Creating Female Seeds Using Colloidal Silver - With High Brix

Tap water Ziggs. The article said tap water inactivated pollen.

Pollen germination is impeded by tap water. - PubMed - NCBI

Shiggity..its due to an unidentified contaminant :) "..Although the factor(s) responsible for the inhibition were not identified, the study clearly shows the presence of such a contaminant in three different Orange County (Southern California) water wells."
Pollen germination is impeded by tap water

as we know, tap water is a huge variable in growing..

Article should say, SOME tap water.. :)

If it were me I would do it now. I would clear out a random closet and keep it there.that is my own plan when I do this. I will then bring mating partners to the closet at the right time and keep them there a few days. Then I will heavily spray them down and bring them back to the flower room.

That's my plan Shig. I cleared a closet in another room and hung a P300 in there. I can quarantine in a pinch if I need to. ;)

Govt..congratulations!! thats awesome!! :thumb: I would spray a couple of more days, especially the areas that are just showing to change. Im using stronger CS and started before you, & mine have not changed so much, if at all, yet. :)

there are several things you can do:

bag the plant..throw a bag over her head..this time its ok! :rofl:
I tend towards this one: time it prior to a foliar spray.. if possible isolate the female/male..clip the male sack/nannas as theyre opening, pollenate the desired buds by placing directly on the pistils. Cover with a cup for an 1/2 hour or so..then lightly foliar spray. This will knock down the air borne pollen. Some have claimed that water inactivates the pollen..we shouldnt have any plants if water inactivates pollen., just say'n :)
-let it pollenate what it wants.. (you end up at 'GO' with Ziggy :rofl:)

Thanks Zig. I will definitely spray it for another day or two, then most likely sequester it to the isolated closet. I plan on pollinating a clone of all three phenotypes who are ending their first week of flower too.

My separation of pollen-donor and seed-host is exactly 2 weeks on the calendar, so I'm hoping in another 2 weeks when they start to make flowers in earnest my timing will prove to be good. Glad I went with 2 weeks instead of one ;)

:cool:

Having discussed what would be the most effective to use to produce male flowers on a female with a professional breeder ( you may know of him , 303 seeds) he recommended silver thiosulfate or STS for short.
Even in two part liquid shelf life is only a year or so , I recently purchased silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate in two part powder form, the shelf life is extended to 3 years.

Yes, Silver thiosulfate is the typical breeder's choice for making "self" seeds. I'll tell you this though, I doubt anything would be easier, or a more viable solution for the "4-plant" home grower than the colloidal silver process I'm using.

I'm very interested in the application of the Silver thiosulfate though, so please post your process/progress as you go. :cool:

I got the items needed to finish the isolation area on the way home yesterday, and I sprayed one more dose of the 60ppm colloidal silver this morning. From its progress the last few days, I'd estimate I have maybe a couple more days before it blows up.

Last day of spraying CS. I think these will be o.k. from here...

nanners11.jpg

nanners21.jpg

...and the seed-host clones are doing really well. They just ended week 1 of bloom. I'm running them under a lone 185w p300 light right now and they are doing fine. They'll need more horsepower in another week or two most likely, but I may simply have to wait another 3 weeks-ish to clear the tray and make room for them under the array.

nursery13.jpg

:cool:

I think it's interesting to see the nodes reverting first are the lower ones. Some of those are stacked clusters while the top-most bud sites aren't showing much at all.

Brief update on my current attempt. I've stopped spraying CS as of Thursday. It got a dose at least once/day for almost 3 weeks and 2x/day for about a week of that. The flowers have gotten noticeably larger and I felt compelled to go ahead and isolate it. I slapped up an LED and put a blackout drape over the closet opening. I also, recycled the top of a lingerie gift box to double as a potential pollen catcher.

reversal.jpg

I get the impression this plant will be dropping pollen by the end of the week... :)

So the lingerie box will bring you joy twice in its lifetime!

I just located some silver nitrate from a friend that does photography. All I need is some sodium thiosulfate (super cheap online), and I will have the means to make some silver thiosulfate solution. The twister crosses are going to pour forth from my garden like a sweet cornucopia of goodness!

Yay for twenty year old clone only strains finding a new way to live on!

I used a total of 2 oz from the bottle of 240ppm liquid solution, and not even quite all of that. I refilled the 1 oz bottle of 60ppm dilution 5 times. I'm going to try to get a few better close-ups of it this afternoon.

The seed-hosts are looking good too and look like they'll be ready to accept some pollen in another week or so as well.

Brief update on my current attempt. I've stopped spraying CS as of Thursday. It got a dose at least once/day for almost 3 weeks and 2x/day for about a week of that. The flowers have gotten noticeably larger and I felt compelled to go ahead and isolate it. I slapped up an LED and put a blackout drape over the closet opening. I also, recycled the top of a lingerie gift box to double as a potential pollen catcher.

reversal.jpg

I get the impression this plant will be dropping pollen by the end of the week... :)

Is it possible to use the silver solution to just make a plant fertilize itself as opposed to catching the pollen and brush fertilizing other plants? Like the Hermies we all hate that pop up sometimes?

It would work though the results would probably be less than desirable. You have a much higher chance of expressing recessive undesirable allelles (phenotype resulting from genotype). Self combinations tend to be weaker plants because of this. It's the ultimate in inbreeding. Much better to use another pheno of the same plant or a similar pheno from a different strain.

Breeders do self (s1) but they have a nice facility to weed out the weirdos.

It would work though the results would probably be less than desirable. You have a much higher chance of expressing recessive undesirable allelles (phenotype resulting from genotype). Self combinations tend to be weaker plants because of this. It's the ultimate in inbreeding. Much better to use another pheno of the same plant or a similar pheno from a different strain.

Breeders do self (s1) but they have a nice facility to weed out the weirdos.

This is correct.. you can pollenate itself. Ive done it :) some do this when they have just 1-2 plants of the same strain, or Ive heard, not sure if factual; when they use a very stable strain.

Back
Top Bottom