Coco / AK48 / SCROG

Re: Coco/AK48/SCROG

Hi kailpot, Just stopping by to say hi. Are you doing a run to waste feeding? Do you ever leach the coco? Just asking? :goodjob: :peace:

Hi kailpot, Just stopping by to say hi. Are you doing a run to waste feeding? Do you ever leach the coco? Just asking? :goodjob: :peace:

Hey CocoJoe. Yup I run to waste, watering by hand about once every 3 days. I presume leaching means flushing? If so I have flushed once, but I measured PH of runoff after the last feed and it was about 5.4. So I guess I need to flush with plain water more often. I'll probably start flushing once every 3 or 4 feeds from now on to prevent any nute lockout from low PH levels. Cheers for stopping by! :Rasta:

DAY 41 Veg

Time for a wee photo upday since I was bored and also to show how fast the ladies are filling out. I reckon they like being man handled! :cheesygrinsmiley: Have got to tuck and start training now which is great...I love thinking about where its all gonna go on the screen. Especially nice today after I found a wee bit puff I never knew I had! :bong:
Gave the ladies a good flush with plain PH'd water until the runoff was the same as what was going in PH + EC.

As you can see from the gauge the night time temps around 14.5C/58F and the daytime temps get too 28C/82.4F.

Day_41_Tent_shot.jpg

Day_41_Side_shot.jpg

Day_41_Top_shot.jpg

Awesome grow kailpot...the greeness of the leaves tell me they love what you are doing to them.

I am in the process of moving from WW and Strawberry Cough across to AK47 and AK48 (with a little cross breeding in the middle), so i am interested in how your plants go. I was wondering how long after first soaking the seeds do you think you could take 4 cuttings yet still leave enough on the mother to allow her to flower sufficiently for a dozen seeds?

I too use coco, but with 50% perlite. Great buffering for pH. I have the system autowater 3x a day from reservoir. Tested this media vs hydroton and there was no difference. The thing i like with the coco is that i can put it in the compost, cause getting rid of hydroton was the most stressful part of the whole grow process.

I am in the process of moving from WW and Strawberry Cough across to AK47 and AK48 (with a little cross breeding in the middle), so i am interested in how your plants go. I was wondering how long after first soaking the seeds do you think you could take 4 cuttings yet still leave enough on the mother to allow her to flower sufficiently for a dozen seeds?
Hey Jamahl, thanks for checking out my journal and for your words of encouragement! :peace: I've read lots about Strawberry Cough and will be trying that strain on my next grow! :yummy:Sorry. but I've never made seeds, so can't answer your question. If you look at my photos you might be able to get an idea of the size at different stages.

The thing i like with the coco is that i can put it in the compost, cause getting rid of hydroton was the most stressful part of the whole grow process.
I reused Hydroton many years ago the last time I grew in Hydro.

Oh yea Right ON!! Nice screen there. The gals are going to love it!! Well, mebbe not love it, but we all sure will!! Looking good. Nice craftsmanship on the screen...Should support a lot of weight! Is it heavy enough to hold down the plants or do you have it anchored in some way? Keep up the good work.

Hey Grooster The screen is weighted with a wire and weight suspended from the middle. This should give it a slightly concave screen making the edges higher to match the light output and hold the screen in place. Cheers for the compliments on my screen...just as well you can't see it close up, but it should do the job nicely! Cheers Buddy! :Rasta:

Ah yea very good design Kailpot. You have thought of everything haven't you!? Keep up the good work and the good updates.

L8ER

Ok, needing a little help from any experienced scroggers or LST'ers out there! So far while training I have only really been moving the lower branches radially away from the centre, thereby creating a more open center. The main branch has been bent 90 degrees obviously to fit under the screen but no other branches have been bent 90 degrees. Do I need to be using tie-downs to bend the lower branches 90 degrees and create offshoots from them resulting in more budsites? I had planned to just keep moving the lower branches more to the edges of the screen and then bend them over, but am getting a bit worried that if I do that I might run out of room when they stretch? Should I instead be bending the lower branches 90 degrees where they would naturally reach the screen and then training the offshoots from there? I hope this all makes sense. I have been reading heaps about scrogging and there seems to be so many different opinions on how to do it that I'm confused! :scratchinghead: Thanks in advance for any help offered. :peace:

Sorry bro, I have no experience with the scrog method. But onthe420train seems to have it right. I decided not to do a screen this time. I might try it next time. I still vegged 5 weeks (+one for the clone to root). So six weeks veg.

Look at Munki's Scrog journal hes done amazingly well.

L8ER

Cheers for the help guys! :thanks:Ye Munki's grows are awesome. I just got a bit concerned after reading his journals and noticing he used string to tie too....anyway no need to panic, my girls are beginning to create lots of branches and I'm gonna have heaps of budsites. I'll be keeping them in veg until they fill up the screen about 60%. I figure since they are little bushy ladies they probably won't stretch too much. ;)

I figure since they are little bushy ladies they probably won't stretch too much. ;)

kailpot, assuming can get you in trouble. I typed out a long post to your thread, and hit submit, and got bump off of the site. It's ok you don't need my help. :peace:

Day 48 Veg

2.5ml/lt Canna Coco A+ B
2.5ml/lt Cannazym
EC1.3 PH6.0

Came back after a few days away and the girls are looking mighty fine!:smokin:
They are growing way faster than I thought, so I've decided to flip the switch tomorrow!:cheer:

kailpot, assuming can get you in trouble.

Too true, I would rather under-fill the screen and get good bud, than overfill and get a bunch of popcorn! I also don't know the strain and its my first scrog so I'll play safe. Cheers for making the effort to help!

Here are some pics before.....
Day_48_Veg_Top_Untrimmed.jpg

Day_48_Veg_Side_Untrimmed.jpg

.....and some and after I got to work with a nice sharp, clean razor blade. I will give them another trim a week into flower so as not to stress them too much. I also left a couple of little branches on in-case I decide to take cuttings. Check out the truck on "Big Aggie".:grinjoint:
Day_48_Veg_Top_Trimmed.jpg

Day_48_Veg_Side_trimmed.jpg

Day_48_Veg_Side_trimmed_2.jpg

Day_48_Veg_Stalk.jpg

As alway your comments and advice are much appreciated! :peace:

Super nice clean setup.

re the how to train. That's basically up to you. I have done a few scrogs and the biggest thing is to make sure you don't pinch a budsite in the wire.

The super duper way to fill the screen is:

As the tops get big enough, put the growth and the first two leaves through. This will keep you from pinching a budsite.

Then, as the new branches reach, pull the old ones back out and move them to the next hole further from the stem, and put the newer shorter ones in the gap. So basically you should have like a candelabra type thing going, with all the growing tips poking up through facing straight up. And all the tops should be at about the same height.

When that row is finished, move to the next. Keep this up until about 2/3 of the scrog is filled. When its 2/3 full then throw her into 12/12 and the stretch will fill the rest. During stretch it gets a little more complicated. There you will likely have to weave some. When weaving - again make sure not to pinch a site, and just try to weave the growth so that you end up with a bud in each hole.

As to how to deal with the cola - again - up to you. Some like to weave it, some like to grow it under the screen until the end of stretch then let it go.

That's it!

The hardest part is knowing your strain. When to time things, and how much room to leave for the next phase.

You're off to a great start!

+reps for another great scrog!

edit: ps - if you break a branch - Don't Panic. Just get some tape and make a splint. Tape up the break and the plant will heal itself.

The super duper way to fill the screen is:

As the tops get big enough, put the growth and the first two leaves through. This will keep you from pinching a budsite.

Then, as the new branches reach, pull the old ones back out and move them to the next hole further from the stem, and put the newer shorter ones in the gap. So basically you should have like a candelabra type thing going, with all the growing tips poking up through facing straight up. And all the tops should be at about the same height.

When that row is finished, move to the next. Keep this up until about 2/3 of the scrog is filled. When its 2/3 full then throw her into 12/12 and the stretch will fill the rest. During stretch it gets a little more complicated. There you will likely have to weave some. When weaving - again make sure not to pinch a site, and just try to weave the growth so that you end up with a bud in each hole.

Cheers Whisky Papa, you have made a real nice explanation of the mechanics of a scrog. Thanks for taking the time to do that! I'm sorted now. Thanks to all the helpful folks at 420 for the great advice, I think I'm on the way to a good grow now:thanks:

very nice. I'm diggin the scrog method- I just flipped mine to 12/12-9 weeks total veg.Lookin mighty fine here man- I think the chicken wire will be a go for mine next time-this bamboo I'm using is going to be a maintenance nightmare, the plants are already warping it and constant zip-tying seems to be the only remedy.Keep it light and easy my friend, and cant wait to see this beast hit 12/12.

Cheers Whisky Papa, you have made a real nice explanation of the mechanics of a scrog. Thanks for taking the time to do that! I'm sorted now. Thanks to all the helpful folks at 420 for the great advice, I think I'm on the way to a good grow now:thanks:

You're most welcome. I'll be excited to see this bad boy fill up. Also, I KNOW you are on the way to a good grow!

:nicethread:

Back
Top Bottom