Cooking with The Chronic

I'll tell you that I'd never use fans for topicals. I aim for a minimum of 15mg/ml THC for topicals and there's no way to hit that with fans
Thanks! My wife has been nagging for me to make some topical for her... That will be my next adventure. I'll be picking your brain, for sure!

Instructions I wrote a while back:

Click the link and save the file to your computer as an Excel file. Rename it as it's read only.

If you're not doing custom blends like OldBear does, you can just use the first column, but blank out the other columns where he already has data. It works in grams and milliliters, so you'll need to convert your ounces of oil to ml.

Once you have the spreadsheet open on your computer, you start by entering the percentage of THC you think is in the material you will be using. I always use 10% because I'd rather err on the side of caution. If you know you have a high THC strain you can use a different number there. I leave the CBD % at 0 because there's hardly any in the strains I have on hand. If you have the CBD percentage, put it in!

Next you will enter the amount of material you will be using. I decarb first, then I weigh it and add it to the spreadsheet.

Next step is to figure how how much oil you will need to get to the THC concentration you want. The spreadsheet will tell you the concentration level (green boxes on the right under Dose ML) when you put in a number in the box for "Oil volume." The less oil you add, the stronger the result. Of course, you will need enough oil to soak the crumbled material, so you may have to play with that cell while you see what you can get away with. I believe that 10mg/ml is the minimum for pain relief. That can be a tough number to get to unless you grind the material, because it takes more oil to cover crumbled buds (hence it's more diluted) rather than ground ones. But grinding shears off the trichomes and they can get left behind in the grinder. Lately I've coated the grinder parts in the oil I'm using to keep them from sticking. Then I just wipe it down with my finger and add it to the oil.

For small batches I have had to run the oil twice to get the highest THC concentration I can because I hadn't want to grind the buds. When you get the Magic Butter machine, it grinds it in the oil while it's working so you can probably get away with not having all the bud covered with oil when you start. I'm going to try that next batch I make.

Questions welcome!

@Preston9mm
When you wrote
2) boxes (3oz) Jello
did you mean a total of 3 or 6 ounces?

I was about to start making it and realized I didn't know how much to use!
Total of 6 oz. Each box was the 3 oz size.
:high-five:

Thanks P, that's what I went with. Full post here so I don't have to take up this thread, but they seem to be stable at room temps here (not 94º anymore though ;)). I have to say that I HATE HATE HATE these gummy bear molds and will never use them again. I'm ordering bigger smooth-sided molds today!

With the fan leaf oil, the effective dose seems to be 3ml (using my wife as a guinea pig). That may turn out to be 18 gummies :eek: if my math is right.

Thanks P, that's what I went with. Full post here so I don't have to take up this thread, but they seem to be stable at room temps here (not 94º anymore though ;)). I have to say that I HATE HATE HATE these gummy bear molds and will never use them again. I'm ordering bigger smooth-sided molds today!

With the fan leaf oil, the effective dose seems to be 3ml (using my wife as a guinea pig). That may turn out to be 18 gummies :eek: if my math is right.

Glad it worked out! They look fantastic!
:bravo:

My last batch, I used some molds that @newty sent me. They were a little flimsy & thinner than my usual molds but were so much easier to pop em out.
I'll continue using those from now on and retire the more rigid molds I had.

:passitleft:

Yep flimsy is best! My gummy bear tray is super flimsy and those tiny things pop out fine. I just did P’s new recipe too and I’d say they slid out even better! I’m not a fan of the extra gelatin (certain textures make me vomit) LOL I think for me it was great for the tiny ones but not a big shape or mouthful! I keep mine in the freezer so I’m not too worried about them staying intact. They do look shinier and stay together better with the added gelatin and corn syrup :)
937251F7-C27B-42BF-BD57-F717E2CB7557.jpeg

Yep flimsy is best! My gummy bear tray is super flimsy and those tiny things pop out fine. I just did P’s new recipe too and I’d say they slid out even better! I’m not a fan of the extra gelatin (certain textures make me vomit) LOL I think for me it was great for the tiny ones but not a big shape or mouthful! I keep mine in the freezer so I’m not too worried about them staying intact. They do look shinier and stay together better with the added gelatin and corn syrup :)
937251F7-C27B-42BF-BD57-F717E2CB7557.jpeg
The magic mix for gelatin packs falls right between 2-3 packs. First time, I used 2 and the gummies were more "jello-like". This last run, I used 3 and they were more "swedish fish" texture.
I think the next run I will try to find the balance.
:hmmmm:

Back
Top Bottom