Dick23rk's Fresh Start: Mantis Nutrients Featuring MedicGrow's New Spectrum X+ 880w Light Panel

Ok, I didn't make it back yesterday for an update. I had plans on it, but got called in to work in the afternoon for a bit. Then had a few drinks outside and ended up playing crib all night haha.

So I'll be back later on this afternoon with a complete update. As for now, all that happened yesterday was feeding the potted plants and taking readings on the dwc buckets. So here's a couple pics of after feeding to hold you over til I get back with more info and some actual photos.

Good looking bunch. Looks like most settled into the quad lines.
Thanks Reave. Still working on that training, skunks seems to like it. As for the SBC's they are still pretty skinny and lanky so I haven't done them yet. The 2 bottom branches on a couple of them are also different sizes, they might get mainline because of this. The skunks can like stay quad if I don't take them for clones.

**Update Time + Picture Dump**

Hello again folks from sunny Saskatchewan!! It's 20degrees celcius and I'm sitting outside in shorts and a t-shirt sweating lol. I can't believe we are getting such beautiful weather. We could plant our garden if we knew the night time temps would stay up, we normally don't plant until the May long weekend. The frost is likely all out of the ground by now and we normally get 4 or 5 feet of it, a good rain and it will be if not already. So out here I sit with a cold drink, doobie and laptop. Hope everyone is having a great Easter weekend.

Last Night Group Feed - After Feeding

Skunk #1 - Day
So last night I gave the potted plants a good drench of nutrient mix, I didn't get any run off but the bottoms are damp. I made up 2 gallons of mix to do this, the sunshine #4 definitely holds more moisture than the promix hp. I think in the future I may mix the 2 mediums @ 50/50. Again the feed was 5ml per liter, so I used 40ml to just under 4 gallons of RO water, will be using lots once these go into 5 gallon pots.

Today I did a little more LST on these where needed to keep the top 2 mains growing straight out. The 2 lower branches are getting longer so I put a single stake on those for now to get them pushed out, branches are still pretty flimsy and stretching. Still undecided on taking them for clones.

Lets have a look at the pictures, top and side view of these ones today! Hoping to see lots of new growth over the next few days after that feed.

Sundae Banana Cookies - Day 32
As mentioned above, these plants got their feeding when the skunks did to have their full drench done. Most of them seem to be getting a little stretchy, I'm not too concerned about that yet unless they want to explode in flower. I just don't want them to get a crazy amount bigger than the skunks. We will make it work when the time comes.

Starting to get a few spots on the leaves here, I may have splashed them with nutrient mix though, so we will keep an eye on that, only on 2 plants lowest leaves right now, so nothing serious.

Not really ready to start the last on these ones yet but pretty close. The mains are pretty flimsy overall so it wont take much to bend them over when the time comes. A few more days and we will likely get them started.

Big Bang - Day 23
Still loving the dwc concept, learning lots and making lists of things to do differently next time. One of the main things I would do differently is make this a recirculated system with a main reservoir. This would make life so much easier since I have the space to put it. I'll plan something out for when these 2 are done, or dead haha.

So far it's been pretty simple, a few things I've noticed though. I'm getting a dusty film from the hydroton inside the buckets, and it stained a few of the roots so far, mainly in 1 bucket. This happened after I top fed the last top up. I rinsed the hydroton 3 times before actually starting up the buckets with the plants in there. This will get fixed when I flip to flower, I'll change out the res then and clean it out. Also noticing the extra buckets will be essential for this as well as help with taking my readings, set the plants in spare buckets while working in there.

All in all the plants growth has really started to excel, the roots are thriving in the water to far, lots of extras are starting to shoot out of the net pots as you'll see in the pictures maybe. Had the wife help me again, she held up the net pots long enough for me to get my root shots and res readings. Started taking reading with the air pump off, I turn the valve off and stick the pen in while its still mixed up, seems to be a more steady reading.

The spots seem to still be continuing on bucket 1, but my readings are within range now after topping up. My next conclusion will be that it's just low on calcium as that's what it looks like to me. I get the RO water with minerals added back in but maybe it's not enough, or their filters need changed. If it doesn't stop, then I will start adding cal/mag supplement from general hydroponics. Unsure of adding directly to the res, or just adding to the top ups, again maybe I'll check with the nute rep since we talked about this before for using RO water.

Ph/TDS/Temp
Bucket #1 - 5.6/590/18.8c
Bucket #2 - 5.75/600/18.3

Anyways that's enough about all the info here for today, lets see the pics!!

Everybody have a great Easter weekend, if you don't celebrate Easter where you're from, have a fantastic weekend regardless of a holiday or not! Take care all! Keep it green out there!

well said ,
you too my friend , live and let live , . life is too short and can be taken from us at any time ,
i have a nice toffee crisp Easter egg for tomorrow :laugh:
i have my own religion , i do not follow any i just try to be good , share , help out , be nice , give to charity, and i try to be the best person i can to others , if you can live a life given and respecting you will die with less regrets :Namaste:
:peace:

Everybody have a great Easter weekend, if you don't celebrate Easter where you're from, have a fantastic weekend regardless of a holiday or not! Take care all! Keep it green out there!
What an awesome post, from start to finish..
How jealous am I? first of all your chillin in the yard with the pooch, then you've got some killer plants on the go. They are looking amazing
Nice one mate :thumb:

Thanks @Squiggle, been a busy weekend with this weather. Even went for a load of campfire wood early this year.

I appreciate the kind words, so far so good with the plants. :green_heart:

Hey Dick23rk - so I'm an LED guy. But I am very intrigued by the MH/HPS thing, and especially after looking back through here and watching your plants develop. You're getting early pretty tight nodes which is obviously always the goal. I've often heard that especially for veg one of those or the other (not sure which) is the best veg light there is - better than LED. I've read a million debates on this. I'm curious as to your personal choice. How'd you settle on them? Care to share?

Thanks! Happy Bunny Day!

Hey Dick23rk - so I'm an LED guy. But I am very intrigued by the MH/HPS thing, and especially after looking back through here and watching your plants develop. You're getting early pretty tight nodes which is obviously always the goal. I've often heard that especially for veg one of those or the other (not sure which) is the best veg light there is - better than LED. I've read a million debates on this. I'm curious as to your personal choice. How'd you settle on them? Care to share?

Thanks! Happy Bunny Day!
I chose them for the intensity and the price compared to led. When I bought these there was only really blurple led lights on the market, or cobs, and still expensive.

Mh is what most people use in veg and then switch to hps for flower, due to the different spectrums each give off. But it is true that mh can help keep tighter node spacing, some people use them 2 weeks into flower and then switch to hps to help with the stretching.

I will be stiwching over to bigger the new style led panels eventually. There is a spectrum x coming next week from medic grow, a sponsor here. Hoping to make the complete switch eventually, more lights means more plants. I only run 2 x 15amp circuits so I need to be careful what I use for power consumption.

I chose them for the intensity and the price compared to led. When I bought these there was only really blurple led lights on the market, or cobs, and still expensive.

Mh is what most people use in veg and then switch to hps for flower, due to the different spectrums each give off. But it is true that mh can help keep tighter node spacing, some people use them 2 weeks into flower and then switch to hps to help with the stretching.

I will be stiwching over to bigger the new style led panels eventually. There is a spectrum x coming next week from medic grow, a sponsor here. Hoping to make the complete switch eventually, more lights means more plants. I only run 2 x 15amp circuits so I need to be careful what I use for power consumption.
Interesting. I wonder how well it might work to veg with Mh and bud under LED? I might have to try that next time, although I'm getting super tight nodes now with my non-sponsor new light. But I hear you on the 15 amp, and even though I don't have a lot of pot growing experience I have a ton of construction experience. Now that I use a state of the art light (680 actual wattage draw in flower, 550 in veg, full natural sunlight spectrum, etc...), and am experiencing how they use power, I believe you'll find that they are MORE efficient. My blurples (also non sponsor) are supposedly 1200 watts each. Their actual wattage draw is 286 watts, so 572 total on VEG and BLOOM. Then I have the four UFO panel lights which are only 29 watts each and the actual draw is more like 32 watts total, for a grand total draw of 604 actual watts. I also have two 5000 btu AC units on each tent. Plus four fans in each tent. Plus a humidifier. When I started I had both tents on their own dedicated 15 amp circuit. Everything I described. And guess what? The circuit that the new light is on has zero issues even at full power and the AC at full power and all fans maxed. Not one, handles it without a problem. The other tent, also beginning on a dedicated 15 amp circuit, I had to separate out the AC and the lights to two different circuits. It kept tripping on me. It's drawing LESS wattage overall, but yet IT WAS THE ONE TRIPPING. It's cuz the blurples use 10 watt, highly inefficient bulbs. They draw wonky. So my point is that I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you hopefully see that your 15 amp circuit will handle it no problem if you're using a light that isn't even out yet!

Interesting. I wonder how well it might work to veg with Mh and bud under LED? I might have to try that next time, although I'm getting super tight nodes now with my non-sponsor new light. But I hear you on the 15 amp, and even though I don't have a lot of pot growing experience I have a ton of construction experience. Now that I use a state of the art light (680 actual wattage draw in flower, 550 in veg, full natural sunlight spectrum, etc...), and am experiencing how they use power, I believe you'll find that they are MORE efficient. My blurples (also non sponsor) are supposedly 1200 watts each. Their actual wattage draw is 286 watts, so 572 total on VEG and BLOOM. Then I have the four UFO panel lights which are only 29 watts each and the actual draw is more like 32 watts total, for a grand total draw of 604 actual watts. I also have two 5000 btu AC units on each tent. Plus four fans in each tent. Plus a humidifier. When I started I had both tents on their own dedicated 15 amp circuit. Everything I described. And guess what? The circuit that the new light is on has zero issues even at full power and the AC at full power and all fans maxed. Not one, handles it without a problem. The other tent, also beginning on a dedicated 15 amp circuit, I had to separate out the AC and the lights to two different circuits. It kept tripping on me. It's drawing LESS wattage overall, but yet IT WAS THE ONE TRIPPING. It's cuz the blurples use 10 watt, highly inefficient bulbs. They draw wonky. So my point is that I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you hopefully see that your 15 amp circuit will handle it no problem if you're using a light that isn't even out yet!
Sorry I missed this, been a busy couple days.

I'd say you'd be fine doing mh then switch to full spectrum led. I used to use a 1200w blurple in veg and then hps for flower, no issues.

Yeah I started out with just 1 circuit for my room, it wasn't a problem until I wanted more lights and adding in exhaust. So I tied on to another one from the basement that's hardly used and brought it in. Was 1 for veg and 1 for flower. Now my room isn't split anymore so I use each evenly as I need.

**Update Time**

Hey everyone, back again tonight with another update. Feels like I haven't been by my own journal in forever, what a slacker :laughtwo: Been a couple busy days at work and of course the weekend was so nice I spent most of it outside, I didn't get much accomplished in the house aside from an update on Saturday. So, not that I got a whole lot accomplished tonight either but it's certainly a little time consuming once we add in the update. Now that my doobie is smoked and pictures are done uploading, let's get on with it.

Skunk #1 - Day 43
These ladies needed their panties legs adjusted this evening, nothing too serious. I was able to take a couple of stakes out (good thing, I needed them) of the pots and just move the others out farther, the top mains seems to be building up well and getting strong. The lower branches have all be pinned down just below the top 2 to make a more even canopy.
By the weekend the 2 top mains will be topped again at the 3rd node, not sure about the bottom branches yet, I wont be cloning them but may leave them as they are. By topping those 2 mains again I will get 2 more colas and it will also give the plant a chance to spread out a little more for when we up-pot before flipping to flower (date determined by dwc)
The pots are starting to lighten up again, more than the SBC's, they are ultimately drinking more due to their size over the other lanky ones. Will need another feed by Thursday evening likely.

Sundae Banana Cookies - Day 35
These lanky ladies were really in trouble tonight, they are being quite unruly and stretchy. The node spacing is well... very spaced out. For being a 70% indica, they are sure growing more like a sativa right off the hop. They all got pinned down extra far tonight, I will rig up support for them if needed once they branch out. Almost for sure I will need branch support in flower, unless they bulk up. Some of the branches are already at the edges of the pots, hopefully up-potting will come soon so I have more edge to secure them to. Flowering these is going to be interesting if they keep it up.
Top and side shots of these ones tonight for a perspective on the bondage bending angles.

Big Bang - Day 26
And last but not least, my dwc project. I have been doing a lot of brainstorming here for the future of my hydro experience. I want to make this into at least a 4 bucket (5gallon), maybe 6, RDWC. I've been looking a lot at the simplicity of the undercurrent systems, but also looked the extra plumbing to make it a waterfall system. Undercurrent still sort of has a waterfall effect when you pump back into the res/epicenter, but is that enough of a waterfall to eliminate using air stones and pump? I could run 2 water pumps and keep each line of buckets on a separate loop, use 1 res and have 2 waterfalls there. It would be more cost effective and easier than having to perfectly plumb everything for a waterfall into each bucket. But wondering if that would be enough dissolved oxygen for 18-27 gallons of water?

As for the plants themselves since I rambled on back there, they seem to be doing just fine. The deficiency issue going on with bucket 1 is still slowly creeping on, but not taking over the plant, it's still only effecting the bottom 2 sets of leaves. I will likely be adding about 100ppm of cal/mag supplement to this bucket, the other plant is not showing any signs of this issue so I'll leave it alone.
They both have a very defined look and a nice color green. Sometimes they look just a little down, but seem to be thriving none the less. Could use more oxygen, less?
Almost time for topping as well, likely be done by the weekend to get those lower branches really moving.
Lots of root action in the res, they seem to be getting tangled up in one another from the bubbles, hope this isn't an issue. There more and more popping out every couple days when I look, some are very long, almost 2'. Happy, happy, moving right along.

Ph/TDS/Temp(c)
Bucket 1 - 5.63 / 635 / 19
Bucket 2 - 5.61 / 630 / 18.6

**Update Time**

Hey everyone, back again tonight with another update. Feels like I haven't been by my own journal in forever, what a slacker :laughtwo: Been a couple busy days at work and of course the weekend was so nice I spent most of it outside, I didn't get much accomplished in the house aside from an update on Saturday. So, not that I got a whole lot accomplished tonight either but it's certainly a little time consuming once we add in the update. Now that my doobie is smoked and pictures are done uploading, let's get on with it.

Skunk #1 - Day 43
These ladies needed their panties legs adjusted this evening, nothing too serious. I was able to take a couple of stakes out (good thing, I needed them) of the pots and just move the others out farther, the top mains seems to be building up well and getting strong. The lower branches have all be pinned down just below the top 2 to make a more even canopy.
By the weekend the 2 top mains will be topped again at the 3rd node, not sure about the bottom branches yet, I wont be cloning them but may leave them as they are. By topping those 2 mains again I will get 2 more colas and it will also give the plant a chance to spread out a little more for when we up-pot before flipping to flower (date determined by dwc)
The pots are starting to lighten up again, more than the SBC's, they are ultimately drinking more due to their size over the other lanky ones. Will need another feed by Thursday evening likely.

Sundae Banana Cookies - Day 35
These lanky ladies were really in trouble tonight, they are being quite unruly and stretchy. The node spacing is well... very spaced out. For being a 70% indica, they are sure growing more like a sativa right off the hop. They all got pinned down extra far tonight, I will rig up support for them if needed once they branch out. Almost for sure I will need branch support in flower, unless they bulk up. Some of the branches are already at the edges of the pots, hopefully up-potting will come soon so I have more edge to secure them to. Flowering these is going to be interesting if they keep it up.
Top and side shots of these ones tonight for a perspective on the bondage bending angles.

Big Bang - Day 26
And last but not least, my dwc project. I have been doing a lot of brainstorming here for the future of my hydro experience. I want to make this into at least a 4 bucket (5gallon), maybe 6, RDWC. I've been looking a lot at the simplicity of the undercurrent systems, but also looked the extra plumbing to make it a waterfall system. Undercurrent still sort of has a waterfall effect when you pump back into the res/epicenter, but is that enough of a waterfall to eliminate using air stones and pump? I could run 2 water pumps and keep each line of buckets on a separate loop, use 1 res and have 2 waterfalls there. It would be more cost effective and easier than having to perfectly plumb everything for a waterfall into each bucket. But wondering if that would be enough dissolved oxygen for 18-27 gallons of water?

As for the plants themselves since I rambled on back there, they seem to be doing just fine. The deficiency issue going on with bucket 1 is still slowly creeping on, but not taking over the plant, it's still only effecting the bottom 2 sets of leaves. I will likely be adding about 100ppm of cal/mag supplement to this bucket, the other plant is not showing any signs of this issue so I'll leave it alone.
They both have a very defined look and a nice color green. Sometimes they look just a little down, but seem to be thriving none the less. Could use more oxygen, less?
Almost time for topping as well, likely be done by the weekend to get those lower branches really moving.
Lots of root action in the res, they seem to be getting tangled up in one another from the bubbles, hope this isn't an issue. There more and more popping out every couple days when I look, some are very long, almost 2'. Happy, happy, moving right along.

Ph/TDS/Temp(c)
Bucket 1 - 5.63 / 635 / 19
Bucket 2 - 5.61 / 630 / 18.6

Plants look good man! Looks like you actually use a level to train them they're so damn even. Nice work.

Roots looking good. :woohoo:
Thanks man. Heres to hoping they stay that way!
Plants look good man! Looks like you actually use a level to train them they're so damn even. Nice work.
Thanks Jon. Haha, I don't really know how I got it all that even, it just worked out that way after bending down the SBC's as far as I could. I'm sure soon I'll be using boxes and books to level them all out.

Morning! Just stopping by with a couple of pics I snapped before heading out to work. All of the potted plants are looking good after their LST last night. Tops are pointed back towards the light like they should be and here's to hoping we can keep them relatively the same height :laughtwo:

Have a great day folks!

The all look great Slacker Dick!

You've almost got me ready to dig out one of my DWC buckets! :Rasta:

Morning! Just stopping by with a couple of pics I snapped before heading out to work. All of the potted plants are looking good after their LST last night. Tops are pointed back towards the light like they should be and here's to hoping we can keep them relatively the same height :laughtwo:

Have a great day folks!

Nice and neat. Real tidy, infact , OCD tidy and neat. Probably the neatest training I've seen. Great work mate:thumb:
Oh! Talking about neat and tidy. Did you know @Grand Daddy Black irons his underpants? Now that is a neat and tidy OCD.

Nice and neat. Real tidy, infact OCD tidy and neat. Probably the neatest training I've seen. Great work mate:thumb:
Oh! Talking about neat and tidy. Did you know @Grand Daddy Black irons his underpants. Now that is a neat and tidy OCD.
Ha! I'm not that bad, Dick. I fold my drawers but I don't iron them. @Squiggle has been smoking...again. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom