FINALLY Got it Rollin!

Re: FINALLY got it rollin'!

Just an update for the lighting, which has been nerve wrecking considering the amount to spend, wife is about over it!!!:smokin:
Instead of the HGL or 180w Pro-Source I instead ordered the PPF-800 from Haight Solid State!! Should be here Friday. :)
I will post up picks of current batch under CFL for veg and of course update with pics of the flower cab once the light gets here. Thx everyone! I am excited.
Jawasan :peace:

Well just an update to say I have been all over the map as far as figuring out what I wanted to do.... so many choices and methods, so little $$$ and patience! Started with DWC only and really can't seem to quit fukin' with the damn things. Not good on my part. :smokin:

Soooooooo, I switched most of the 3gal DWC buckets to 10gal tubs. I finally got pest control, some DR. DOOM "Spider Mite Knockout" and other pest.... but my leaves didn't like the pesticide so much, they started to curl and get dark green, so I misted them heavy to wash it off. I am definitely spraying lighter and further away next time.

Growth has been slow as far as I am concerned, wife said she notices growth everyday. Maybe I look at them too much!!

Anyhow, plants look good, a few burnt on the leaf tips from learning curve, but nothing serious.
I have yet to succeed in FIMMing and only wind up with leaves that are blunted when they grow out... perhaps gotta take more off?

In the 3 gal bucket all 4 plants have a somewhat milky translucent slime on the root growth. I have no clue what it is but have been searching. I can only think it is something to do with the fact they came out of someone's back yard and I didn't bath/wash the roots before switching them to my buckets. A contaminate or somethin'. Looks like mucus, like someone spit in my water and it clung to the roots. BUT WITH THAT said, the plants look good themselves?? Go figure.
These has something on roots:
IMG_24161.JPG

As for todays numbers:
Veg cab hover around 84-87* (they stay 24/24 under a 200w cfl)
Water out of my tap is
PH 7.85
PPM 212
Temp 70.28

*Bubble tub only
February 1st (I use a Hanna meter)
PH 5.52
PPM 643
Temp 72*

February 2nd
PH 5.93
PPM 639
Temp 74*

So what do I decipher from these 2 sets of numbers guys? Plants are eating correct? I adjusted it back to 5.45 PH and 645 PPM

IMG_24173.JPG

Nice setup. Just a tip, if that is water droplets on the inside of the lid algae could become a problem. That lid looks translucent. I've seen duct tape, silver duct tape, paint and so on. I'd ask around for what is safe, as far as paint, or anything with fumes.

Nice setup. Just a tip, if that is water droplets on the inside of the lid algae could become a problem. That lid looks translucent. I've seen duct tape, silver duct tape, paint and so on. I'd ask around for what is safe, as far as paint, or anything with fumes.

Thanks Frosty, I am on it with the silver tape this evening )have three tubs to do!). It most certainly is droplets from the bubbles inside and it is translucent. Lord knows I tried to find a container that was solid in color that was the size I wanted but no luck, and i didn't want 12-14 gal containers! Too much weight in upper cab. This was just put in the cab but I will be redoing the outside with silver tape when I do a change in a few days (the tote container itself is see-thru).
But the mucus that is the problem for me is in the bucket that is completely black. That's the one that's getting me. no light gets in that one at all.

Slimey on roots is NOT good.

Check the smell or odor of the roots. They are suppsoed to smell like fresh cut lettuce. If they smell like something rotten, you got root rot or pythium. Let us know.

Will do that in a minute and get back with ya'! :( Downside is I have a low gag factor, like Stevo on Jackass! No likey bad/rotten smells! lol

You could find some white plastic to cover the top (just thought of), or the special growing plastics.

Sugg. #1 As far as the slime, run gallons of water thru the bucket/plant cups rinsing as much of the slime as you can. Or if you feel up to it pull the setup apart. Empty out the pots and rinse the clay and roots real good, scrub bucket, rinse all inside parts.

Sugg. #2 Try some hygrozyme just in the problem bucket.

Sugg. #3 Try peroxide.

I wouldn't combine 2 and 3, but would 1&2 or 1&3.

Good luck on that pesky slime.

Thanks Frosty. I think I'll do the foil/silver tape as another trip so soon the the hydro shop will drive the girl insane! I have been doing the peroxide, perhaps i will switch to hygrozyme.
I have no problems taking the whole thing apart right down to their roots and starting them over in a sense. This is why I purposely held off on buying seeds, I know my learning disability, no denial! ha!
I'll hit you guys up in a bit with an update, pics and the like. :slide:
From writing journals to the grow itself, all a path of learning and enlightenment.

Nice setup brought my folding chair and a cooler for this one. As for the slime the tape will help. Was the temps you have for the air or the res? 72 is good for the cab but bad for the res. roots love dark cool areas(not cold like to make the res sweat or anything but mid 60's is AOK.

After looking at your equipment again i realized that the temps you got ARE for your res. so i decided to add a couple of ways to cool it.
1. If ya put silver tape on the res it will reflect light/heat away from your res.
2. Add some -like five or six- ice cubes in some stocking or anything else that will keep the roots and ice away from eachother. Don't want the old tongue on a light pole effect.
3. Freeze a bottle of water and just drop it in the res. and let it float around.

Res. temp is almost as important and ppm and ph. hotter res= higher chance of pathogens

After looking at your equipment again i realized that the temps you got ARE for your res. so i decided to add a couple of ways to cool it.
1. If ya put silver tape on the res it will reflect light/heat away from your res.
2. Add some -like five or six- ice cubes in some stocking or anything else that will keep the roots and ice away from eachother. Don't want the old tongue on a light pole effect.
3. Freeze a bottle of water and just drop it in the res. and let it float around.

Res. temp is almost as important and ppm and ph. hotter res= higher chance of pathogens

Thanks Stretch for the input. Yes my res temps tend to get higher than what is desired so it looks like I will be on frozen bottle patrol until I can afford a water chiller. Unfortunately the AC for the bedroom is also what cools the bathroom.

It sucks how things seem to work out that way eh.

Thanks Stretch for the input. Yes my res temps tend to get higher than what is desired so it looks like I will be on frozen bottle patrol until I can afford a water chiller. Unfortunately the AC for the bedroom is also what cools the bathroom.

Frozen bottle in the reservior can damage roots and plants!! People on here have tried it. I point a fan directly at my reservior and it lowers the temps 4-5 degrees. Another option someone came up with is to set your reservior in a bigger container and place the ice water in the surrounding container.

Well I have 2 fans on both bubblers now, we'll see how it goes. I will more than likely have to resort to a window unit to cool the ambient air in bathroom down as well.
I took some better pics of the mucus crap on my roots, which by the way look great further up the net. Seems like total cleansing/surgery is due tomorrow.
BTW, no foul smell, seems good in that area.
Heres a few pics...
IMG_24202.JPG

IMG_24212.JPG

IMG_24192.JPG

Here is a pic of the tops......
IMG_24272.JPG

and some lst I have going on..... maybe a bit too early to do it ya' think?
IMG_24261.JPG

BTW, this bucket hasn't been converted over yet, BUT I will have it reset tomorrow.

They are all looking good brother! Just do a good cleanout on that one tank with the slime and you should be good. Maybe a little hydrogen peroxide(tbls. per/gal) in there for a preventative.

jawasan, tape job looks good. Bummer for the slime, like Theanswer said a good cleanout should do you good. Plants are looking good. Keep up the good work!

Before you go adding h2o2 try just washing of he roots. With no foul smell to it it makes me question root rot. If your using organic nutes they can leave a brown film on the roots that just washes off. Hopefully that's it cause root rot sucks the big one.

Back
Top Bottom