Colorado High - Soil - CFL - Super Skunk - 2013

do not give up on the little ones
if they don't make it i vote just go with the ones that do and save the 4 seeds
happy holidays
:xmas:
take care and good luck

I'm sprouting under 24/7 for a week or 2, when sprouting is complete, I'll switch over to GLR. Since I'm in a relatively high temps/RH environment, I want to it stable throughout the entire day to minimize stress on the seedlings amd sprouts and to reduce condensation that would occur when the lights are off.

Day 18 since the start of germination and nothing's really changed. Two seedlings are doing quite well but the other four have failed to thrive. They were on the verge of popping and growing when they simply just stalled. One expired due to damping off, the other three looked like they were soon to follow suit. No amount of light, temperature, humidity, water, nutrients, molasses, etc. could get them kick started. I decided to stop waiting for them and just go ahead with the two survivors. I transplanted them into 5 gallon pots and gave them a good feed of D&S Growology System Step 2 and molasses, here is a picture of D&S Step 2 -

DSCN20276.JPG

Here are the two seedlings in their new pots -

DSCN20286.JPG

Here are a couple of close-up shots of the seedlings -

DSCN20296.JPG

DSCN20302.JPG

I'm going to give them a couple of days at 24/7 to get acclimated to their new home and then I will switch to GLR. This is going to be a bit of a risky grow since odds favor only one female at best and there is about an equal chance I have either two females or none. I will definitely use LST to try and increase the yield, not sure about any HST-(topping, FIMing, etc.) yet.

the plants look healthy so the batch is probably good. throw em in the soil and put em by the windowsill so they dont dry up fast

i usually nuke my soil, till it up, and water it with a super like biobizz mix to get some plant sugars and hormones and and stuff on the seed

plant 2-3 sizes of the seed deep

While I'm trying to figure out how I want to approach LST with these babies, I was thinking about tie downs. I have the lip/rim around the pot but I don't want to permanently modify the pot in any way. I remembered that I had some 6"x1" fabric/sod staples which are made out of some form of steel, it does react to magnets, but which also rusts after extended periods in the soil, like over the course of the summer growing season, 4-6 months. It doesn't disintegrate or anything, in fact I've had some out in the flower bed holding down some drip hose for a decade or so and it is holding up quite well, however the surface of the staple does rust when in contact with the soil.

I was thinking about using them, in addition to using the pot lip/rim, as tie downs for my LST but was concerned about the rust issue. From my observations, the rust pretty much stays on the staple, not much is actually transferred into the soil. I would only use them for one indoor grow after which they would get moved outdoors permanently. Could/would the surface rust significantly mess up the plants/soil in the ~4 months of grow time? Would any of you use something like this for your plant training?

rust is just iron and shouldn't harm the plants. I used a hot nail to poke holes in some pots. you can use a trellis net. I like to shake plants until they spread out and look limp they bounce back in a few hours and the canopy stays more open, and I like to pinch and bend the faster tops. I believe the shaking represents high wind which indoor plants don't get.

ahhh the trials and tribulations...
i cannot say why some failed but i assure you it happens to almost all of us
i currently have one girl going while i started with twin girls
somehow i managed to let one die, same lights same medium same environment same strain
didn't matter the one just didn't hold up
as for the rust i used and still do some, garden stakes, they look like giant staples, for anchors
always seemed to get a bit crusty. i never had adverse effects, but i plan to do what
the previous poster mentioned and make holes around the edges of my pots for future use
hang in there colorado
happy new year
take care and good luck

I know you don't want to permanently modify the pots, but I have noticed with those black pots and 5 gal buckets alike, a hole drilled along the rim of the pot works perfect, with some rubber coated garden wire, or my new favorite, dollar store fuzzy pipe cleaners (100 for a dollar oh yea). You can space the holes out every few inches if you really want to get into some mad lst when those branches start to fill in. Happy new years CH hope you had a good time!! :joint: CA

Back
Top Bottom