DIY Stealth Cab, Hydro, LED & Multiple Strains in Small Space - Oh Boy!

Mr. Krip I am indeed sorry to see you're experiencing so much pain before pleasure. Be assured you're not alone in it.

Just got caught up on everything, and man you've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at the problems and they're throwing right back!

On your feelings of the root mass not being able to support such growth... I say great call by jcool09. The physics of the plant size and the smaller root mass just wasn't sitting well in my head.

That STG seems to have a curse on it. I'm too newb to listen to, but I do like what I heard about taking some clones as pruning is necessary anyhow. You'll be ready if things should go south, AND you'll have the new seedlings in the arsenal as well. Just keeping the chamber loaded will result in a much quicker rebound/turnaround.

As was told to me upon my little crisis: Forward my good man, forward.

Shhh. Feel that breeze? That's my positive vibes coming your way.;)

Thanks for the positive vibes and the cool breeze! :surf:

Actually, that was one of several good calls by JCool (Thanks, JC!). The first one was to stay away from the STG cubes! Had I listened earlier, I'd probably would not have lost $50 in quality seeds!

So, I was thinking about this root mass issue...

I was initially planning to throw these girls into flower in a week or two, but I'm quite confident that would be a mistake until they develop a pretty significant root mass to allow them to uptake all the nutes they'll need.

I have a hunch the seedlings, or any healthy clones I can take, may be ready to flower before the waterfarm plants. As long as I can keep them healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see them surpass the more mature distressed plants rather quickly.

That being said, it's a pretty strong testament to the resilliancy of the plant that it can take most of its roots being chopped and still survive. Kinda makes me wonder how bad I have to screw up to actually kill one! :tokin:

Sounds like a good call holding off until the roots have grown a bit and are able to eat well. How true about the resiliency of the plant. I kept a batch of clones going after agressive infection/treatment as a little experiment and was shocked to see how long they went before pulling the plug on them.

Onward!

UPDATE ON WILTED PLANT: The wilted kush has been getting worse on the top, but possibly better on the bottom. I checked it today (after getting the panda film up for lightproofing in the veg chamber!) and it had some white mold growing at the base of the stem. I'm sure this was due to the high humidity of the plastic bag and the fact that I haven't been letting it air out at all.

So, I've now moved to drastic measure to try to save her...

I put her in a tub filled about an inch or so with a solution of H2O2, Superthrive & Hygrozyme and put an air hose right under the cube (I'm out of air stones!).

wilt1.jpg

I did notice some roots starting to come out of the cube, so maybe the bag helped her heal a little, but she's definately got a long way to go!

If this can't get her going, I'm not sure what else to do except make some room in the trash. :grinjoint:

Let's hope she recovers!

Fingers are crossed for you Mr. Krip.

Looking at the trunk on that thing leaves little doubt that a great % of root mass must have been cut. Stimulating root growth seems to be of the essence. Not to muddy the water, but a long time volume grower I know had insisted that I keep and use a product called Nitrozyme... he gave me a bottle. He said he's used it for years on every crop. When foliar fed it stimulates the growth of more bud sites. Down below he swears by it's ability to stimulate and accelerate root growth. Being newb I can't say whether it would be wise to try, but in my case it has kept the moms quite bushy and full as I foliar feed them with it. It works hormonally. FWIW.

One last thought... is that cube elevated a bit so that roots can extend themselves unobstructed?

WnF, LOL...I think the "zyme" discussion has been very well played out here, but I do have some Hygrozyme I'm using now until I get my delivery of Dutch Masters Gold Zone, which Chrgrs swears by and has been having great results with in non-organic DWC.

That's a GREAT call on elevating the cube so the roots can spread. I did not, but on your suggestion, I just cut the top off a plastic cup to make a ring. I have the air hose under the ring (blowing air up to the center) and the cube now resting on the ring.

I can't tell if there's been any change yet, but am monitoring closely and will update when I can.

Thanks for the help! :thanks:

Oh...one more thing...with that one plant out of the veg chamber, I was able to lower the lights significantly in the veg chamber and still get good coverage on all other plants. I'd rather make the extra room by moving a couple into flower, but I definately like being able to get the lights low!

I read through the whole "zyme" thing and there is quite a difference between Hygrozyme and Nitrozyme. Although both end in the same suffix, they could not be further apart in function. Hygrozyme is an enzymatic "cleaner" so to speak. While Nitrozyme is a plant extract that stimulates the plant's existing growth hormones given whatever stage of growth the plant is currently in.

From the Mfg:

HOW DOES NITROZYME WORK?
Plants progress through a cycle of growth stages. Using the example of wheat, the plant starts out as a seed, germinates, goes through the seedling stage, through the three, five and seven leaf stages, and finally forming a head and producing new seed. When a plant is under stress at any given stage of growth, reduced levels of cytokinin growth hormones are produced. If this reduction occurs at certain key stages of growth such as the tillering stage, yields can be affected. By making available extra hormone to the plant at these stages, you can influence the crops final yield. Timing of the application is essential. If you apply a hormone to a plant, the result will be stimulated growth of the type which the plant is currently undergoing. If the plant is forming roots, more root growth can occur. If tillering is underway, more tillers will be formed. If stem growth is in progress, that is what will occur. If flowering is in progress more flowering will occur.

Sorry, not to belabor the point... just wanted to state the difference and spread a little knowledge that was passed to me.

Glad to hear you were able to get the lights down.

Cheers!

Hey weednfeed I just follower your report on the stink bucket.Great craftsmanship skills:thumb:

LOL yeah the zyme was my fault just couldnt explain the hydrozyme was to add beneficals to clean a living organic res with out killing the beneficial organisms.Its all I ment to say but yes lol that got a little out of hand and I appoligize for any rudness.From what I hear DM gold is a great product:peacetwo:

Yeah sorry about that krip I should have mensioned to pull the bag off every now and then.Yeah you will get mold if its not properly ventalated.If you got some root growth thats a good sign.:thumb:

I read through the whole "zyme" thing and there is quite a difference between Hygrozyme and Nitrozyme. Although both end in the same suffix, they could not be further apart in function. Hygrozyme is an enzymatic "cleaner" so to speak. While Nitrozyme is a plant extract that stimulates the plant's existing growth hormones given whatever stage of growth the plant is currently in.

From the Mfg:

HOW DOES NITROZYME WORK?
Plants progress through a cycle of growth stages. Using the example of wheat, the plant starts out as a seed, germinates, goes through the seedling stage, through the three, five and seven leaf stages, and finally forming a head and producing new seed. When a plant is under stress at any given stage of growth, reduced levels of cytokinin growth hormones are produced. If this reduction occurs at certain key stages of growth such as the tillering stage, yields can be affected. By making available extra hormone to the plant at these stages, you can influence the crops final yield. Timing of the application is essential. If you apply a hormone to a plant, the result will be stimulated growth of the type which the plant is currently undergoing. If the plant is forming roots, more root growth can occur. If tillering is underway, more tillers will be formed. If stem growth is in progress, that is what will occur. If flowering is in progress more flowering will occur.

Sorry, not to belabor the point... just wanted to state the difference and spread a little knowledge that was passed to me.

Glad to hear you were able to get the lights down.

Cheers!

Interesting stuff WnF! I did some additional research, and you are correct that Hygrozyme and Nitrozyme are completely different. Hygrozyme is targeted specifically at the root zone and Nitrozyme will boost the plant in any stage it's in. I've seen Nitrozyme described as a "more complex, natural version of SuperThrive" but here's a good high-level overview I found of the three:

Nitrozyme
Nitrozyme is a plant extract derived from the plant Ascophyllum Nodosum and is found in the Northern Atlantic Ocean and the Norwegian Sea. A hardy plant, it grows on rocks in sea water, as cold as -20°C during the winter and as warm as 32°C during the summer. This temperature extreme helps explain the abundance of certain hormones in its plant extract.

Nitrozyme contains growth hormones including cytokinins, auxins, enzymes, ethylenes and many micro-nutrients. Of particular interest are the cytokinins. As a plant goes through its growth cycle, it is subjected to stress which leads to reduced levels of cytokinin being produced. If this reduction occurs at certain key stages of growth such as the tillering stage, yields can be affected. Adding extra hormones available to the plant at each growth stage can influence the crops final yield. However, timing of the application is essential. If you apply a hormone to a plant, the result will be stimulated growth of the type which the plant is currently undergoing. If the plant is forming roots, more root growth can occur. If tillering is underway, more tillers will be formed. If stem growth is in progress that is what will occur. However Nitrozyme should not be sprayed onto a plant in flowering stage.

Nitrozyme is non toxic with no environmental hazards; sold commercially it is a natural, quality controlled product.

Hygrozyme
Hygrozyme is a culture of pure enzymes, developed specifically for horticultural applications. It is derived entirely from Natural ingredients that are induced by fermentation processes to produce bacteria free enzymes and complex chains of amino acids. Enzymes have a proven role in the root zone and can greatly enhance plant performance by eliminating harmful organisms and creating a healthy environment for roots to perform their functions. The bio-fermentation process used to produce Hygrozyme is unique and exclusive to Sipco

Hygrozyme is the result of ten years research and development by leading enzyme company Sipco Bio Engineering of Canada. This company has a long history of excellence in the field of enzymatic formulations for various applications – Waste water treatment, pharmaceutical and medical technology and, of course, horticultural products.

Hygrozyme was developed and field-tested with the help of hydroponic growers, farmers and industry professionals – including members of various growers’ co-operatives in California and Canada. HYGROZYME may well be "the greatest breakthrough in Horticulture in the last decade."

Other enzyme products are contaminated by the leftover bacteria from the fermentation process and can rapidly spoil and lose their efficiency – however Hygrozyme is unique in that all bacteria are eliminated from the liquid, by a special process, before it is bottled.

Hygrozyme has an almost unlimited shelf like and retains its efficacy until it is used by the grower. It offers all the benefits of cultured enzymes in one powerful and stable solution.

SuperThrive
Consisting of 50 bio-usable vitamins and hormones SuperThrive is a product designed for improving all aspects of plant growth. SuperThrive is ideal for use on cuttings and seedlings (to help resist stress), young plants (to improve root, stem and leaf development), flowering plants (to induce flowering and improve yields) and is extremely good in sick and stressed plants (relieves stress). SuperThrive is the number one growth enhancer in the USA and comes with a warranty.

It seems the combination of SuperThrive & Hygrozyme is what I need for roots, at least until the DM Zone gets here.

Sorry for no updates yesterday, but here's what's going on...

The two seedlings are both coming along nicely. The PE is exactly what I'd expect after it's first week above ground. I added some additional perlite to the cup to help support her long stem. The LS* still looks relatively small/stunted, especially since I started her 3 days earlier, but she appears healthy and continues to grow. Maybe I'll get a plant from an STG cube yet?

The wilted Kush SEEMS to be doing much better in her bubble bath. Most of the older and larger leaves are dead at this point, and it may be too early to tell, and I certainly don't want to jynx it if it is getting better, but...

I do see a LOT more roots now coming from the cube. Also, I see what appears to be numerous new growth sites. In reality, they may be older sites that haven't died yet but weren't really visible (or I just didn't notice them!) before so I'll monitor those over the next few days and see if she's really trying to pump out some new leaves. I cleaned/changed her res this morning.

The two Haze plants seem like they've stopped growing the last couple of days They don't look like they're in jeopardy, so I suspect they're now focusing on their root development.

The Kush in the waterfarm is doing awesome! :)

She was showing roots on the last res change and is really starting to fill in with the LST I did. There are now at least a dozen new growth sites and the existing sites are adding new nodes. Where I only had one really viable spot to take a clone from a few days ago, there are now many more places clones could be taken. I am gonna let her recover more, before I take additional clones, but I'm sure I'm gonna have to trim her top as she continues to get her roots back so there will be plenty of clones coming from her, I'm sure.

Speaking of clones, the one clone I did take from her a few days ago still looks healthy. No roots showing yet, but no wilting going on either, so it looks good.

I'll try to update with some pics later today.

Happy Harvests!

Speaking of clones, the one clone I did take from her a few days ago still looks healthy. No roots showing yet, but no wilting going on either, so it looks good.

Should see roots in 10-14 days. Using a heating pad on low underneath a covered seedling tray will help speed things up.

Should see roots in 10-14 days. Using a heating pad on low underneath a covered seedling tray will help speed things up.

Thanks, JC. I do understand it take about 10 days or more to start seeing roots, so wasn't concerned at all, just reporting for the folks! :tokin:

I do not have a heating mat underneath since I figured having her under the grow light (where it's about 78* or so) would be better than taking her out of the veg chamber and putting her on the mat. I do, however, have her under a humidity dome.

I appreciate your help, as always!

Thanks for all the good thoughts guys...Here's the pic's I said I'd post earlier:

First...this one's for H!:

GOT IT!

DMGZ.jpg

I added 2ml/gal to all the res'. I'll add to to the hempys when I water tomorrow. Hope to see some nice root growth now! :)

Here's the PE seedling getting nice & big:

PE12.jpg

The LS* is still small but now working on her 3rd set of leaves:

LS125.jpg

The clone is doing well:

clone114.jpg

And finally, the waterfarm kush with the LST...

Just to put things in perspective, here she is from January 24th (one week ago):

2011-01-24_RH1_011.jpg

And here she is today:

AK20.jpg

You can really see the difference and all the new growth has nice color and without all the leaf deformities (i.e. claw shape) that it had when it got here.

More to come! :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom