Decoding The Holy Grail: Terpene & Cannabinoid Retention: Decarb to Extraction

Cheese,
Is this ground herbs and is it intended to be smoked or vaped?

Their website says smoke, vape, drink. It's ground up and fluffy, easy to pack, burns long, gets a nice cherry. I haven't tried it as a tea but it has great flavor. The original blend is nice too. They have liquids on their site too. The herb blends come in a tin (22g).

Be ideal to roll with, or pack your biggest bowl (and a little pinch of the good stuff).

Let me clarify something.

I took Canyon's question to mean: from this point forward will I benefit from more tests and results.

For me the answer is no. I have already benefited greatly from the methods followed and testing results posted

I've learned from the data that my olive oil decarbs and extractions work well.

That a second pass gets worth while additional cannabinoids. Running the first pass process at various time and temperatures doesn't change this outcome. I've tested them all in my cannabis kitchen.

That the leftovers contain sufficient cannabinoids to make them useful as a constant intake method. I dont mind the taste at all. Ive been doing the 2nd run with coconut oil which makes for tasty oil, and tasty bud crumble. I use this for many things.

My needs have all been met by the methods, testing, lab results explained herein.

So my opinion is that additional tests and results wont help me.

There are so many variables, including lack of precision in the lab testing itself, that having these detailed profiles isn't that helpful or necessary.

For me :goodjob:

Moving forward, there is one option for maximizing cannabinoid and terpene extractions from the plant that has not been explored.

That is what cannabinoid and terpene levels are on the leaves. Sugar leaf processing. Fresh, dried, decarbed and extracted. Will the olive oil extractions work as well on the leaves as the flowers?

I'd like to know and would run tests on myself but do not have a source for them yet.

I think people might be throwing away half or more of the medicine if they are not processing the sugar leaves in some way. Sue posted recently that some think the cannabinoids on the leaves might be better than what is on the flowers.

A teaser photo from an active grow journal:

Cheers dank. Yeah I'm trying to get as much cloudy as possible. I don't need it as a medicine...yet! I'll keep that in mind for the days when I do. I reakon there is plenty of amber on mine.
Not a brilliant photo but you can see the amber.
420-magazine-mobile1745894197.jpg

Gonna take off some today.

It may work even better if you put a jar inside of it for your bud. Then, you are using it as a heat source only, hopefully a controlled one.

On that note, I must ask what is achieved from "running it twice" that would not be achieved by simply running it longer to start with??? What really, is the difference? Is there some benefit from "letting it rest" in between??? I have learned not to assume something cannot be true just because I don't understand it. However, in this case, I can't imagine what is going on that would make that a better method.

Here are my thoughts. Regardless of the pass one temp and timeline, I still get significant cannabinoids from the second run. The lab tests confirm this.

My assumption is that at some point the ability to transfer cannabinoids from the plant and into the extraction oil slows down or stops. Rinsing with fresh oil and more baking allows me to modify the effects somewhat and also to modify the concentration, and the flavor of the extract.

People doing solvent based extractions have reached the same conclusion.

At a chemistry level I cant explain why this happens.

Moving forward, there is one option for maximizing cannabinoid and terpene extractions from the plant that has not been explored.

That is what cannabinoid and terpene levels are on the leaves. Sugar leaf processing. Fresh, dried, decarbed and extracted. Will the olive oil extractions work as well on the leaves as the flowers?

I'd like to know and would run tests on myself but do not have a source for them yet.

I think people might be throwing away half or more of the medicine if they are not processing the sugar leaves in some way. Sue posted recently that some think the cannabinoids on the leaves might be better than what is on the flowers.

How did you take that photo??

Here are my thoughts. Regardless of the pass one temp and timeline, I still get significant cannabinoids from the second run. The lab tests confirm this.

My assumption is that at some point the ability to transfer cannabinoids from the plant and into the extraction oil slows down or stops. Rinsing with fresh oil and more baking allows me to modify the effects somewhat and also to modify the concentration, and the flavor of the extract.

People doing solvent based extractions have reached the same conclusion.

At a chemistry level I cant explain why this happens.

Wait. In the second pass, are you using fresh oil or beefing up the original??? BIG difference maybe.

Im looking forward to summing this up really. It's a long dissertation and I don't type well. Im going to break it into sections...and use white space when possible. lol. Starting with decarb. Maybe it won't be so daunting like that.

I'm using fresh oil.

Ok. That's useful. We know we are not filling up the space in the oil but maybe it's like the bud problem...it's harder to get at some of the spots than others. As for always leaving 15% behind (on a good day), I think it's just about "exposing" all the thc to the oil.

The discussion here has been really robust of late! Heaps of great perspectives. I agree on one level that I can make great music without knowing the theory of music (or at least knowing some rudimentary basics and running with it from there), one can even become highly accomplished. It's also true that knowing music theory makes to possible to do more with music more consciously - to manipulate it with a fuller understanding of what it is that's going on and creating the effects you're after. As it is for music composition (I liked it when that analogy came up, so I'm running wiht it) - I think similar goes on amongst all of us experimenting with oil making and those going further trying to get into the details of it. There's certainly a need for both and indeed the most successful oils are going to come from a synergy of instinct and knowledge. A desire to know about the process of decarbing and the possibilities of terpene retention and application exists in everyone who visits this thread (more than a few times I guess) otherwise we wouldn't be here. The work that's been done has been amazing to observe so far and I look forward to more of it. I'm very appreciative of people putting in so much tome effort and funds to keep it rolling.

Does the current state of affairs indicate that the endeavour is drawing to some kind of natural end? I really don't think so. Far from it. A great deal has been learned. We all benefit from that. True scientific discovery takes time, and patience. And support. Sometimes it moves fast, sometimes it seems not to move at all. It's also alchemy that's being developed here and that sometimes involves elements and processes that seem magical and therefore understanding the processes and reasons for "success" or "failure" is elusive. Practice, enquiry, artisanry, clinical observation, scientific testing and analysis, experimentation... this is not a finite process the people who started this thread are engaged in

All this talk recently about reintegration of terpenes specific to a particular plant got me thinking a lot. I could see the perceived potential medicinal benefit of wanting to go down this path, but it seemed odd and strangely disappointing to me. While I was mulling over the why's and wherefore's of that, I was thinking about how I can vape starting at a low temp and really taste different flavours etc. and then a memory came to me of a review that Doc Bud wrote - on this site - for the Herbalizer vaporiser. Trust me folks - this is going somewhere (I hope). One of the things he described being able to do wth it, which he said gave him the most incredible medical experience he might've imagined possible (or some words to that effect) was the ability to set the device for various temperatures and have it stay there. He used the bag and the assist function to fill the bag with vapour at lower temps, closed off the bag and raised the temp to burn off some stuff he didn't want (which in his example was the THC) and then raised the temp again and used another bag to collect the CBD/N. I may have the details a bit off but it's the principal I'm wanting. WOUld it be possible to use this approach to diffuse and capture different terpenes and cannabinoids into oil seperately at different temperatures and then recombine them. Maybe that's already been talked about and tried before...

Doc's review where he describes this is here.

...just a few of my 2 cents...

:Namaste:

For about a year I had large plants crowed into a 4X6 flower room because I could not flower them fast enough. It was an out of control Borg infested nightmare. On the positive side, I would go into the flower area in the morning and take in the aromas for a few minutes. The calming effect DB describes is what I would experience. It is a calming, safe wellbeing feeling. I tried some strain specific terpene extract as dabbs chased with a small amount of good bud. The extract was in a CBD base so what I did was similar to what DB described only with a reduced dose of THC rather than omitting it.

The price of extracts is coming down rather fast. I bought half a gram of 70% concentrate for 25 dollars after discounts. Last year it was 50 for the same item. I suspect that terpene prices as strain profiles will drop rather quickly.

Two of the strains in the Combined Data sheet of the charts are of Ghost Train. Neither one is especially high in THC. Both have complex highs that have you experiencing mood and perception changes before the THC factor really sets in. The one labeled Dwarf is the better smoke. I suspect it was x-rayed too much in customs. It was slow breaking ground and matured to about 20% of the mass of the other seed. Both were cloned and the trend continued.

Both of the GTH plants contained around 15mg/g of total terpenes while the other strains we tested were around 4.5mg/g. Terpinolene and Caryophyllene were very high compared the NC and Extrame plants and accounted for most of the difference. What is interesting is the different concentrations in the two plants. The dwarf has nearly 100 times the Terpinolene content of the other plant. The d-Limonene is only about a third of the normal GTH. The Linalool concentration of dwarf is lower than any plant tested while the normal GTH is in line with the other two plants we have to for comparison.

I have a normal GTH clone in flower that I decided not to clone again. The yield and THC are too low. The midget is a stick that will amount to a few hits. I will clone it again. A friend left some seeds that are different crosses with GTH. The strain has become a pet. I may try making some seeds at some point.
I never know

For about a year I had large plants crowed into a 4X6 flower room because I could not flower them fast enough. It was an out of control Borg infested nightmare. On the positive side, I would go into the flower area in the morning and take in the aromas for a few minutes. The calming effect DB describes is what I would experience. It is a calming, safe wellbeing feeling. I tried some strain specific terpene extract as dabbs chased with a small amount of good bud. The extract was in a CBD base so what I did was similar to what DB described only with a reduced dose of THC rather than omitting it.

The price of extracts is coming down rather fast. I bought half a gram of 70% concentrate for 25 dollars after discounts. Last year it was 50 for the same item. I suspect that terpene prices as strain profiles will drop rather quickly.

Two of the strains in the Combined Data sheet of the charts are of Ghost Train. Neither one is especially high in THC. Both have complex highs that have you experiencing mood and perception changes before the THC factor really sets in. The one labeled Dwarf is the better smoke. I suspect it was x-rayed too much in customs. It was slow breaking ground and matured to about 20% of the mass of the other seed. Both were cloned and the trend continued.

Both of the GTH plants contained around 15mg/g of total terpenes while the other strains we tested were around 4.5mg/g. Terpinolene and Caryophyllene were very high compared the NC and Extrame plants and accounted for most of the difference. What is interesting is the different concentrations in the two plants. The dwarf has nearly 100 times the Terpinolene content of the other plant. The d-Limonene is only about a third of the normal GTH. The Linalool concentration of dwarf is lower than any plant tested while the normal GTH is in line with the other two plants we have to for comparison.

I have a normal GTH clone in flower that I decided not to clone again. The yield and THC are too low. The midget is a stick that will amount to a few hits. I will clone it again. A friend left some seeds that are different crosses with GTH. The strain has become a pet. I may try making some seeds at some point.
I never know

So that suggests growing GTH for the purposes of terpene capture (and maybe other particularly rich terpene profile strains). I remember now that many (most? all?) terpenes are not oil soluble but evaporative (I think this is right? help... .). I'm taking a workshop on tinctures and plant extractions in December - with a really great herbalist. I'm hoping something there will be relevant to working with cannabis. I'm interested in it for making all kinds of extracts etc from other herbs too. I'm wondering now if it would be possible to extract terpenes with these other methods myself and then reprocess the herb for oil based canabinoid extraction and then combine for 'delivery'. Maybe the process would render the herb useless... it's not something I've looked into. But I think I will, once my summer grow is in the ground.

Let me clarify something.

I took Canyon's question to mean: from this point forward will I benefit from more tests and results.

For me the answer is no. I have already benefited greatly from the methods followed and testing results posted

I've learned from the data that my olive oil decarbs and extractions work well.

That a second pass gets worth while additional cannabinoids. Running the first pass process at various time and temperatures doesn't change this outcome. I've tested them all in my cannabis kitchen.

That the leftovers contain sufficient cannabinoids to make them useful as a constant intake method. I dont mind the taste at all. Ive been doing the 2nd run with coconut oil which makes for tasty oil, and tasty bud crumble. I use this for many things.

My needs have all been met by the methods, testing, lab results explained herein.

So my opinion is that additional tests and results wont help me.

There are so many variables, including lack of precision in the lab testing itself, that having these detailed profiles isn't that helpful or necessary.

For me :goodjob:

I agree with you here. I support the ongoing process, but for me personally, the evidence I was looking for was presented. My oils are doing fine and improving as we go.

This was the first time I noticed that you do the second run with coconut oil. Hadn't thought of this possibility, but it'd make a nice oil that could be used in a brownie batch as the base oil, added to the buds needed for the pan, and it'd make the mash more palpable.

Thank you for this brilliant idea. You keep making my life easier. :hug:

I leave the sugar leaves on the buds. They assist in protecting those valuable isomers we're so fond of and have some potent essential oils on them. My very first batch of brownies after my first harvest was made with a half ounce of sugar leaves alone, and it was also my first overdose of THC. :laughtwo:

Also, I read an interview with some hot-shot extraction guys in Colorado a year or two back that mentioned their belief that the essential oils on the popcorn, or buds below the canopy, were more potent than the oils produced at the tops of the flowers. The tops of the branches hold more volume of oil, but potency can vary widely from one location on the plant to another.

And then there is the roots :)

I have a bag with all my washed and dried roots from my hempy grows. Someday I'll have a use for them. :laughtwo:

I'm using fresh oil.

How much oil do you typically use for a second run Oldbear?

Susan,
Could you track down the members who have been working with sealed containers and pressure cooker methods for decarb? I am getting close to springing for a small run and test. If I can get a best guess on time, temp, pressure along with some thoughts, it would help. I still have the origionial Nightmare C that started all of this sealed up in the fridge. Are they still working with it? The buds are a few months older but we have a full terpene profile on them.

I never know

Susan,
Could you track down the members who have been working with sealed containers and pressure cooker methods for decarb? I am getting close to springing for a small run and test. If I can get a best guess on time, temp, pressure along with some thoughts, it would help. I still have the origionial Nightmare C that started all of this sealed up in the fridge. Are they still working with it? The buds are a few months older but we have a full terpene profile on them.

I never know

Off-hand I don't know of anyone using closed containers under pressure to decarb. Shiggity may have, but I don't recall it clearly. I know of some members using pressure cookers to make FHO, and there is a thread on the use of a pressure cooker to decarb. Decarboxylate RSO In Pressure Cooker

Will that be helpful? Are you simply decarbing or making oil?

Decarb.

If one were to say, hook up a thermocouple to the Nova, one would see it spend 15 min getting up to 240f. Then, it holds 240f almost exactly for one hour. Then it spends 15 min cooling off. We achieved a 98.2% decarb with virtually no CBN. (test showed 0.06% after decarb but that mysteriously cured itself in subsequent tests.) The Nova is a well controlled environment. A must have? Well I just told you how to duplicate the results. However, I like it for the set it & forget it feature. Also, good smell control. That's a biggie for the bulk of the world.

Do it any way you want. Just tightly control that temp. YES, before everybody chimes in, there are lots of other time/temp values that will work. Just remember, it's a first order reaction all day long so the time/temp are always going to be inversely related. But this is a proven time/temp to use as a baseline.

Do I recommend the Nova? Before I answer, I am not compensated in any way. Hell, they won't even answer emails. IF it continues to run trouble free for a few years, then yes, it is worth it to me. If it burns out in 9 months, I will be making my own. (it has a 1 yr warranty but you get the idea)

I'm not saying stop experimenting by any means! This is simply a proven way to get it done. Canyon and others are experimenting with pressure for terpene retention. There's plenty of room for refinement. Remember, this plant is used in a lot of ways. Decarbing under pressure or in a vacuum is worth looking at. So, now you know what I know about that.

Back
Top Bottom