Dick23rk's Fresh Start: Mantis Nutrients Featuring MedicGrow's New Spectrum X+ 880w Light Panel

Thanks, Dick.

Got a new item on my shopping list! :Rasta:

Hey again, just dropping in with a couple quick things.

The roots are exploding now on bucket 1, I didn't even bother to look in bucket 2 yet. Huge difference from yesterday, I'll post both pictures for comparison. This is about 16 hours difference.

Also I noticed some deformities on the skunks, all of them. So it must be a genetic thing. A bunch of 4 fingered leaves. I also found the odd 3 fingered leaves above a node that had 5. Odd, but all of them have the same thing so I'm not concerned at all. Just one of those things I noticed.

The roots are exploding now on bucket 1, I didn't even bother to look in bucket 2 yet. Huge difference from yesterday, I'll post both pictures for comparison. This is about 16 hours difference.

Also I noticed some deformities on the skunks, all of them. So it must be a genetic thing. A bunch of 4 fingered leaves. I also found the odd 3 fingered leaves above a node that had 5. Odd, but all of them have the same thing so I'm not concerned at all. Just one of those things I noticed.

Hey brother I hope all is good. The garden is looking great over this way.

I hope you don’t mind me pulling up a chair. :popcorn:

Hey brother I hope all is good. The garden is looking great over this way.

I hope you don’t mind me pulling up a chair. :popcorn:
So far so good. Thanks. Glad to have you here. I may be able to pick your brain on the dwc side if something arises, I'm sure it will lol

Wow, that root difference in 16 hours is amazing. Good for you. I wouldn't worry about those deformities either since they're on all the plants. You're in killer shape.

Wow, that root difference in 16 hours is amazing. Good for you. I wouldn't worry about those deformities either since they're on all the plants. You're in killer shape.
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. I've seen it before but not usually in every plant. Thanks!

Hey @dick23rk
All lookin spick an span.
Just a question regarding the topping of your girls mate.
Is there any particular reason that you take the bottom 2 branches off as well as the top?
Thanks for taking the time man
Peace an bud
Normally the bottom branches below where you top will end up a lot smaller than the top mains. So once I decide which node I want to top at, normally all the growth below it comes off and I will mainline the top growth once it grows out. The bottom branches you see on these plants will likely be snipped off once big enough for cloning just so I can grab a couple of each to have on hand.

So all in all, if you want all your colas to be roughly the same size, you work off the top 2 mains. Once they grow out a bit you top them again, then you got 4. And if you top all 4 of those new tops again, you'll have 16 tops of the same size.

Well, it was a late evening at work today so by the time I got supper done with and sat down for a few I don't think there's enough time for a full update. But we will go over a few things tonight. A couple packages came today, we will look at those quick. And something is off in the dwc... not a huge problem, yet.

So let's see what we got in the mail today first. We got beans, and a new bestva pro1000 led panel. I won't do a full review on the panel tonight, we will get to that.

Beans, beans and more frigging beans. Can I grow a beanstalk and go find the golden egg? No need to, I already got it, in my pack! One of my beans is like the color of a half dried apple seed, very odd. Anyone ever seen this?

So I got more seeds than this in the package due to extra single freebies, but here is everything that came from expert seeds and garden of green seeds along with their promo seeds. I feel a SOG coming in the future with banana fast. If you see something you like, these 2 are sponsors here on 420 mag.

We also got the test light today from bestva led that they were sending out. I got this light for my future plans of a small veg tent in the corner of my room. I can also use it for cloning since it dims way down. I just hung it up by my photo area to see that everything worked, full review to come later. Here's a picture of it on and off, with my other lights in the background. I'll get a better comparison somewhere else. Seems to work decent for the size.

Now, as for the little issue in our dwc. I just did a quick check and I'd like to get a hold of the nutrient rep first before I take any further steps. Starting to get some spots on the lower leaves on bucket 1, I haven't tested bucket 2 yet as I see no issue there. I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow but here's a quick one.

It appears as though my ph has dropped out of range to 5.35 and tds is rising to about 580ppm. I know what would normally be done here in dwc and that would be to add some plain water to the res, but these are buffered nutrients, ph and tds. It could be that the mix has sat in the res so long now that the buffers are wearing off and not doing their job effectively. So in this case I may just need to top up with some fresh mix to add some buffing agents back in there. I will see what the rep says and correct this tomorrow when I'm done work.

That's it for tonight, will be back tomorrow to get everything worked out. Take care and keep it green out there!

So I was talking with the nutrient rep about the issue with the dwc ph. It looks like I'm going to top up the buckets with fresh nutrient feed and allow the buffers to do their thing and get the ph back up within range. Hopefully this will fix the problem and those spots on the leaves will subside. I'll report all this in the next update along with before and after numbers.

Also, I heard back from our site sponsor MedicGrow about the spectrum x light panel they are shipping out and it's on its way. Should be at its delivery location on Monday and then my buddy will be going across the border to grab it for me since he works cross border every day. (Saves me on crazy shipping charges)
So mid next week I hope to have this beast of a light hung and doing light sunny things.

**Quick/Half Update**

Hey folks, here with a little bit of an update. I figured I'd get back about the big bangs in the dcw buckets since we were last talking about them. We will get to the potted plants in the morning. Let's see what we figured out.

Big Bang - Day 21
So as I mentioned earlier, I was talking to the nutrient rep and it sounds like a proper top up with nutrient mix was the way to go and replenish those buffing agents. Part of me is still wondering though, I got home today and tested both buckets... they were both back up to about 5.7ph with tds in the bubbles at 480-500ppm but at the outer edges of the bucket closer to 600ppm.

I mixed up about 4 liters of feed (20ml nutrient) and top fed through the clay balls. Let it mix up a little with tthe bubbles and tested again. Still showing about the same ph and ppm. I will check it again tomorrow morning and see if there's any drift. I will also start turning off the air and testing the water right away, I believe the pen is being skewed by the moving water, there's tons of bubbles and current.

Not sure what's up with the 1 leaf on bucket 2. It kind of went limp in that one spot for some reason, weirdo. That's the only issue it's really shown. Both are starting to show quick growth.

Let's hope now that they are feeding, the res will straighten out since I'll be topping up more often, that res went 18 days since I mixed it and held within range. Amazing!
Now I'll leave you a few pictures that we took, needing the wife's help now for quick root pics.

Bucket #1

Bucket #2

They're getting ready to blast off, Dick!

Looking good. :Rasta:

They're getting ready to blast off, Dick!

Looking good. :Rasta:
I'm thinking so GDB, thank you. I looked quick this morning and then when I got home from work I looked and thought huh, these leaves look larger. Although I looked before a tea and doobie :laughtwo:
Pure awesomeness that is all
Thanks hashfart! I think the same thing really :cheesygrinsmiley:

**Quick/Half Update**

Hey folks, here with a little bit of an update. I figured I'd get back about the big bangs in the dcw buckets since we were last talking about them. We will get to the potted plants in the morning. Let's see what we figured out.

Big Bang - Day 21
So as I mentioned earlier, I was talking to the nutrient rep and it sounds like a proper top up with nutrient mix was the way to go and replenish those buffing agents. Part of me is still wondering though, I got home today and tested both buckets... they were both back up to about 5.7ph with tds in the bubbles at 480-500ppm but at the outer edges of the bucket closer to 600ppm.

I mixed up about 4 liters of feed (20ml nutrient) and top fed through the clay balls. Let it mix up a little with tthe bubbles and tested again. Still showing about the same ph and ppm. I will check it again tomorrow morning and see if there's any drift. I will also start turning off the air and testing the water right away, I believe the pen is being skewed by the moving water, there's tons of bubbles and current.

Not sure what's up with the 1 leaf on bucket 2. It kind of went limp in that one spot for some reason, weirdo. That's the only issue it's really shown. Both are starting to show quick growth.

Let's hope now that they are feeding, the res will straighten out since I'll be topping up more often, that res went 18 days since I mixed it and held within range. Amazing!
Now I'll leave you a few pictures that we took, needing the wife's help now for quick root pics.

Bucket #1

Bucket #2

Hey there brother dick I hope your good.
Those buckets will pick up the pace now with danglers hitting the mix. Nicely done. That discoloured leaf should work it self out as the plants/roots start taking in up lots of nutrient.
It may not get better but the new growth will tell you if the problem continues.

18 days on the same mix is pretty impressive but as the plants start to get big they will change your water chemistry real quickly. SOBS will drink up to 4L every 24 hr when they r big and happy.
When they start to get large it all about a balanced mix and if running a res for long periods of time your mix won’t be balanced and may end up with some weird numbers or problems popping up. Probably ok because they r young now but something to think about going forward

These water babies grow quickly and with balanced nutrition, targeted feeding
for that week along with a stable ph there’s no stopping them and they will keep you on your toes.

Play safe and enjoy my friend

Hey there brother dick I hope your good.
Those buckets will pick up the pace now with danglers hitting the mix. Nicely done. That discoloured leaf should work it self out as the plants/roots start taking in up lots of nutrient.
It may not get better but the new growth will tell you if the problem continues.

18 days on the same mix is pretty impressive but as the plants start to get big they will change your water chemistry real quickly. SOBS will drink up to 4L every 24 hr when they r big and happy.
When they start to get large it all about a balanced mix and if running a res for long periods of time your mix won’t be balanced and may end up with some weird numbers or problems popping up. Probably ok because they r young now but something to think about going forward

These water babies grow quickly and with balanced nutrition, targeted feeding
for that week along with a stable ph there’s no stopping them and they will keep you on your toes.

Play safe and enjoy my friend
Thanks so much for stopping in kcco, the info is much appreciated!

I have noticed that they are starting to drink since there's been some decent growth which is a good thing.

In talking to the nutrient rep about this I should be able to run the same res (with topping up) right until I flip for flower. Then, do a res change to help avoid any issues and commence flower, that's it. These nutrients are supposed to keep the res balanced for me with their buffing agents. *fingers crossed* what is your take on this, only changing the res once? Every top up is a feed mix and should buffer out.

As far as a balanced nutrition and target feeding, I have the same target thru the whole grow with these nutes as its only 1 bottle and 1 ratio of feed the entire time. 5ml per liter of RO water, sitting at 500ppm the whole grow. Hoping the nutrients hold up their end of the bargain on balanced nutrition.

I'm glad to by trying these nutes in my first time dwc, seems it should be easier to learn as apposed to using my 12 bottle lineup of general hydroponics lol

**Quick/Half Update**

Big Bang - Day 21

Bucket #1

Bucket #2

Holy crap man I can't believe such little baby plants have such long, involved roots. Guess that's why you grow that way. Amazing. Healthy is hot. Great job.

Holy crap man I can't believe such little baby plants have such long, involved roots. Guess that's why you grow that way. Amazing. Healthy is hot. Great job.
This is actually my first real hydro grow, never done dwc so I'm just as amazed as you lol. They are 3 weeks along now, it took a bit to get there, but they should explode this week. I'm digging it so far :slide:

Back
Top Bottom