Energy costs?

Funny my rates go up the more I use. F*ck So Cal Edison... I just received courtesy letter from them that I am almost to tier 3 usage and if I hit that I will incur a state mandated high usage charge

Tier 1 - .19 per kwh first 375 kwh

Tier 2 - .25 per kwh I beileve up to 1100 kwh

Tier 3 - .43 per kwh

Funny my rates go up the more I use. F*ck So Cal Edison... I just received courtesy letter from them that I am almost to tier 3 usage and if I hit that I will incur a state mandated high usage charge

Tier 1 - .19 per kwh first 375 kwh

Tier 2 - .25 per kwh I beileve up to 1100 kwh

Tier 3 - .43 per kwh
Mine’s like this, except I get different rates depending on time of day also. Between 4-9pm costs up to 0.55¢ per kWh.

:passitleft:

Mine’s like this, except I get different rates depending on time of day also. Between 4-9pm costs up to 0.55¢ per kWh.

:passitleft:
Holy crap! Now I understand why LED's are so popular. You're paying 5X what I am. Where are you?

You can't compare electric prices with California. That state is screwing everyone. My mother lives there on a fixed income and electrical rates push them to their limits all the time. That's just to stay cool not grow.

They create their own crises so they can hike prices. If they want more money they just schedule a shut down for maintenance then hike up the prices because they don't have enough power because of the shut down. They also know lots of people use lights to grow their stuff. They control the electric so they will find a way to control YOU with it.

Holy crap! Now I understand why LED's are so popular. You're paying 5X what I am. Where are you?
I am in So Cal also, dehumidifier is the power hog, causes lots of heat the ac fights to lower temp. Ongoing battle...

Ontario
7PM - 7AM= $0.065 Kw/H
7AM - 11AM=$0.094 Kw/H
11AM - 5PM=$0.134 Kw/H
5PM - 7PM = $0.094 Kw/H

There's also delivery charges, maintenance charges, taxes etc etc etc, it works out that we have some of the highest rates in North America. Even running my 1000W HPS light for 12 hours a day at the cheapest time still costs about $140/month and that's just for 1 bulb!

Ontario
7PM - 7AM= $0.065 Kw/H
7AM - 11AM=$0.094 Kw/H
11AM - 5PM=$0.134 Kw/H
5PM - 7PM = $0.094 Kw/H

There's also delivery charges, maintenance charges, taxes etc etc etc, it works out that we have some of the highest rates in North America. Even running my 1000W HPS light for 12 hours a day at the cheapest time still costs about $140/month and that's just for 1 bulb!
That Canadian dollars?

Way, way way too much. Summer growing ends tomorrow as the electric for the lights plus needing some AC plus normal house AC needing to start coming into play ruins growing unless I want a 600+ dollar bill all summer. Time of
use plan so 4pm-9pm is the on peak, and they have some tiny baseline that is set for a level more appropriate for the Amish than for people who live in the modern day.
electricrates.jpg

I am finding this a very interesting topic - I chose to grow outside and in a small greenhouse (I'm a first timer) just to get around these cost but that comes with a whole new set of problems. I'm in Central Ontario, Canada and was curious if anyone had figured out their cost to run lights, etc.

4 1000w HPS @12/12
12 inch extraction fan @ 24/7
1200w AC @ 24/7
360w QB @ 18/6

$120 a month for electricity
Wow!! Mines like 6 or 7 times that.
Worst of it is, I live in Scotland. We literally have that much free energy from the wind farms that the English pay the govt to turn them off so that we peasants still have to pay top dollar for it. So far this year we've produced double what it would take to run the entire country (for basically free) but were still forced to pay a fortune.
Absolutely infuriating :(

Hey Marsbadrock - Is $120 the total or just for your Grow?? After battling mosquitoes and this oppressive heat lately I'm thinking it might be worth it to keep a controlled environment. But I'm so damn cheap I wanted to use the sun and wind and rain - you know, like Tarzan or something.

Hey Marsbadrock - Is $120 the total or just for your Grow?? After battling mosquitoes and this oppressive heat lately I'm thinking it might be worth it to keep a controlled environment. But I'm so damn cheap I wanted to use the sun and wind and rain - you know, like Tarzan or something.

That's just for the grow. It's in it's own building on it's own meter.

Back
Top Bottom