DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Is this method anything for we who smoke the buds as well or is it more for oil-production?

In my opinion this should be the preferred method for drying, period. Get me the money and I'll buy an expensive dryer. Anyone who grows would benefit from this. It improves the effect in ways that'll surprise you.

We're developing this one on the fly Kraise, and how wonderful to have you join our little adventure.

Which one is the link to your latest journal? I'm overloaded with threads, so what's one more? :laughtwo:

My current thread isn't in my signature Sue as I've kind of left it to go private so that I don't feel pressured into doing everything perfectly correct, as I never do lol. It's just me playing around but I do have some ideas regarding bananas and the production of Ethylene gas (which acts as a plant hormone) that causes other fruits to ripen at a quicker rate, I'm guessing you can see where I'm going with this. Like I said it's all for fun and pretty much my own poking the fire in a curiosity killed the cat kind of way.

I'm not up to the stage where I'm using the bananas just yet but I have it all mapped out and ready to roll. Here is a link just in case you would like to pop in and have a looksee when it happens:

A Calamitous Cascade Of Catastrophes

As for the fridge idea I'm in love with it already. I had heard about this in the past but never really taken much notice of it, but looking at it I can see why it would help preserve the terpene profile. I'm not too sure about the freezing part though as I was always under the impression that the trichome glands swelled and burst as the moisture content froze, maybe there is a way to counter that. Anyway I would love to be able to do this refrigeration method but as my teenage children use the fridge I would be getting some strange looks and giving even stranger answers to their questions. Just a few more years and they'll be out of my hair, sweet freedom at last :)

My current thread isn't in my signature Sue as I've kind of left it to go private so that I don't feel pressured into doing everything perfectly correct, as I never do lol. It's just me playing around but I do have some ideas regarding bananas and the production of Ethylene gas (which acts as a plant hormone) that causes other fruits to ripen at a quicker rate, I'm guessing you can see where I'm going with this. Like I said it's all for fun and pretty much my own poking the fire in a curiosity killed the cat kind of way.

I'm not up to the stage where I'm using the bananas just yet but I have it all mapped out and ready to roll. Here is a link just in case you would like to pop in and have a looksee when it happens:

A Calamitous Cascade Of Catastrophes

As for the fridge idea I'm in love with it already. I had heard about this in the past but never really taken much notice of it, but looking at it I can see why it would help preserve the terpene profile. I'm not too sure about the freezing part though as I was always under the impression that the trichome glands swelled and burst as the moisture content froze, maybe there is a way to counter that. Anyway I would love to be able to do this refrigeration method but as my teenage children use the fridge I would be getting some strange looks and giving even stranger answers to their questions. Just a few more years and they'll be out of my hair, sweet freedom at last :)

Right there with you on the kids thing lol me too!

if placing in the fridge open faced, i'd get the odiferous foods out of there...cheeses, onions, etc..:Namaste:

ive tried ripe bananas and peels in tent during mid to late bloom..

i need to try again..to confirm it worked. someone should try too...i dont have an indoor grow going..only outdoor.

:)

Here is a pic of one of the pans I will use. I have another just like it. :circle-of-love::peace:

20170607_213046_resized_1_.jpg

if placing in the fridge open faced, i'd get the odiferous foods out of there...cheeses, onions, etc..:Namaste:

ive tried ripe bananas and peels in tent during mid to late bloom..

i need to try again..to confirm it worked. someone should try too...i dont have an indoor grow going..only outdoor.

:)

Can you elaborate on this Ziggy? I have some plants in late bloom right now, and banana peels are a regular thing around my home. I could start doing this tomorrow. What would I be watching for, and where should I place them? On the soil under the plant?

Edit: I see Kraise left a post dealing with this. :cheesygrinsmiley: Sometimes these threads take off like a rocket. :laughtwo:

I will be doing this in a couple weeks with my next Carnival. :circle-of-love::peace:

I dried part of a recent Carnival harvest like this Dave, and the smell and taste were strongly lemon, as in lemon zest. That smell filled the room when I broke it up to smoke. I can't wait to see what you get. :battingeyelashes:

Interesting enough to experiment qaza? :battingeyelashes:

I can't speak for qaza, but between this and that crazy dewey mist aeroponics deal that Pennywise and a few others are playing with...My garage is gonna look like a laboratory haha!

If I can do this in a dorm room type refrigerator, I've got an empty one that I can plug in and get going. I have a harvest coming up in a week or so... my first .. so getting to smoke it sooner would be fan-frigging-tastic! .

that's cool! I have to ask you to share progress with us if you can. My harvest is still 6 weeks away so it would be cool to see

So lets try and wrap our or MY head around this.. I have a harvest in a week and want to try this

So Harvest Buds/branches
wash branches per Sue's Bucket system
Hang to drip for 4hrs Or do we do the 8hr Hang/dry in a closet or dark tent???
Do we trim the Buds Now?
Snip buds off of the stem and place in mason jars, loosly and not bunched up. I saw Sue had cheese cloth on hers instead of the metal lid, is this the plan??
How long, or do we, swap into a paper sack??

How long does this take, sounds like about 2 weeks

Excited for this, with the low RH in the desert this is a great option for me:thumb:

I dried part of a recent Carnival harvest like this Dave, and the smell and taste were strongly lemon, as in lemon zest. That smell filled the room when I broke it up to smoke. I can't wait to see what you get. :battingeyelashes:

my Carnival/Cotton Candy blend i grew was and is very lemony.. :)

Can you elaborate on this Ziggy? I have some plants in late bloom right now, and banana peels are a regular thing around my home. I could start doing this tomorrow. What would I be watching for, and where should I place them? On the soil under the plant?

Edit: I see Kraise left a post dealing with this. :cheesygrinsmiley: Sometimes these threads take off like a rocket. :laughtwo:

eythelene gas - Google Search

I placed 1 or 2 ripe whole bananas (they may attract fruit flies) in my small tent with the flowering girls in the 4x4 tent.
when i ate the bananas left the skins for a day or 2..

I did this same time as my trials w/ Low and Slow during IMO, 11/15-4/16 in my journal.

The chief benefit of Low and Slow drying is the ability to retain almost all of the terpenes and flavonoids. When we hang to dry these volitile molecules float away with the air. They weigh next to nothing, so evaporation is swift. In the first week alone you'll lose over 30% of the monoterpenes you had at harvest. Those monoterpenes include myrcene, the terpene that helps the cannabinoids get a fast track through the Blood-Brain Barrier so they can attach to the CB1 receptors and introduce euphoria. I don't know about you, but this is a feature I want to support, as well as all the functions of all the other terpenes that get protected by drying low and slow.

That's some serious information here, thanks for sharing!
Also i would like to give it a try with my WW autos that are close to harvesting
420-magazine-mobile122913055.jpg
420-magazine-mobile505082112.jpg

I am confused, i didn't get the exact steps on this,
Can you give some more specific information on the procedure?

Back
Top Bottom