Curing problem - Do I need jars?

HigherTheHigh

hi everyone!

after harvesting my northern lights grow i got 1774g wet weight so im roughly looking at 12-14 oz dry weight.

iv got another 9 auto northern lights to harvest in the next few weeks.

is there any other way than jaring them to cure them?

i cant afford to buy jars at the moment so im at a bit of a loose end!

thanks everyone!

Do you have a dollar store near you? I picked up a bunch at my local Dollar Store.

Sent with my Light and Love Happy Growing

I am a newbie. But I also have been researching drying and curing cuz I'm close to harvest. I've also read that you can cure inside of Tupperware containers. Just try to keep your humidity around 62%

Sorry for so many replies LOL but if you have any glass spaghetti jars laying around or anything like that those would work great too :) as long as it's an airtight container

no the cheapest i can find is $5 each and they could only fit half oz in, id need atleast 24 of them.

i cant afford 10 never mind 24, i thought of tupper wear boxes but someone said dont use plastic tubs to cure.

You could put a want add on CraigsList. There's a lot lot people that would probably like to get rid of them for a little bit of nothing.

Do you have a goodwill or salvation army near by, I went and got about 12 of them for 5 dollars. Or check your dollar store they sell for around 88 cents.

Good Luck!!!

im pretty secluded to where i am and the nearest shops are about 15-20 miles away, i can get the seal bags.

11"x14" do you think that would be big enough for 1oz each atleast i can still open them and burp them ect.

can get 50 11x14 inch bags for $8.

if they will work they will come in handy for when i harvest my autos too.

You might approach kitchen staff at restaurants or institutions to see if they have any of the gallon size glass pickle/condiment jars...while I prefer mason jars, I have used them for some bumper crops ...just put a couple layers of wax paper over the opening before screwing on the lid,to get a good seal...works fine...cheerz...h00k... :hookah:

iv been to a few to see if i could even maby buy there pickled egg/pickle jars but apparently they just re use them instead of buying the complete thing of a wholesaler.

i will be able to afford some for the near future, do you think the bags will work? even for 5 weeks?

Bags tend to not seal very well but would be better than nothing while you wait for jars. Really hard to believe that you can't find some sort of old jars laying around somewhere though. I'd use Tupperware or plastic container/jars before bags.

I'd just fill them whatever amount leaves you room to still tumble them around a bit. Maybe 2/3. It's not super important but the more air space there is the faster they'll dry out. Especially with the large lids that Tupperware containers have.
I was thinking - free jars. A lot of the food on grocery shelves comes in jars. They all go somewhere. I have many hundreds, if not thousands, of storage and canning jars. Recycling places are full of them (harder to find the lids though). Any grandma worth her salt will have a few hundred. Second hand stores, restaurants, back alleys...
If you ask a deli or a restaurant they'd probably save you some good jars. I use large pickle jars- hold about 4 ounces, and an assortment of whatever other size jars are laying around.

I'm a little worried you're going to end up over-drying the bud. After the initial drying, as long as it's not so wet that it can go moldy, I'd just keep the plastic containers sealed most of the time and save the burping routine for when you have better containers. At least be careful.
Next time you go shopping think spaghetti sauce, pickles, olives, etc. Even the large plastic ones that mixed nuts come in- they work fine.

thanks for all the info guys! yeah im going to sort as many tubs out as i can, iv got 4 jars but they olnly hold 1/2 oz.

going to order some 5 gal jars in 5 weeks.

they have a taint of garden/hay smell at the minite, not a very strong smell buts its there and it wants to go!

Back
Top Bottom