Creating Female Seeds Using Colloidal Silver - With High Brix

Sprayed 80ppm CS on 3 budding, blooming Panama(+)s, Gave them some Transplant H20
image8636.jpeg
image8635.jpeg

No nads, or nannas on my plants..

Lol,
There are two kinds of sex reversal in cannabis. Both obviously are expressions of genes that code for sex reversal. These genes must be present on either the female sex chromosome or one of the other nine chromosomes in cannabis, or they would not be able to be expressed in the female.

The first way that these genes are expressed is in a very limited form somewhere near the end of flowering. This is the "nanners" we see in buds and are the plants last ditch effort to produce offspring before dying.

The second way that we see sex reversal is the activation of these genes because of stress. Something strange happens and the plant realizes that this may be the first sign of really bad things to come. In the instinct of self preservation the plant expresses those genes and causes some male flowers to develop. This type includes, heat induced, light leak induced, crazy light schedule changes, application of silver ions, or any other stress.

Every plant has a stress tolerance level before they will go hermie. Some plants that stress level has become so low it is nonexistent. In this case we will see male flowers at the start of flowering, just from the stress of switching over to flower. Some plants seem to be super resistant to stress. Either their tolerance for stress is extremely high, or possibly there is a mutation in the genes responsible for sex reversal that inactivates the sex reversal response. Because these genes are not normally needed for survival the plant is able to survive and pass that mutation down to its offspring.

I see the misconception all the time that colloidal silver or silver thiosulfate somehow produce less hermaphoditic plants than hermaphrodites from an environmental stressed plant. The truth is that both methods will produce hermaphrodites at the same rate as their genetics provide for. The reason this misconception comes about is due to the amount of stress.

For example we have a plant that reverses sex if the temps go too high. If we take seeds produced from that plant we will have a good chance that the rate of sex reversal will be the same in the offspring.
Now take that same plant and expose it to silver thiosulfate and induce male flowers. The offspring will be just as likely to reverse sex as those produced in the first example. The key here is the genetics of the mother remain the same.

Now lets take an example on the other end of the scale. Say the plant we are concerned with will not reverse sex except under the most ridiculous amount of stress like heat for 4 weeks above 100 degrees fahrenheit. It then reverses sex and we get some seeds. The offspring produced by those seeds will have the same low chance of sex reversal as the parent. If we use silver and force sex reversal, the offspring will also have a low chance of sex reversal just like the parent. This is what I worry about with your plant ziggs. You may need to step up the silver stress. A higher concentration of silver ions may cause the stress you are looking for. People all the time argue that silver does not stress the plant. This is a heavy metal with high concentration that is unneeded by the plant for existence. It is most certainly a stress.

The key here is to know the plants you want to use for feminized pollination. Choose plant genotypes/phenotypes that produce offspring unlikey to hermie. then use those for feminized breeding and your feminized seeds will be just as unlikely to herm.

shiggity, awesome writeup!! of course silver stresses the plant..(except when the 'silver' are trichs :))
I only tried this CS on the Panamas..The Panamas Ive grown have been pretty resilient to stuff so far..I can break her!! :rofl:

Next trial will be with a brand I know works and this one too, to see whats up. ;)

Sounds like a plan, then we will know for sure. Have you checked the ppm of your diluted sample with a tds meter?

Interesting..I thought I had :)...I did with the original brand. I just checked and rechecked and tested about 5 other things...My TDS meter show the CS to be very low...non existent almost-- hmmm..
its a yellow-orange i think (colorblind) color almost like the iodine tincture, Lugols.

Man Ziggy, that sucks you had some bunk CS. It IS perishable, but I'm not at all familiar with how unstable it is. Too bad you lost that time. I find it mildly ironic that it's the reduction of lost time that's one of the driving reasons we're even doing this...lol... but good for you as you know where you're going from here.

I dipped into the lonely closet and did a double take. A few of the male flowers have popped open w00t! So I grabbed a piece of black card stock and tapped it a few times. I didn't get much, but didn't expect to so soon. Even 3 more days and many more will bloom so my timing looks good.

I will collect the pollen for the next few days then put the three surrogates in there for the weekend. I'll paint them with the collected pollen and continue to collect some over the weekend for use in future projects. Monday, they get "rinsed" with some spray and set back into the flower area.

Some of the flowers...

popped_too.jpg

popped3.jpg

The surrogates...

surrogates1.jpg

surrogates2.jpg

My first harvested feminized pollen...(a flower dropped off too...further proof it's ripening nicely)

pollen12.jpg

...and the reason I'm doing this project. Here are the three phenotypes at day 33. #2 looks like it may even be a short finisher. I doubt it will go much past 7 weeks if it makes it that far. But it's gorgeous and simply covered in resin.

L317.jpg

L224.jpg

L125.jpg

Yeah...I'm pretty stoked. :cool:

I tried a different brand of CS last time and lost a few months' time and a couple plants. I wanted to use a proven brand this time at the very least. I have all the stuff to make my own (even a pair of displaced silver earrings), but with this bottle of 240ppm I got, I doubt I'll be needing any CS for the next year or more.

You should be stoked, Gov. Fem seeds or no, BEAUTIFUL!! :bravo:

Back
Top Bottom