Rastas' First Grow

I really don't see a problem starting them out in a big pot, from jiffy pellets I put mine straight in 4.5 gallon pots and they seem fine besides my PH levels. I am a noob though, but they were never at risk of being root bound.

From my readings, the 'how-to' posts are all about maximum yield and high quality.

A big pot too soon makes it more difficult to train the roots and effectively water the plant.

It will still grow though in a too big pot. J

Thanks guys. I guess now that I have something growing I can start reading and watching videos on topping and fimming. I'm not sure whether I should touch anything as I'm so new. I have a SOG net I was just going to go with this as opposed to any training in case I muck it all up. But I know what will happen once I dive into the world of training your plants.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey Rastas, still looking healthy over here. Some plants really seem to stay short for the first little while and eventually they will blow right up, especially in the flower stretch. If you go back and look at my auto's, they were tiny 4 weeks in and flower hit then they took right off. I'm sure they will grow just fine for you :)

If you are looking to FIM or TOP your plants be sure to check out those tutorials by Snidrajsed in my signature below :)

Judging by this photo of my SS, would you FIM/Top etc this early on. I can't believe how they're coming along!

420-magazine-mobile1469721933.jpg

Just looking for advice. It doesn't have to be text book. What worked for you and how could you see the methods you implemented being beneficial a to my grow?

I can't help myself. I've basically got a side project running! But the SS and WW are my primary focus. JH and NL germinating but will be well behind these dudettes. They may just get put in there and veg a bit less pre flower time. I'll sort it! And if I mess it up, it's just another lesson of hundreds if not thousands I will come across investing time in this ever so rewarding "hobby".

If these Fem Seeds Co. Critical Autos look healthy they'll end up being harvested first, no matter if it's a 5g yield or 5oz.

Grow Pot Cheaply on YouTube (is he a 420 member?) always runs autos along phenos so he can continually harvest after harvest.

Thoughts my ever so intelligent and friendly 420 brothers and sisters?

Peace X

I just want to reiterate how excited I am! Disappearing for two weeks end of August - not ideal - so I may have to trust a family member to water for me. I can tell you the plant moisture check will be taking place via face time! Don't want to mess it up!!

I do intend to run this grow fairly dry given my environment. That's a big thing Grow Pot Cheaply placed emphasis on. I think I'm sweet but still experimenting with a CO2 generator. I want to integrate a thermometer and heating element controlled by a thermostat. This is to keep the CO2 producing 24/7. Most home made coke bottle CO2 bottles get too cold and stall after 12hours or so. I'll have photos up of my prototype this weekend hopefully. I have the materials minus the element.

Also, if it works efficiently I will make a video showing how I made it. It's kind of a hybrid from other relatively generic methods to make the ones you commonly see in hydro setups. But this one is designed to prolong the production of CO2. I will get a CO2 monitor to help documents the results.

Yes you certainly can top or fim that baby now. I can see the 4th set of leaves starting to poke out over top of the 3rd set. You can top or attempt to fim that 4th set or true leaves that is growing out. It's up to you whether you want to top or fim. Some say that a fim is actually more stressful to the plant than topping, but personally I would think it is more strain and plant dependent on how much stress each one can take. It is also a lot easier to train a topped of fimmed plant IMO, grows a more even canopy as well instead of having that 1 main cola stretching 6 inches or more above the lower branches.

I can't really help ya with the CO2 generator stuff either. All I know about that is you need a completely sealed grow space with proper intake and exhaust. You basically need almost perfect conditions and grow space.

Hey man.. looking good! I don't know much about growing autos.. well really nothing about autos..lol.. and to be honest I'm not very experienced as an indoor grower.. I have grown outdoors for a few years but that was a long time ago and now I'm nearing the end of my first indoor grow.. I ran a little expirament on this first run to test 3 different topping methods to try and see which worked best for me.. I did a regular topping a FIM and an uncle bens topping method.. as well as the different toppings I did LST and some super cropping on all 3.. now I found uncle bens topping combined with training worked best for me.. the plant that got uncle bens gave me 16 Colas from a single topping and training and is much larger then the other 2.. I vegged for 4 weeks then into flowering .. idk if any of this can apply to autos or not but read up on uncle bens method if your not familiar with it already cause it worked great for me!! Good luck and happy growing!!

Wowee! Looks like focusing so much on my environment is starting to pay off. Check out the growth in 6 days!

This is the Vision Seeds Super Skunk.

420-magazine-mobile1339511078.jpg

This is the RQS White Widow.

420-magazine-mobile26000451.jpg

I'm going to follow Dick's advice and top these girls tomorrow.

Here is my little buddy RQS Jack Herer just popping up to say hello too.

420-magazine-mobile1578101307.jpg

For those interested, that jar is a kombucha brew. Rather than pay for CO2 or waste time on making an enhancer, I let it brew in here. It releases a heap of CO2 into the atmosphere as the tea ferments. Plus, you can drink the brew and top it up every week so there is no waste - only reward!

Also guys, regarding the CO2 enhancer I made, it did work but I've switched to a more rewarding method now being the kombucha. I will still be getting a monitor to check the CO2 levels properly.

Wow, look at them babies! They sure have grown quite a bit since your last update. You will be glad you topped these plants, so much easier to maintain and train this way :) Cant wait to see the next update once that is done! Nice idea with the brew to by the way, creative thinking!

Updates! The WW and SS are cruising along just nicely. It's crazy to see the difference in growth from the last post. I'll keep it short, I gave the WW a small prune to remove the lower foliage. I was more aggressive with the SS because it seems to be a bit bigger and stronger. I took away a few fan leaves and plenty of the lower foliage and branches. I have some of the branches a little massage/bend and accidentally snapped one. I gave it some first aid but I doubt it will survive. It doesn't matter though because now I have a very accurate gauge on how much pressure can be places on the branches at 7 weeks. Live and learn!

So yes, 7 weeks from seeds right now. Looking to keep them veg for another 4 weeks before I flower them. They're also just starting to show sex too. Both female as expected.

White Widow

420-magazine-mobile556718533.jpg

420-magazine-mobile113644212.jpg

Super Skunk

420-magazine-mobile663638052.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2064469862.jpg

And my first attempt at pruning.

420-magazine-mobile1333477940.jpg

In the tent.

420-magazine-mobile966526290.jpg

Any input/advice/what the hell are you doing, etc. please respond!

Thanks guys :)

Wow!! Them babies aren't so much babies anymore are they!! Growing nice and fast now my friend, you are doing a great job in my books :) You're growing environment and all the research is really paying off! I bet the toppings have really helped as well! Keep up the great work over here, no criticism from me lol

Still coming along nicely guys. I'll have some photos for you soon. I'll be switching to 12/12 next Thursday and we will see where this goes.

If I get anything at all out of this grow I'll be rapt. I've learned so much thus far and can only see how much better my future grows will be.

I'm in the process of clearing a bigger space for my grows so that I can have a three light rotation.

I've got two more full spectrum 1200 watt Mars Hydro LEDs to add to the collection and a heap of other stuff too. I think I'll use them for flowering in a 5x9.

We will see, but I will continue to update as I see fit.

UPDAAAAAAAATE!

These guys are in their third week of flower now. I'm overseas, so I'm having a relative (who is ill & unable to work and will surely benefit from this herb) take care of the girls while I'm away.

I had her send me some photos as I'd only flicked them into flower mode a couple of days before I jumped on the plane.

There are a few autos in there I transplanted just before I left too. They're Bubble Kush, Bubba Yum and Critical from various breeders. They're powering along but are obviously not the focus of this grow. I just wanted to utilise the spare room to see what an autoflowering cannabis plant is and why they're different to the regular strains that require a photoperiod

Back to JH, SS and WW.

Looks like my first grow could be a great success! They're getting barely any nutrients (I'm talking 1/4 or less) and I'm watering a little bit every few days as required. I'd rather have the tiniest bit of bud at the end of my first harvest to take pride in than kill them all pretending to be a master grower just because I read some books and watched a few DVDs.

I flushed them good and proper before I left and also (very hesitantly) removed all the large fan leaves.

Here is the White Widow:

420-magazine-mobile293685790.jpg

Here is the Super Skunk:

420-magazine-mobile1786023787.jpg

Now here's Jack Herer:

420-magazine-mobile347762285.jpg

Here are my little White Widow clones. I have absolutely no idea what these will turn into, if anything at all BUT these four were my first ever attempt at cloning and I did it so half-assed.

I looked at the scraps after I pruned her the first time and thought, "They look like the little clones I've heard so much about! I should shove them in some Jiffy pellets and see what happens!"

I used nothing sterile. I did dip them in rooting gel though.

And what do you know?

420-magazine-mobile671407377.jpg

Maybe this is the ultimate cloning strain or I just had beginners luck, but I even kept one aside to "play with" as such, because that was the one I was allowed to pull in and out to see if roots were forming, stem was dying etc. and even that one had roots shooting out everywhere.

The autoflowers are powering along nicely, I think?

420-magazine-mobile1876709657.jpg

420-magazine-mobile249744524.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1147061110.jpg

Please comment whether you're on this site for the first time ever, or you're a pro giggling away at my silly excitement and noticing me make key errors that you may have when you first sprouted a seed. If so, please speak up!

To the newbies like me, I CANNOT stress enough about how LESS IS MORE. I remind myself this every time I drop the nutrients/fertilisers in my mixing bucket and even the tiniest amounts will burn some strains. One girl will look fresh and healthy, yet it's distant relative living just next door on the same diet will look like she's knocking on Death's door!

Back
Top Bottom