the feminized seed rout, maybe take a clone from what I like, but I knew I wasn't very good with plants so this first grow is my dry-run with bagseed from my friend. I almost killed it a few times I so I figure the stress from that may turn it male? Maybe that's not right?

Anytime man! I hear you. I went with the free seeds I received from Herbies just in case I ended up murdering my girls. Severe stress could cause a plant to hermie, but if I'm not mistaken, it's more prone to happen during flowering so chances are you're just fine. :smokin:

yeah I had one hermie on me from heat stress. too me forever to figure out girl or boy.
two extra 2-3 weeks to notice. it was male whole time.

OK I understand and that makes sense. The single grow area does sound attractive. And if you want to keep them small, this is also true, although I have seen some 'autoflowers' that were as big as normal indoor grown plants. Keep the container small for a small plant.

I am doing auto flower for the first time (always been curious and knew I would try it sometime). My auto came in the form of free seeds from a seed order to a UK seed bank. ;) So it made it a lot easier to try it. I have also heard about the mutations. The auto that I am growing now does have some peculiarities that I have noticed. But nothing drastic thus far, although she's barely 2 weeks old today.

OK I was just curious because I have played around with that thought too and decided to go photo-period for my own reasons. Mainly because I want to be able to top, clone, veg and train as long as I want.

Best of luck to you Sir Catman12!

I'm thinking of autoflowers because:

1. They don't need 12/12 and that leaves options to have veg/clone development/sprouting in my same small space

2. My space for growing will remain SMALL until such time as I move. I hear autoflowering plants are notoriously small (?)

3. And, turn around time. I will need to grow my own and have been motivated by my 'experiment' gift I need the sleep. I need to get off these pharmaceuticals and I need the peace.

But, I hear Autoflowering plants can have weird problems. I read about that, but I honestly forget what they are. I know production can be really low, but also do they sometimes grow mutated or something?

I also am apprehensive about having seeds delivered to me from another country through the mail. Guess "the other kids are doing it" so....

OK I understand and that makes sense. The single grow area does sound attractive. And if you want to keep them small, this is also true, although I have seen some 'autoflowers' that were as big as normal indoor grown plants. Keep the container small for a small plant.

I am doing auto flower for the first time (always been curious and knew I would try it sometime). My auto came in the form of free seeds from a seed order to a UK seed bank. ;) So it made it a lot easier to try it. I have also heard about the mutations. The auto that I am growing now does have some peculiarities that I have noticed. But nothing drastic thus far, although she's barely 2 weeks old today.

OK I was just curious because I have played around with that thought too and decided to go photo-period for my own reasons. Mainly because I want to be able to top, clone, veg and train as long as I want.

Best of luck to you Sir Catman12!

Thanks for the best of luck - I need it!

I'm going to keep an eye on your autoflower...And, if Hazel is indeed a female (still a 'He' in my mind) but if I do have a female then I'll continue to top and keep her in veg if I have autoflowers growing. The LST/Fluxing looks cool - I can see the advantages - I am nowhere near that point in my ability!

If I get to the point where I actually harvest something I'll take a look at adding to my skill set lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

Speaking of getting a mutant from autoflower seeds. Turns out my automatic is also a mutant. I need to keep a close eye on it now in the event it turns hermaphrodite. Don't even know if I want to take the chance.

Speaking of getting a mutant from autoflower seeds. Turns out my automatic is also a mutant. I need to keep a close eye on it now in the event it turns hermaphrodite. Don't even know if I want to take the chance.

I don't have enough experience to know a damn thing - but I would be tempted to see how far you could let it grow. You may be surprised?

Back
Top Bottom